• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mognor Wars: Redemption (Old thread)

Y

Yvalson

In the an alternate universe exists Undergreen. A world that has been at peace for a long time.
But 10 years ago a creature by the name Krogath decided to invade the world with is mognorians and capture it. Coming from a different universe using a machine called the time spiral.

10 years later and most of the inhabitants of this world have been either captured or fled to the far regions.

In this story you follow a young men by the name of Repoth Federith.
You are done with the Suppression and decide to go on a journey. You live in Ovelot a relatively small country. You want to defeat all the mognorians and free your country.

But you are not doing this alone.
Your friends Ekirth and Samonith will help you trying to find the one weapon that has the power to defeat Krogath and be free again.

This was the plot of the story

Some features:
Full inventory system
Puzzles and combat
Pretty big world but not entirely open
(Which means that you can do things freely but some parts of the game will not be accessable if you don't complete said events to access it)
Long story and a target of at least 15 hours playtime (if you are willing to do every single thing in the game that is planned to be there)
Much lore that tells about the past and more

Currently in very early alpha with only 1 character fully animated with movement.
This game will be rpg style much like the zelda games on the DS.
However this game will be released on Android and might even come to iOS at some point in time or in later development

This game is part of a school project and thus shall be completed with a release date around Christmas time.

You can already support me by going to my channel and following the Instagram account for updates

Currently there is not much to be seen but if everything goes according to plan then at the end of July the first parts of the world should be complete I'll leave a simple overworld drawing for people who are interested

Stay tuned for more people this game is now in active development

Official game trailer:

YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCZ3v7spq4OskGne12pNcw

Instagram : @Mognor_Wars_Redemption

Overworld : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6d-A-ZjyLxnbzJ0TG9aTTBNSTg/view?usp=drivesdk

alpha game demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6d-A-ZjyLxndllrOEI5bjJsM0U

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It'd definitely be cool to see some screenshots once you get the engine going, so you can see whether the game lives up to its lofty goals.

Also, you sure love the "th" syllable since it's in more or less every name mentioned in that blurb :p

Y

Yvalson

It'd definitely be cool to see some screenshots once you get the engine going, so you can see whether the game lives up to its lofty goals.

Also, you sure love the "th" syllable since it's in more or less every name mentioned in that blurb :p
Well I'd everything goes according to plan I should have the first town ready in less than a week if there is interest I can also post some data documents those are a lot more independent but are in my native language so I'd have to translate them ( which is the reason I haven't uploaded them yet)

I have 2 video's posted on the Instagram account but they are very very basic and are pre-alpha

Yeahh the "th" is there on purpose but the lore of the game will explain that.
I have many things already written down so if there are any questions regarding the story or other things I'd probably be able to answer them already

A big emphasis is put on the lore aspect of the game and there are lots of things to do that just involve figuring things out (not even side-quests just walking around and reading stuff) to add to the depth of the story.

Y

Yvalson

I've uploaded a video containing the first progress of the game
make sure to watch it

Y

Yvalson

So I've been working hard on the game and just wanted to update you guys here.
the original thread is here:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/mognor-wars-redemption.30538/#post-190035
I'd recommend reading it as it contains alot of my plans.

so just a quick update

I'll most likely also release this game on windows as well if everything goes according to plan.

i've much of the story lined out right now but won't post it because spoilers.

I've changed the goal of this game a bit. since this game is the supposed to be the first of a series of games.
this game will focus on lore and adventure and puzzles for the most part. this means the combat system will be a less complicated (on the programming part as well as the gameplay part) puzzles and a openworld feeling will be more of a focus

i'm currently actively making sprites and have the map zoned out (picture below) I also have a map so you can kinda see how the zones work (if not ill be updating very soon with a complete detailed explaination of how im doing things)

5. this is actually probably the biggest part, I now have 1 screenshot of the first town (yes the town is small but it's a start)
image will be below.
i'm still trying to make it more dense so if there are suggestions please leave them down.

6. I have added the leveling system to the game. it's a pretty simple one but i've made it in a way I can litterally change the entire gameplay with it which is kinda handy

well I guess that's for now then I hope people are interested because I'd love to tell more.

the release date is still set somewhere in december and if nothing goes wrong then that should be archievable.

peace out guys

ps: this the map link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6d-A-ZjyLxnbzJ0TG9aTTBNSTg/view?usp=drivesdk

Attachments

Y

Yvalson

Quick further update:

The zone map is just a layout

If everything goes according to plan the player will be able to roam around the world freely, you'll just get your butt kicked by the super high level enemies( this more reason to at least kinda follow the main story, however not necessary)

I'm really trying to capture an open world feeling and get it to the mobile platform as it is something the mobile platform could use big time

If anyone has suggestions please leave them below would love to hear more about it.
However dont go to hard on me I'm only 16 years old and only have 4 years of true experience (because when I was 10 I'd just copy and paste and call it a game)

Mechanics post will probably come up tomorrow or otherwise the day after tomorrow

Peace out

Y

Yvalson

Hey, guys I'm back again (I try to post on this thread at least once every 2/3 days) so I'd like to share roadmap for this game and what will be done when.

So ATM there are a few things working. you've probably seen them in the video's or in my other posts already but I'd like to highlight them. First are some fixes:

Fixed:
There was a problem with the movement where the player could move in 8 directions. This is now fixed using a checking method that unables input from the movement keys when one is pressed. This is a temporary fix and I'm currently looking for a more efficient way.

Now I know it doesn't look like much is done but that's just because I'm still trying to fine tune many things but anyway here are 4 things that do work 100%

Working:
Player 4 directional movement(with temporary fix)

Ekirth and Samonith path following and animation matching.

The leveling and Do system

Economy system is setup and can be used

And then the in the works part. This one is probably the biggest since I'm not 100% happy with a lot of things so I split it in 2 parts

Not good working:

Collision
The collision detection on some objects which results in the player getting stuck. I'm looking into grid movement to fix this problem but I don't have a fix for this atm

Spell casting
So currently this is mapped to the M button press (for easy access) however if I stop pressing the key the animation will stop however all the other actions continue. This is also seen in the YouTube video. I'm trying to address this issue but I don't have a solution yet.

Attacking
This is basically the same problem as the spell casting. So the animation will not finish if I not press the button long enough for the animation to finish. But every other actions still process's. This is not a priority problem ATM as every other thing in the code does work it just doesn't look right.

Depth
So the player has the ability to walk behind or underneath surtain objects and because of that needs depth. I have fixed a part of the issue by using depth = -y just like in isometric games. However since this is a rpg whenever i walk far enough the player will pop right out and that's not what supposed to happen. No fix for this atm as it isn't really a problem gameplay wise but it will be addressed someday.

Not working at all:

Mognorian AI
This is currently not working at all. I'm trying grid based path following at the moment but it just keeps pooping out errors (even when copying the exact gamemaker Manuel code)

Well next up in the development cycle are the following things:

Inventory system
Spell system
Event system
Zone system

Also if there are 10 people interested before the 20th of August I'll release a demo with some simple gameplay to show off what's done already (that demo will not be anything used in the official game)

The next post will be some files that contain information about the systems in this game.

Well peace out

Y

Yvalson

Hey guys I'm back
and I have every exciting news (well at least for me)
I currently have a Alpha Demo build for people to play it's not much but you can run around and test the game
many things don't work 100% as will be noticeable in the demo but I thought it would be cool for people to play at least something
this game is for your phone there are a few instructions
you need enable Unknown rescources in your settings (tons of video's about this online) to install the game
after that just play
would appriciate some feedback
currently most collisions disable player movement. this means you can get stuck if you try so I'd suggest not trying to get stuck
and well good luck playing
however if you are not interested in playing you can also watch my new video that shows everything you need to know to stay up to date.

Link to Apk download file (UPDATED):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6d-A-ZjyLxndllrOEI5bjJsM0U

link to youtube video:

Y

Yvalson

Since I haven't uploaded everything in over a week I thought I give a quick new update

first of all somewhere in the coming week there should be a second alpha demo. that one will be the last one for at least 1 month as in that month i'll be making the entire map and complete writing the story.
I also almost complete reworked the code to be more efficient

so i'll go over the same things as last time and see how far I've come

Working:
Player 4 directional movement (permanently fixed)

Ekirth and Samonith path following and animation matching.

The leveling and Xp system now being used

Economy system is setup and is being used

the game now only renders view to improve performance.

player collision system will no longer get you stuck unless you either try real hard or if it's intended.

spell casting / attacking now works and animations wont be cut of when releasing key

the game can now be played on android

inventory system is now working

the mognorian AI now works for it's current state

not good working:

battle system: it's now in the game but currently Mognorians can spawn in places where they don't have access to the player but other than that it's fundamently working

Added to game:

Inventory system (fully working)

spell system (currently being worked on neither not working or working)

event system is added to the game but not used.

mobile support.

framerate counter

2 extra zones (destoyed part of the town and the maze forest)

Changed:

the Hp bar got an overhaul which makes it look better

next up in development cycle:

dialogue system
save system

well I think that's I might have forgotten something but if I forgot it, it's probably not that important.
well anyway the offer still stands that if I get 10 people following this thread before 20th of august i'll release a demo version of the game using a demo story
so for anyone following this thread I'd appriciate sharing to get more attention I'm already contacting youtubers
well that's it for now

peace out

ps. if anyone has a solution for my problem
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/enemies-spawn-at-the-wrong-place.31966/#post-198011
could use the help

Attachments

Y

Yvalson

Hey I'm back and just uploaded a new video for the battling system

Enjoy and peace out

Y

Yvalson

I just dropped the trailer bomb with an official game trailer.
go check it out ;)

Y

Yvalson

I'd like people to let me know what they think about what I have so far. I need some constructive feedback

mar_cuz

I tried the apk you have a couple of posts up. Here is some constructive feedback:

The game is far from ready for a trailer. That should come when close to release.
Movement & collisions need work.
The attack animation didn't work for me.
There needs to be some visual feedback when player takes damage and when enemies take damage like a knock back effect. Player health depletes too quickly.

There's not much else going on so it seems it's very early development and as I said earlier far from trailer ready.

Great start though more time and work on it will improve it.

Y

Yvalson

I tried the apk you have a couple of posts up. Here is some constructive feedback:

The game is far from ready for a trailer. That should come when close to release.
Movement & collisions need work.
The attack animation didn't work for me.
There needs to be some visual feedback when player takes damage and when enemies take damage like a knock back effect. Player health depletes too quickly.

There's not much else going on so it seems it's very early development and as I said earlier far from trailer ready.

Great start though more time and work on it will improve it.
Wow man I totally forgot you have a alpha from 3 weeks ago the game is in a whole other state right now I forgot to change the apk I will update that as soon as possible visual feedback Has been added as well as spells en other stuff that would probably make it more worthy of a trailer (it's more like a story trailer and not as much a game trailer) you were basically playing a version of the game that had lots of bugs that have been ironed

Y

Yvalson

I forgot to update the gamefile in my post this has now been updated to be up to date there is a little thingy in the forest if you are willing to find it. i would appriciate if people could tell me how long it took them to find it. (pls don't use the spells as those are pretty op for low level mognorians) it should take around 30minutes to find the thing longer is better

mar_cuz

Wow man I totally forgot you have a alpha from 3 weeks ago the game is in a whole other state right now I forgot to change the apk I will update that as soon as possible visual feedback Has been added as well as spells en other stuff that would probably make it more worthy of a trailer (it's more like a story trailer and not as much a game trailer) you were basically playing a version of the game that had lots of bugs that have been ironed
Ok I will try the new version

mar_cuz

I forgot to update the gamefile in my post this has now been updated to be up to date there is a little thingy in the forest if you are willing to find it. i would appriciate if people could tell me how long it took them to find it. (pls don't use the spells as those are pretty op for low level mognorians) it should take around 30minutes to find the thing longer is better
I have tried the update and it is much improved though still a ways to go.

I'm not a fan of the battle mode as nothing changes besides just adding enemies (too many by the way) in another room/area when battle can take place on the map as it is. Also, the enemies overlap each other and can look like one enemy but actually be a lot more this is a collision issue. When in battle the enemies change direction with you so when you go down, the enemies change to down even if they are on the other side of the screen. This doesn't look good.

Check out steering behaviors in the tutorial forum. They excellent to use and perfect for pathfinding ai around many obstacles.

The spells didn't work for me. When opening the inventory while walking, the player keeps walking in the background. I think the player should stop while the inventory is open.

I couldn't find The thing in the forest because I couldn't beat the first lot of enemies in battle mode.

The art is ok, though a different more detailed path tile in the town would look much better.

Good work so far, keep it up!

Y

Yvalson

I'm not a fan of the battle mode as nothing changes besides just adding enemies (too many by the way) in another room/area when battle can take place on the map as it is. Also, the enemies overlap each other and can look like one enemy but actually be a lot more this is a collision issue. When in battle the enemies change direction with you so when you go down, the enemies change to down even if they are on the other side of the screen. This doesn't look good.

Check out steering behaviors in the tutorial forum. They excellent to use and perfect for pathfinding ai around many obstacles.

The spells didn't work for me. When opening the inventory while walking, the player keeps walking in the background. I think the player should stop while the inventory is open.

I couldn't find The thing in the forest because I couldn't beat the first lot of enemies in battle mode.

The art is ok, though a different more detailed path tile in the town would look much better.

Yeah I know about the overlapping problem I'm trying to get them to circle the enemy but I haven't added the enemy himself to the avoid instances thing as I think the enemy will try to avoid itself (not sure though)

I will check it out was already looking for a better pathfinding system so thank you

The spells should work however I didn't tell you that they need stamina

1st one needs 35
2nd needs 50
3rd one needs 65
And 4th one needs 100 (full bar)
You also have to tab the spell button because the spell bar(which i need to make bigger) is only to select a spell (currently making a selected thing so the player knows which spell is selected.

The walking while in inventory is intentional the inventory isn't a sit back and relax but rather a quickly do something and then go back to playing. (No pausing hehehe) the amount of enemies might be a bit high but the spells when you get them working should make up for that (in the final game I'll change it tho as the player won't have any spells when going through the forest)

Hope you'll try again

Y

Yvalson

And about the arena thing I can't do that is inside the normal world as of now I have a problem with enemies spawning in places where they can't reach the player because every object outside of the view gets deleted the removing trees thing was just a workaround. I am going to add randomly placed trees and stones tho to make the battle arena cooler and different each time the player gets in a battle however if I find a way to fix that I'll defenitely bring back the battling inside the normal world thing

Y

Yvalson

so I took a look at the steering behaviors but I've come to the conclusion that it's not really what I'm looking for and thus I'll keep the current path finding system for now I will add other enemy avoidance though to stop the enemy stacking

Y

Yvalson

been gone for way to long.

have changed and added a huge amount of things.
currently I have a small part of the story playable while also adding more off the world. also changed some things regarding removing objects that aren't in view.
game should be way more playable now and might actually be fun I'd like for people to try it out. and give some feedback on the story and graphics. I know that the enemy AI is currently pretty bad but i'm very busy with getting the world done currently.
the game map should be done in mid october because Ill have an autumn break in which I'll have more time to finish the map. after that I'll have another 1.5months to finish the story and release the game. (more enemies will be added to the game so it won't just be mognorians.)
there are some pics of what the game looks like now

also I have a alpha build for you guys to play as well for both windows and android (android is the target platform so would appriciate feedback for that build, mainly performance)

there is also a cool thingy in the dessert

pc version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6d-A-ZjyLxnaFBxMF9Xa0hDU2c
android version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6d-A-ZjyLxnd2k4RnVIc18xN28

thanks in advance and have fun
ps. you can provide feedback about playtime, graphics, performance, fun, etc

Attachments

Y

Yvalson

I like the progress you have made so far!
Thanks, I'm almost done with the entire world map and I'm going the start on the story and missions late October if you have any suggestions or things you'd like to see feel free to share them

I'm also considering change the battle system in a turn based system but I'd like some feedback. It would remove the problem that I'm currently having with incorrectly spawning enemies and I could spice the difficulty up a notch but it would require a pretty big overhaul of the underlying code so I'd like some feedback on that. Here is a concept:

They player has a HP pool and a stamina pool

The player can do weak attacks normal attacks and heavy attacks(weak = high accuracy low damage, normal = normal accuracy normal damage, heavy = low accuracy high damage)
Next to that the player has 6 spells which alter either stats or do massive damage or in the case of the teleport spell you have a % off change that you flee the battle.
Enemies would have a pool of attacks they can choose from and different kind of effects.
It would make it way easier to make boss
Battles for me because I wouldn't have to make alternate ai for every one of them and instead can just tweak their difficulty level.

What this means:
More bosses.
More different kinds of Mognorians.
If I can implement it fast it would also mean I would have more time to add more and missions to the story.
I can add more bosses after the game is released.
I would be able to make a deeper battling systen.

I would have to rebuild the entire battling system from the ground up.

I think it would be totally worth it but I want some feedback

Y

Yvalson

full map is now as good as done. FINALLY.
everything is going as I had planned so very happy.
for the following month I'll be finishing the games story and side-quests and change a few sprites and add some small things, I've also decided to go for a turn based battling system and I'll be making a second thread with the full game stuff on the first post to get more attention as the in the current first post I didn't have any usefull information. I'll also post the picture of the full map on that thread so for anyone interested you'll have to check that one ;) i'll add a link when the thread is created.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/mognor-wars-redemption-with-world-play.36908/