My new project. planning to work on for over a year.

T

teamrocketboyz

Hello guys this is it, "the project" im planning on investing over a year into. i need a guage on what you guys think so far, art is not final (only been working on this about a week on and off).

im hoping that by the end of the year i can have a fully completed project ready for sale (only a bargain priced game)
Windows Screenshot 2017.11.05 - 18.02.38.54.png
Windows Screenshot 2017.11.05 - 18.02.53.14.png
Windows Screenshot 2017.11.05 - 18.03.18.66.png

please feel free to download my DEMO below and let me know what you think.

https://scrapboxgames.itch.io/my-new-platforming-project-demo

the goal of the DEMO is to collect all 4 hearts, when you die you restart the level and so the hearts respawn.

the controls are

(A) + (D) -moves left and right

(SPACE BAR)- makes the player jump

(A) + (D) + (SPACE BAR) does a wall climb move

(S) WHEN IN THE AIR- makes the player do a ground stomp move

(SPACE BAR) when in water makes the character swim upwards

i will let you figure out the rest ;)

one thing i will tell you is that i know the movement is too rapid and i am planning on implementing friction and accelleration in the future.

LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE COLLECTS ALL THE HEARTS.

D

DyingSilence

First things first:
Refine the movement before designing any levels, for your own good!
As for now it feels very stiff.

A minor fix i recommend is that the character keeps facing the direction once it's set. And also that the spring doesn't behave weirdly when being near but not above.

What i liked about the game were the stripes, a shader i suppose.

What i loved was the level's design, which gradually prepares the player for the future challenges by preemptively forcing them to use new mechanics which will be needed.

This may be something, but my question is: what's the gimmick? Why anyone would choose this platformer over any other?

T

teamrocketboyz

Firstly thank you very much for taking the time out to play this.

The thing I'm working on right now is the movement, trying to implement friction and acceleration, the draw issue will be resolved at a later date when I come to animating my player and so far its placeholder art, as for the spring that little thing is just annoying me haha.

I'm new to GM so I don't know how to use shaders, I actually cheated by creating a sprite background and used a fairly fast vertical speed :O.

In terms of gimmick, it will be difficulty as well as story, I can't go into detail but what I can say is that each of these levels "aren't real" and the difficulty starts once they "become real"

Hyomoto

Not to be too harsh or anything but the number of projects that have been started that people 'plan to work on for X amount of time' are common. Frighteningly common. In fact, so much so that only about 1% of the games that have ever been posted to these boards have ever been 'finished'. So, if you are looking for views or people like @ElectricdonkeyYT to give your game a chance, that's not a selling point. But, if you work on it over time, push updates with a little frequency (not necessarily new builds, but even just status updates showing off your progress) then over time people will come to recognize your project as being 'in development' and should you have worked on it, a year from now you'll have met that goal. The same could be said for 'new' projects. Almost every project posted here was new at some point, we don't typically post old projects.

While it isn't vitally important, I'd ask you this: if you don't work on it for a year and abandon it, is that the thread title you want to sink into the depths of the posts of history? If you get rid of those two pieces of information, that it's new and you plan to work on it, the title is: "My project". Which I'll be honest: that's a completely acceptable thread title. Maybe "My platformer project" would give the passerby a bit more information, but now you are actually describing what people can expect to see if they visit your thread. What it says now is mostly noise.