GMC Jam Discussion The Gratified GMC Jam #6 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 467

I'd like to see a Duality. Maybe 2uality or something.

If you go for a third you can call it Triality or something lol.

But yeah Duality 2 with a bigger cast of characters could be cool. I'd be interested in that. The last one was pretty fun.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
But yeah Duality 2 with a bigger cast of characters could be cool.
Gimme 6 days and you got it! :p

Yep, the cast wouldn't necessarily be big because I'll need to draw them as well, but if I make it, it will be with new people ;) I'll make Duality 2 if I don't get a better idea.

How about making a spinoff, like a Duality racing or fighting game? Nobody would see that coming! ...unless they read this forum post and your future reply to it, that is.
Fighting game sounds good!

Xor

@XorDev
Sounds fun and it's been a while since I've done one. I'm in!
Anybody want to work on a game with me? I'm well experienced with GML and shaders, but could use a hand with graphics, audio or maybe even ideas.
PM me here or on twitter if you are interested.

G

Guest User

Well, seems I'm kinda busy around Jam time, but I went ahead and offered some fanart for 4th place~
If I really like how the theme turns out, though, I'll make my excuses and join in with you all- I can only program right now though, so artists looking for a programmer be on alert! :3

Edit: also HYYPPEEE!!!!!11!1!!11!1! x'D

0.Bytes

JUST LEEROY - In the spirit of 'Leeroy Jenkins', charge!
NEVER DEBUG - When all is said and done, if any game runs, it wins.
CHASE DEATH - For some reason, you need to kill yourself. The internet says so, so it must be true.
Loved the Never Debug theme :D

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Ooh the timing is convenient for me!
Despite working on the weekend I might actually join this jam, though it's been a long while since I've used GM.

The more the merrier right?
Your jam games are always the best, please join! :D

trg601

Theme guesses: (Using xworder to find words)
  • Psychedelic
  • Atmospheres
  • Benevolence
  • Assignments
  • Overpowered
  • Kitchenette

Micah_DS

I am hoping for at least a hundred participants. Last jams have seen like what, 30-40, at most? This one should be big! :D
Actually, the first (restarted) jam had a whopping 81 games submitted, 2nd had 49, 3rd had 37, 4th had 43, and the 5th had 38. But yeah, probably going to be a lot more than usual, since YYG has gotten a little more behind it. On that note, I hope everyone goes for short and sweet games.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
It's time to reveal more characters of the theme!

- O - - - R - E - - -

Bonus hint: A word formed using these known letters (with scope of repetition of the same letter, but not including any other letters of the alphabet) might have a connection with the actual theme.​

E

elementbound

Here are a few automated guesses with some scripting :D
bombardelle
colporteurs
concernedly
concertedly
concurrence
concurrency
confarreate
conferrence
conferrer's
confirmedly
contortedly
convergence
convergency
copperheads
countreeman
countrieman
couturieres
gopherberry
loggerheads
mooncreeper
noncurrency
nonpariello
nonperverse
poliorcetic
poltergeist
rope-reeved
wonderberry
wonderments
woodcreeper

G

Guest User

We discussed it in the Discord but I think overall the most valid choice for one word themes with these letters is poltergeist. So it's probably either poltergeist or is more than one word imo. A poltergeist theme could be really fun to play with though. x3

andev

When we get more words (or specifically, spaces), we can start using tools like this. For example, pick a word, any word (2 actually):
First word
BOG
BOT
BOX
BOY
COG
CON
COP
COW
DOG
DOT
FOG
FOX
GOD
GOT
HOG
HOP
HOT
HOW
JOB
JOG
LOG
MOB
MOD
MOM
MOP
MOW
NOD
NOT
NOW
POD
POP
POT
SOB
SON
SOW
TON
YOU

Second word:
ARSENAL
ARSENIC
BRIEFLY
CRUELTY
FRIENDS
PRIESTS
URGENCY

For example:
NOT CRUELTY
HOT PRIESTS
DOG FRIENDS
POT URGENCY
BOT ARSENAL

Or:
First word:
COLLAR
COUGAR
DOLLAR
TOPBAR
TOWBAR

Second word:
EACH
EASY
EBAY
EDGY
EGGS
EGGY
EULA
EVIL

I've filtered out some of the "unlikely words" that are either not recognisable in daily english, or just wouldn't make sense in the context (like "cod", why would it be specifically cod and not fish). Some of them seem to be complete gibberish as well. If you try it, you'll see what I mean.

I think I'll wait until more letters are revealed because actual english looks like symbols now, from staring at gibberish for so long, just from those two.

Last edited:
V

Vyking

:I

That was stupid of me. It seems I can't count. Thanks to Micah_DS for pointing that out.

Now that I know that it's 11 letters, the list is a lot shorter.

7 words match this pattern.
concernedly
concertedly
concurrence
concurrency
confirmedly
convergence
poltergeist

Reference: This website http://www.lesnalder.co.nz/xword.php

some of these don't seem like english...
Meh hope u liek

Actually this just assumes this is one word.
Meh

Last edited by a moderator:

Micah_DS

You're one character short though, btw. It's 11 characters, not just 10. :p

My hopeful guess is CONVERGENCE, but I can't think up a word for the hint to work with the idea of things coming together. I don't really want it to be POLTERGEIST, but I think it's a really good guess. If ERROR is what the bonus hint is referring to, it sort of fits with the chaotic nature of a poltergeist.

Code:
XOXXXRXEXXX
NO SORCERER <- Your Wizard is about to die...
NO TORPEDOS <- Just Say No to stealthy warfare
NO WARHEADS <- Peaceful Resolution
NO GARMENTS <- Did it just get chilly in here?
DOCTOR EVIL <- Muhuhahahaha
FOR FREEEEEEDOM <- BraveHeart
LOVE REEBOK <- Commercial Interests
TOYS R EPIC <- play time
FOR FRIENDS <- Never play alone again

T

Timmy O'Toole

I'm gonna see if I can handle this. I've come a long way since starting and think I can make a small scale game that works. The hardest part will be coming up with a mechanic I don't hate or isn't cliched to death but I think this will be a good opportunity to put myself to the test. I still have plenty and more to learn but I usually can get things running after researching a bit when I can't work it out on my own. So a small scale game should be feasible.

R

RargraveEntertainment

"DISASTERS" was already a theme in a Jam back in the former GMC, so I guess not.
Hah, maybe I should have joined earlier then :).

I see it says I need 5 posts before I can add links. I assume that means I should do that before the Jam?

I've also downloaded a few games from the previous Jam to get a sense of things. Any other forum/Jam specific things you'd point out to a newbie?

trg601

]I see it says I need 5 posts before I can add links. I assume that means I should do that before the Jam?

I've also downloaded a few games from the previous Jam to get a sense of things. Any other forum/Jam specific things you'd point out to a newbie?
You should definitely make 5 posts so you can add links, otherwise it will be hard to let us play your game!
And since you are just starting, I would recommend keeping your concepts small and achievable. I have often gone too ambitious and ended up cutting good stuff out of games just to finish in time.

hippyman

Poltergeist is the best I've seen from any hangman solvers. I can't find anything that takes possible spaces into account.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Meanwhile, don't forget that O R E with potential repetitions of letters "might have a connection with the actual theme." Might not, but still. $;^ P

Oreo & error have already been mentioned; ore and roe are more possibilities. However, POLTERGEIST and error aren't too far removed from each other, yeah. $F^ b

It's going to be terrible if we've already guessed it this quickly, eh? lol
(It's going to be wonderful if we've yet overlooked something and are wrong, eh? lol!)

Status
Not open for further replies.