• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Cracked monitor. Unsafe?

F

Freedom2Fight

I was moving equipment from one place to another when my I accidentally dropped my PC monitor.

I checked it for any visible damage and I was relieved to have found none.

Then I fired it up and... the corner of the screen has a blot and a few vertical lines extending to the top of the screen.

I turned it off.

Now. I’ve read some articles a long time ago about the potential dangers of a cracked monitor. Some say its ok, its fine. Others say that I’d have to call hazmat teams like the damn apocalypse started.

The monitor, its operable. The damage I can live with ... but is it safe to do so?

I don’t know if it makes any difference but its an HP Pavilion LED backlit monitor.

Should I dispose of it?

Mercerenies

If it's a flatscreen, I would be seriously surprised if there's any risk to you, as those things are really just tiny lights. If for some reason you were carrying around one of those old, bulky CRT screens, then depending on the damage I would consider not using the device anymore.

You'll be fine. It's a flat screen. No dangers. There was a bit of a danger, albeit pretty small, with the older CRT monitors because they had a cathode tube which contained a vacuum. If these cracked just the right way, an IMPLOSION could occur (nature hates a vacuum!), sucking glass inward with some decent force, and then bouncing said glass back out again, creating some nice, glass projectiles.

G

Guest User

If these cracked just the right way, an IMPLOSION could occur (nature hates a vacuum!), sucking glass inward with some decent force, and then bouncing said glass back out again, creating some nice, glass projectiles.
oh...really? i guess that explains why computer monitors always explode in the movies. o_O

F

Freedom2Fight

I'm concerned about the substances I've read about in the articles. Harmful, toxic, and carcinogenic. The electric shocks and exploding screens, sure are concerning, but , I don't know, I'm more fearful of the liquid crystal thing they talk about.

Mercerenies

I'm concerned about the substances I've read about in the articles. Harmful, toxic, and carcinogenic. The electric shocks and exploding screens, sure are concerning, but , I don't know, I'm more fearful of the liquid crystal thing they talk about.
Then don't eat or drink your monitor. I mean, that's a rule that should probably hold whether or not your monitor is broken.

F

Freedom2Fight

Then don't eat or drink your monitor. I mean, that's a rule that should probably hold whether or not your monitor is broken.
This make me feel a lot bette- worse actually.

I've still got the box for this item. Purchased it 2013. That is a long time ago. Huh. Wow.

I've read the documentation and I can't find anything to allay my fears. Guess I'll die.

Lord Undead

This make me feel a lot bette- worse actually.

I've still got the box for this item. Purchased it 2013. That is a long time ago. Huh. Wow.

I've read the documentation and I can't find anything to allay my fears. Guess I'll die.
Just upgrade it and forget your fears, and seriously eating while in front of the monitor... poor keyboard and mouse...

I mean dangerous stuff is should be avoided but we sometimes are way too scared of dangerous things, to begin with those substances shouldn't be too dangerous if you haven't been exposed to them for many days (say a few weeks) otherwise having such stuff (tvs and so) at home would be too dangerous