• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GM1.4 simply will not open anymore on windows 10

R

RealityShifter

I've done a complete removal and fresh install. but the installer won't fully install(into the roaming folder) it only makes C:\Users\username\GameMaker-Studio 1.4\ folder and the GameMaker-Studio.exe will not open what so ever. It does this for ALL version.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RealityShifter

Please help this is a huge project and it's not like I can port it over to gm2. Is there a verison of gm1.4 currently working on windows 10 someone can confirm?

rIKmAN

Please help this is a huge project and it's not like I can port it over to gm2. Is there a verison of gm1.4 currently working on windows 10 someone can confirm?
I don't use GMS 1.4 anymore, but I just opened 1.99.525 and it opened normally, as did previous versions on Win10.

I am on the latest version of Wndows 10, so I assume it's something to do with your setup or one of the later versions of 1.4 that I have not tried.

R

RealityShifter

Tracked down 1.99.525 downloaded and installed. It's the same thing. try to run the exe and nothing happens. IF SOMETHING happened mybe i could figure out the issue but uninstalling reinstalling any version what so ever and nothing happens when i try to run any of the .exe for gm1.4

rIKmAN

I've completed fresh install and still nothing happens. it will not run. the installer doesnt seem to be installing anything into the appdata/roaming folder as it should be.
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753708-How-to-perform-a-fresh-install
Rather than making new posts one after the other, just edit the first post with the new information.

It sounds like you have some anti-virus or system protection software that might be stopping GMS installing properly.
If you have any try disabling them during install or adding the relevant folders to the whitelist, and also run the installer as Admin.

N

Nonja3

I have the same issue suddenly. It run a patch download and gave some errors that GM 1.4 couldn't download the modules. Reinstalling didn't help.

GM closes as soon as the main window opens.

R

RealityShifter

All I have is windows defender which I've completely turned off did the clean uninstall/ re-install again and nothing has changed.

We need to get Yoyo games attention on this, I've submitted a ticket I suggest everyone else do the same. I cannot work until this is resolved. Here:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

M

Matt Hawkins

Right clicking on the installer and selecting "run as administrator" or "compatibility mode" may help. Or if its possible, roll back your windows version to windows 8.

rIKmAN

Or if its possible, roll back your windows version to windows 8.
This is terrible advice, (re)installing an OS is the last resort after trying every other available option.
Not to mention Windows 8 is the worst OS since ME/Vista and will have mainstream support end in 2 months.

As I said it's not a Windows 10 or GMS problem - I can post a gif of it working as proof if people don't want to believe me - I'm running Windows 10 and 1.99.525 works perfectly.
It's something specific to OPs system - whether that be AV, system protection software, user permissions, 3rd party software conflict, missing frameworks(s), Windows 10 not being fully up to date or something else.

OP just needs to troubleshoot his system a little to narrow down what the issue might be.

M

Matt Hawkins

This is terrible advice, (re)installing an OS is the last resort after trying every other available option.
Not to mention Windows 8 is the worst OS since ME/Vista and will have mainstream support end in 2 months.

As I said it's not a Windows 10 or GMS problem - I can post a gif of it working as proof if people don't want to believe me - I'm running Windows 10 and 1.99.525 works perfectly.
It's something specific to OPs system - whether that be AV, system protection software, user permissions, 3rd party software conflict, missing frameworks(s), Windows 10 not being fully up to date or something else.

OP just needs to troubleshoot his system a little to narrow down what the issue might be.
I said roll back to windows 8, not re-install the operating system. There is a big difference.

rIKmAN

I said roll back to windows 8, not re-install the operating system. There is a big difference.
You are assuming that first he previously had Windows 8, then that he did an upgrade and not a fresh install of 10, then that if he did have 8 and upgraded that it has been less than 30 days since he did it and the rollback will even be available. (10 days in 1607 and later)

Your first bit of advice re: Run as Admin was good, but whichever way you spin it it's still terrible advice to recommend changing OS as a first option because a program which is known to work (ie. it works for me) is having problems on a particular system. This is for any software, not just GMS.

@RealityShifter is your Windows 10 up to date?
Click the start button and type 'winver' (without the quotes) and hit enter, it will bring up a window with your current version and build number.

I've just retried 1.99.525 to rule out a YYG server issue and it opened fine, I compiled an empty room project using the Windows export and it also compiled and ran fine.

If it was a widespread blanket problem with GMS and Windows 10 I wouldn't be able to run it either.

M

Matt Hawkins

You are assuming that first he previously had Windows 8, then that he did an upgrade and not a fresh install of 10, then that if he did have 8 and upgraded that it has been less than 30 days since he did it and the rollback will even be available. (10 days in 1607 and later)

Your first bit of advice re: Run as Admin was good, but whichever way you spin it it's still terrible advice to recommend changing OS as a first option because a program which is known to work (ie. it works for me) is having problems on a particular system. This is for any software, not just GMS.

@RealityShifter is your Windows 10 up to date?
Click the start button and type 'winver' (without the quotes) and hit enter, it will bring up a window with your current version and build number.

I've just retried 1.99.525 to rule out a YYG server issue and it opened fine, I compiled an empty room project using the Windows export and it also compiled and ran fine.

If it was a widespread blanket problem with GMS and Windows 10 I wouldn't be able to run it either.
I didn't assume anything, I said if possible roll back to windows 8. Also saying windows 8 is the worst operating system since since ME/Vista is just your opinion. I've been running windows 8 for about two years and I've had zero problems with it. Windows 10 on the other hand has come under scrutiny for privacy concerns and many people believe that windows 10 is the worst OS ever made.

rIKmAN

and many people believe that windows 10 is the worst OS ever made.
I'm not gonna argue with you dude as the thread is going a bit off topic now, but "those people" obviously never used Windows ME.
Yeah it is my opinion, but it's also shared pretty much universally - Google it.

The point still stands though - suggesting changing the OS as the first thing to do to try and remedy a problem with a program (that I have confirmed works for me with the same OS) is terrible advice.

That's not me having as go at you, that's just a fact.
Let's see what OP says with regards to troubleshooting when he gets back in the thread.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Latest Stable of Windows 10 and GMS 1.4 run fine for me. Opened 1.4.1772 just fine.
I'm running the stand-alone, I have seen some people having issues with Steam versions popping up lately.

R

RealityShifter

@rIKmAN My Windows 10 failed to fully update a few months ago but im p sure gm1.4 was working after the failed update. Updating is not an option sadly Microsoft really screwed up and my OS cannot update anymore. But there has to be something else I can do. gm2 works great. literally everything else has no issues. I wish yoyo support would get back to me. It's specifically just this one executable (again no antivirus is running what so ever) for some reason comparability is not an option for the exe. The installer simply isnt extracting the files, I can seem them in appdata/local but it needs a password to extract manually or I would have installed manually!

M

MishMash

I can confirm that GM is working for me with Windows 10. This may sound stupid, but after working in student IT support as a part time job, stuff like this is almost always the simple stuff, so just to double check:

1) Are you definitely running the installer as administrator and with antivirus disabled at the same time? Is it the installer that stops too early, or does it say it installed fine? Also, when you run the exe, does it appear as running in task manager, or does nothing open at all?
2) Is the time and date on your machine correct? (You would be amazed how many things this can subtly muck-up)
3) Is this just GM that is being affected, or any program you try to install? (There was a windows 10 bug that I've seen loads where users would be on their desktop, but wouldn't actually be logged into one of the machine's accounts, but instead in "Default". This basically broke anything that required a user directory to be used)
4) Is the installer completing and closing, or does it just hang?
5) Have you done a full restart recently? This may seem like a stupid question again, but so many people never actually restart their computer. I had a laptop with all kinds of problems that hadn't been restarted in 7 months. Once we restarted it, all of the problems went away.

6) You mention your windows 10 being broken and that you cannot update. Fundamentally, windows 10 is the first operating system by microsoft to enforce updates eventually no matter what. Having it broken is alarm bells enough, i'd be surprised if it was just GM that was having issues. In the mean time, you can try any of these things to fix it:
  • [Command prompt] sfc /scannow - detects and repairs damaged system files

• [Command prompt] chkdsk - Checks the hard disk for any bad sectors and attempts to resolve the issue by finding affected files and potentially moving them around. Also a good means of checking if your HDD is working. Who knows, the installer might be failing because its trying to deal with a specific location in the HDD that has gone corrupt, and the software doesn't know what to do.

• Windows update removal -- It's quite easy to remove a bad/pending update, just open Command prompt and type the following:
    dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
    ^ This will allow windows to remove any updates that have not been applied, or partially applied, but are queued. Then at a later point, it will update again, or you can choose to go into settings and "Check for udpates".

• [Windows recovery] Settings -> Updates and security -> Recovery -- Restart into recovery mode, and you can have the find the option of performing a System "Refresh". This basically re-installs the operating system, but maintains all of your files and user settings (in most cases). The refresh is designed to resolve OS issues without having to wipe your hdd, and is often quite a quick process.
7) When you uninstalled, did you do a proper uninstall through windows, or did you just delete the folder? You may also want to go through the registry (windows key + R "regedit") and delete entries related to "GameMaker" "GameMaker Studio" "5tudio" "5pice IDE". Most of these just store things like your license keys, but they may have certain flags blocking installation/launch as a result of mis-configuration.

8) No idea if you are working on a commercial project, but I tend to find YYG replies quite a bit faster to queries when you put Commercial in the tag line :p! (Every support request i put in with that got a reply within a working day, one of them had a bug fixed ready for a version that went out a few days later, which was pretty impressive :D! It was a major networking bug too :p)

I know the operating system fixes aren't what you want to be meddling with, but on the one hand, you are moaning about your OS being "screwed up", whislt then immediately disconnecting the issue from being a problem with the OS, and instead label it as a problem with GM? As a general comment, just because something did not break immediately as a result of something else breaking, it does not mean that the previous issue has not subsequently caused issues later on. I also apologise if aspects of this post seem condescending, but its important to build a clear picture of the issue and take into account everything that is happening with your PC.

R

RealityShifter

Thanks everyone for the responses.
@MishMash
I am def running without any anti virus or firewall what so ever.
Time and date is correct and set automatically.
Only GM1.4 is being effected. Everything else works smoothly no other issues.
The installer ses it installs then has the option of opening gm1.4 now which I choose and nothing happens then I go to the .exe and click and nothing happens. There is no task in the task manager. Literally nothing happens.
I've restarted my computer many times.

Windows 10 is broken, updates will not install it tries and fails every day.
sfc /scannow gives "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." error
I've already chkdsk will no issues found.
dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions I've run from the start up command line and get errpr 1639 the command=line is missing a required servicing command.

Windows recovery is an option but it's a last resort this HDD is running slow lately and I imagine I'd have to re-install all my software which will takes a very long time.

When I uninstalled gm1.4 I did the full fresh uninstall deleting registry and everything. via:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753708-How-to-perform-a-fresh-install

Thanks for taking the time to be so thurough, but yeah I've been through most of this, and the other stuff did not work. I guess I'll re-install windows and hope my HDD doesn't crap out.

R

RealityShifter

Welp my computer is toast. 2 terabytes of stuff up in smoke. I've literally been down every option on the internet to recover this installation of windows and nothing has worked. HD must be currupted. Before last night my computer was stuck in a bootloop but would eventually start after about 15min of trying. Now it simply blue screens instead of starting up. Thanks for your help Now I need to figure out what my windows 10 product key was and find an installation of windows somewhere and I guess buy a new hd.

If you have a suggestion rest assured ive already tried it.

Llama_Code

Welp my computer is toast. 2 terabytes of stuff up in smoke. I've literally been down every option on the internet to recover this installation of windows and nothing has worked. HD must be currupted. Before last night my computer was stuck in a bootloop but would eventually start after about 15min of trying. Now it simply blue screens instead of starting up. Thanks for your help Now I need to figure out what my windows 10 product key was and find an installation of windows somewhere and I guess buy a new hd.

If you have a suggestion rest assured ive already tried it.
If you had your copy of Windows registered to your Microsoft account then you don't need a Windows product key, just install Windows, skip entering a key, and when you log in to your Microsoft account Windows will activate itself. Super simple. If your PC is store bought the OEM license is tied to the motherboard, so as long you don't switch that you can also still activated your OEM copy of Windows as well. If you have access to a PC somewhere just download the Windows media creation tool.

Sounds like your problem all along was just the HDD. I had a very similar experience on Windows 7 with a mechanical HDD.

If you can't spring for an SSD in the capacity you need, you can get a hybrid for slightly more than a standard HDD, and they are quite nice for the things you use most.

Redundancy is key to data protection. I have my most valuable data backed up on different cloud services and all my data (that includes stuff that would suck to lose but isn't the end of the world) on an external HDD.

Also, don't go do something silly like buying a Windows key off eBay or the likes on the cheap, these are typically volume licenses that will work initially but will eventually get shut down by Microsoft for being distributed illegaly.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

You didn't think to mention that your PC was stuck in a boot loop but booted after 15mins? If you had been more up front about the issues you had with your machine rather than trying blame GMS as the only problem you would have got better advice - ie. Backup your stuff, now!

Windows 10 won't need a licence, as long as it was legit and was activated then just reinstall Windows 10 on the same hardware (new HD obviously) and it will automatically activate digitally over the Internet.

Also don't wipe that dodgy hard drive, once you have reinstalled on a new one there are things your can try to recover some/most of the data, so all might not be lost.

Good luck!

R

RealityShifter

@Llama_Code Good to know I don't need a key. The HDD in question IS a hybrid : / Everything important is on git and I backed up my documents/photos last night. But still many GB of video footage and about 20 programs need to be installed. bah. It'll take a while to get my work setup again. dreamweaver sites, game maker, android sdk, steam sdk, adobe suite, etc etc etc. I hope I didn't lose anything I might need one day.

@rIKmAN Thanks for your help. I've already tried literally everything there is to try for the boot issue. I wanted to avoid tampering with it further thus the inevitable happen. I thought because literally the only software not working was 1.4 that there was a fix for that.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also, you might wanna make sure to copy your AppData folder, that's where most of your settings and game savefiles and stuff are stored. Saves a lot of time setting up your new PC.

rIKmAN

@rIKmAN Thanks for your help. I've already tried literally everything there is to try for the boot issue. I wanted to avoid tampering with it further thus the inevitable happen. I thought because literally the only software not working was 1.4 that there was a fix for that.
But GMS wasn't the only thing not working - your Windows installation was taking 15mins to boot from a boot loop and updates were failing which should have been massive signs to you that GMS wasn't the problem.

If you'd have mentioned these things earlier you might have been able to save some more stuff before the constant blue screen as you'd have gotten vastly different advice, but what's done is done now.

There are some things you could try to restore the OS and fix the blue screen without losing your data / programs etc but honestly at this point I would just leave it alone in case the HD dies completely. Install on a new drive and then you can slave it to the new machine and hopefully save a lot of the stuff you still have on there.

Glad you have been using git for your code and have managed to save some other stuff before it happened, but don't get down about it it's more than likely you can salvage a lot more from the bad drive once you have the OS installed on a new drive again.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
LOL! For the longest time reading this topic I thought you were talking about the first GM version from 2003.... dumb me.
(EDIT: Only noticed now it was in the GMS subforum)

R

RealityShifter

But GMS wasn't the only thing not working - your Windows installation was taking 15mins to boot from a boot loop and updates were failing which should have been massive signs to you that GMS wasn't the problem.

If you'd have mentioned these things earlier you might have been able to save some more stuff before the constant blue screen as you'd have gotten vastly different advice, but what's done is done now.

There are some things you could try to restore the OS and fix the blue screen without losing your data / programs etc but honestly at this point I would just leave it alone in case the HD dies completely. Install on a new drive and then you can slave it to the new machine and hopefully save a lot of the stuff you still have on there.

Glad you have been using git for your code and have managed to save some other stuff before it happened, but don't get down about it it's more than likely you can salvage a lot more from the bad drive once you have the OS installed on a new drive again.
I had tried everything to fix that blue screen and fix the bootloop. gm1.4 had been working during the bootloop issue (which I game up months ago trying to fix until recently) This isn't the first time I've had to install windows to a new drive and slave the previous. That seems to be the way of things lol but this time, I don't have any spare drives so I saved all I felt I needed to a dif slave(which already used to backup) and formatted this one. I know it's risky to use the same drive but it's what I gotta do on a budget. I'll move to a new drive when it's convenient.

Thanks again. Everyone! GM 1.4 seems to be working on this install. Sad it took a drive format for this to happen, oh well. SSD hybrid's / Windows 10 not as reliable as expected. bah.

rIKmAN

I had tried everything to fix that blue screen and fix the bootloop. gm1.4 had been working during the bootloop issue (which I game up months ago trying to fix until recently) This isn't the first time I've had to install windows to a new drive and slave the previous. That seems to be the way of things lol but this time, I don't have any spare drives so I saved all I felt I needed to a dif slave(which already used to backup) and formatted this one. I know it's risky to use the same drive but it's what I gotta do on a budget. I'll move to a new drive when it's convenient.

Thanks again. Everyone! GM 1.4 seems to be working on this install. Sad it took a drive format for this to happen, oh well. SSD hybrid's / Windows 10 not as reliable as expected. bah.
I would have run a manufacturer diagnostics on that drive before re-installing on it, but you can still do it now although if any bad blocks / sectors are found it might need another reinstall afterwards if it has to mark used sectors as bad.

Check the brand of the drive (Seagate / Maxtor etc) and download the correct tool and give it a run through, better safe than being in this same position again down the road when the hard drive gets full enough that it's trying to use any bad areas on the hard drive and the same thing possibly happens.

Glad you got it sorted.