• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Delete Event From Inside Code Editor

G

Guest User

question, is there a way to delete the event you currently have open from the object somehow?

like you can create new events by Right Click > Add/Open Event > [event] but sometimes i'm stupid and add the wrong event, figure out another way to do it that doesn't involve it, or rewrite my object code so i have "extra events" that are tedious to delete individually in the workspace widget for various reasons (IMO!)

so, is there any way to do it from the fullscreen code editor? i was hoping there'd be something like Right Click > Delete Event but there isn't, so maybe a keybinding or something?

G

Guest User

i don't know if we are allowed to bump our own threads buuuuut i have a question pertaining to this.

if this is NOT a feature, and since no one has answered and i still haven't seen anything in my daily usage maybe its not, would it be within reason to suggest that this be made one?

just like... 'Right Click > Delete Event' in the drop down underneath 'Add/Open Event'.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No, there's nothing there for that. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about adding something on the right click that will delete your file where you can't "undo"...

G

Guest User

hmm good point, i was thinking that once you hit Delete Event it would prompt like "Do you really want to delete this event? [Y] [N]" like in other stuff, though i can see how that might not be enough of a safety for some situations.

though perhaps a two-step keybinding would work these seem to be reserved for more general IDE functions, and it'd probably stick out functionality-wise. so i'm not sure if there's really a good way to approach it. eh well.

No, there's nothing there for that. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about adding something on the right click that will delete your file where you can't "undo"...
What about set a limitation ( a new option) when user want to delete event in the full screen code editor.
eg : When user want to delete the code event, the code page should be have nothing code in it, or should be have the command code "# this event can be delete" at the first line in it. If not, it wouldn't the delete event and show message "You cant delete it".
Then, the user would not easy to delete the event by mistake when they want to add event.

It's not convenient for user to delete event in the full screen code editor, now. User have to switch to Workspace, drag the object into Workspace, select and click "Delete Event" to delete the event, and then go back to the full screen code page.

Last edited:
G

Guest User

i'd rather it be blank than have to write something out, kind of defeats the purpose if i have to put work into deleting my events!! :p and tbh at that point perhaps itd be better to have it a toggle in the preferences. like "enable deletion of events from right-click" or whatever. not sure if they can do either of those things though.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The issue is that we always add the "don't show this again" option, as many folk have having to select then deal with a dialog. If they DO they tick this, then they are back in the situation where they could accidentally delete the event without warning. Yes, they did technically "choose" that, but if they click by mistake and not realise, we get bugs reports of missing code and then have to deal will hunting down why. These things take time and effort and the loss of code is dangerous.

Longer term, we want a "recycle bin" for scripts, so you CAN undo them, but that is some time off.... once that appears, it's not so much of an issue.