• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Good LORD that feels great!

RangerX

Guys, you know that feeling when you struggled and been sweating for days making something, debugging it and then it finally works? Good lord that feels awesome.

Its been like 3 days I was revamping my save system. Had all sorts of crap happening. I even went to sleep with thoughts of "giving up" and now it works fine. I feel relieved so much!
Care to share some stories of yours?

Last edited:
S

seanm

I've finally gotten a scaling system that does what I want, and works well for my specific game. feelsgoodman

obscene

Feels like one of those air igniting bombs went off over my house but since my house had collapsed into one of those giant sinkholes it didn't much matter.

Last edited:
M

Misty

Guys, you know that feeling when you struggled and been sweating for days making something, debugging it and then it finally works? Good lord that feels awesome.

Its been like 3 days I was revamping my save system. Had all sorts of crap happening. I even went to sleep with thoughts of "giving up" and now it works fine. I feel relieved so much!
Pretty much everything that has occured in my game, and is still occuring to this day.

Last edited:
N

Nexusrex

Hmm, 90% of my game (NinjaCube)..And when i've heard that a youtuber friend will play my game. xD

Jezla

I've increased my understanding of the physics system, which enabled me to simplify collision code in my project and also made a planned feature much easier to implement. It also fixed a couple of nagging bugs! It's a good feeling!

NicoDT

I just feel happy with any little improvement or addition to my game!

If I had to pick one, It would the player/enemy turn sistem. I did it sometime last year, took me a long time (specially because I had enemies activating and deactivating when in or outside the view). But man, it did feel good when I got it working.
And last week I realized it was wrong o_O, so I had to do it again (now with more experience, it didn't take me nearly as much time as last time). Now it's working fine.

The moment I finally understood sandboxing and included files, for some reason it was just impossible to get my head around until one day it wasn't and my life became 1000% easier.

P

PlayLight

Yeah know exactly what you mean.
I was totally and utterly constipated for days and days and then one morning i woke up and BAM!!! blew a hole right through the toilet.
Good Lord That Felt Great!......... ...... ......

.... ....

M

Misty

Constipation can be caused by too many milk products. Go vegan.

Far as gaming goes, sometimes there's an error I call a "drudge". Puts you in a depressive, comatose state, overburdened and trying various combobulations. None of the combobulations work out, and then it hits you - like *boom* - like a thief in the night - you know the secret solution to your woes. And its like Houston we are cleared for Liftoff, the proton torpedoes go in the death star's hole and your ship's away - a wave of relief, fireworks, glitter and ecstasy ensues.

G

Gedor Games

Yeah it is always nice when you solve problems in your game, I have noticed that I usally solve things much faster now when I know more about the GML. I remember how I had this problem with making the ball go faster over a period of time when using motion_add. Since I only used that function to make the player aim the ball at a direction I always had to set the speed back to its original speed to not make it go super fast. Anyway I thought I came up with a good solution when I made an enum and a whole bunch of scripts to make it work, so I feelt really proud of myself until I got back to the code and realized that I didnt need 20 scripts and hundreds of line of code, the solution was just creating some variables and use it with the motion_add code :bash:

M

Misty

Yep.

This morning, I figured out how to have pixel perfect raytracing on my terrain, and there were 3 crucial components I was doing wrong...
The bullets were going thru the other side of terrain, sparks not appearing, incorrect particle distance, etc...
When I finally got it "fixed"...I was hit with waves of relief and euphoria...All the hate and pain I had been having from human interaction in real life, seemed to wash away...My code was here, near, and that was all that mattered...it was a special moment for me...

Been pondering over a problem I've had since using Gm8, specifically, I was working on an RPG with full mod capabilities, but was struggling with the in game scripting system and how to determine how many lines of code to execute each step to avoid lag. Recently, I've been wanting to start up a new RPG project, but with some procedural generation involved and decided to implement a chunking system for loading the map. Again, I ran into the same problem of figuring out how many subchunks to handle per step without lag. The answer finally hit me while I was at work. Instead of trying to figure out how many cycles to run, I should measure the cycles using time, thus was born a system I named "Tasker", which is just a queue of tasks that need to be performed, and it tries to execute as many as it can per step. It works by taking the ideal framerate, and starts measuring at the begin step event. Tasker runs in the end step event and executes tasks until the measured time that started at begin step exceeds the given threshold (eg: 0.5 = half a step). it then waits until the next step to continue. After solving a silly mistake on my part, it worked perfectly. I even implemented some untested code to handle scaling performance in lagging situations so that Tasker doesn't cause any further lag. I still need to run it through some real life testament but I'm excited to have cracked this issue. as a bonus, Tasker forces me to think differently on how to break up certain aspects of my games to run most efficiently using this system. for example, I can't just dump a task like "create this entire map" into it, as the task would most certainly go over the time limit. I have to instead break it down further to a room by room basis, and even further to a tile by tile.

Edit: Gave a test run of the code that scales performance in low fps situations. Didn't really help, so I changed to code to work so it at least performs one task before passing on to the next step.

Last edited:
M

mariospants

Totally know the feeling: I wanted my player to slide on circular surfaces (that is, stop if you are perpendicular to the tangent of the curve at a point of collision, but move off in any other direction while sliding across the curved surface) and I thought that there must be a way of doing this with basically just a one-line formula for all circular surfaces (concave AND convex). After a week of frustrating failures where I was ready to settle on some nasty approximations, it just happened. It all came together and worked. Loved that feeling.