• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Right, teams. If some of you people feel like Jamming together with other people (no more than 3 total people in the team, though; no more Jobo's Jam Juggernauts *whistling*), you can send me a PM or ask around people who are already on the "looking for team" list. ^^

HayManMarc

Right, teams. If some of you people feel like Jamming together with other people (no more than 3 total people in the team, though; no more Jobo's Jam Juggernauts *whistling*), you can send me a PM or ask around people who are already on the "looking for team" list.
^^
So... why can't teams be bigger than 3?

M

MikeDark_x

I guess it's because they would have too much advantage...

Well, changing the theme what is everyone doing while waiting for the Jam?

In my case, I'm doing random doodles of tilesets in hope I actually make something that can be used for the Jam
Castle.png

Z

zircher

// thinking about BALLET HELL
// needs more zombie nutcrackers

... what is everyone doing while waiting for the Jam?
Reading GameMaker books, of course.

HTML5 Game Development with GameMaker by Jason Lee Elliott ($10, https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/html5-game-development-gamemaker)
GameMaker Language: An InDepth Guide by Benjamin Anderson ($10, http://www.heartbeast.co/book)
GameMaker Cookbook by Brandon Gardiner ($10, https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/gamemaker-cookbook)

They're PDFs, but they also beat the snot out of Amazon's Kindle prices. Oh, if you want a soft cover of HeartBeast's book, you can buy if off of Lulu. For a limited time, the code LULU30 will get you 30% off. Of course, getting a printed book in time for the GameJam will be problematic. :)
--
TAZ

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GhostlyFeline

what is everyone doing while waiting for the Jam?
Mainly just figuring out my schedule. I don't have all weekend to do the jam, so I have to make sure that I'm extra prepared. Probably gonna have to stay up pretty late on days 1 and 2.

Also been working on my main project, but that's nothing unusual.

Micah_DS

...what is everyone doing while waiting for the Jam?
I'm producing music to keep my skills from getting too rusty, plus working my day job to pay the bills, and working on an indie game. I like your tileset "doodles", btw.

To prepare for the jam, I'm probably going to try to make some music and just hope it fits well enough with the theme. If not though, I can always save it for another jam.

A

Aura

Because they'd have way too much advantage over people who prefer to work alone.

Well, changing the theme what is everyone doing while waiting for the Jam?
I'm basically trying to help people in the Programming forum. But that is something I always do, so that doesn't count... *whistling*

That aside, I'm busy with learning Japanese. I recently gave the JLPT N2 test this month and I'm hoping for N1 next year. Also, I'm busy learning C# as well. (I'm a C# fangirl but I don't contain nuts...)

D

DocNogloff

Also, I'm busy learning C# as well. (I'm a C# fangirl but I don't contain nuts...)
I was trying to learn a little bit of C# through Youtube lately as well, and I gotta, say, there's a lot of it that's just like GML, switch statements and for loops for instance. I guess a lot of other languages have similar syntax, but since GML is basically my first language, it feels like home.

N

nvrogers

Make a game following the rules, during the 72 hour window, and post it in the topic. Just do it!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The jam is still so far away. Why can't it be Friday yet?
So that I have time to finish my document format and still have some to spare to write detailed game topic/voting topic rules in advance, and perhaps make a .NET based Jam randomiser/player? I'll sure be busy in the following days...

(for those who don't know - Jam randomiser is a tool that randomises the order of entries in the Jam ZIP folder, so that people playing only a few entries won't harm entries beginning with later letters; I consider making a simple "player" of sorts, so that people can play from the program itself, see if there are any readme/credits file to read etc., arrange the entries by position, that sort of stuff; assuming that I'll manage to get it done in time, that is)

But at least here's another letter reveal! Now revel in it!

_ _ A _ _ _ T _ _ _

G

GhostlyFeline

I really will revel in the reveal.
GLADIATORS
TRANSITION
EVACUATION
ADAPTATIVE
ORANGUTANS

Gladiators would be a cool theme.

Z

zircher

S T A R _ S Y S T E M S _ G R O W (or F A I L )
C H A R A C T E R S
E V O L V E

Joh

I'M BACK!
ok... probably no one really knows me. But i've been missing the Jam. Hopefully, I can step up in this new era!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
ok... probably no one really knows me.
Are you for real? 3rd place in the JAPANESE Jam? One of the few Jammers I couldn't summon with @-user on Hall of Fame because they weren't around when I was making the list? ^^'
(I kinda remember that David vs Goliath entry, too, or that Poke-dinosaur thing with non-obvious team selection...)

People, please, give yourself some credit sometime. ^^'

Mercerenies

Is the countdown clock in the OP accurate? According to the clock, the Jam is starting on Friday at 6am in my timezone, when I'm accustomed to a 6pm start time.

D

DocNogloff

Wait, am I missing something or does this jam not have a handicap? Doesn't say anything in the rules and guidelines.

If that's the case, then why?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Post-apocalyptic isn't really that much of a hype object in the sense it has been for the last few Jams. It's just that stuff happened, new forum appeared, there hasn't been a Jam for half a year, old GMC was closed, there are lots of weird changes and mutations in this Jam... the post-apocalyptic mood is kinda natural here. I can't promise that subsequent Jams will or won't have some sort of motif related to them, but there won't be anything of "one of winners picks a random object" sort.

By the way, you people might be interested in yet another letter...
_ _ _ R _ _ _ _ _ _ _ S _ _ _ A _

(soon, the themes will be voted over!)

C

CoderJoe

So just to be clear, can I use some sprites I've already made? Looking forward to this jam.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

So just to be clear, can I use some sprites I've already made? Looking forward to this jam.
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
Cheers! $:^ J

S

Sirham

I'll make a C++ compiler out of gml and have the user compile incredibly messy code found as comments in the source of the compiler itself. Then you get to play a nifty game of pong. Because that's fun, right?

Z

zircher

Sounds too much like work, I already have millions of lines of other's people's code that I have to slog through. :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I'll make a C++ compiler out of gml and have the user compile incredibly messy code found as comments in the source of the compiler itself. Then you get to play a nifty game of pong. Because that's fun, right?
Only if you play a pong with Snake. On a plane. From 1945.

Also, you don't even know the theme yet... ^^'

D

DocNogloff

If I remember correctly, last time each person would vote for 2 themes out of 3 and then the most liked one would win (that jam ended up with both Day & night and Sacrifice).
But this time each participant would only vote for one theme out of three, is that right?

A

Aura

If I remember correctly, last time each person would vote for 2 themes out of 3 and then the most liked one would win (that jam ended up with both Day & night and Sacrifice).
But this time each participant would only vote for one theme out of three, is that right?
As far as I remember, you had to vote for all of the three themes in an order and some formula (perhaps similar to the Jam voting formula) was to be used to determine the theme. But since both Day & Night and Sacrifice got a nearly equal number of high votes, we ended up with both of them as the themes. I might be wrong though. x3

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
In case you haven't noticed, there have been another letter reveal.
_ E _ L _ _

It seems last reveal wasn't particularly well-received... I haven't seen any guess here. Hopefully, this one will give more ideas. ^^'

M

Misu

_ E _ L _ _

REALLY
KELLOG
LESLIE (?)
TELLER
WESLEY (?)
YELLOW

I cant think of any... I might as well try a word searcher for this one :/

Status
Not open for further replies.