• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion for GMS2 improvements, bugs and issues list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawel

I have been using GMS2 for some time now and I have suggestions that could improve working with the IDE and GMS2 overall.

Some of these points are probably bugs.

If one of them is outdated please let me know in the comments and I will correct the list.

The list is open so I will add new things when I find them. You can also contribute if you find anything.

Here it goes in no particular order:

IDE v2.1.2.257 Runtime v2.1.2.172
1. Splash screens for iOS should be grouped eg. all landscape and then all portrait. Currently they are
alternately. Which forces you to search appropriate image on the disk.
(FIXED) 2. Code editor is not breaking line when shift is pressed. This makes it difficult to quickly open close curly brackets { }
(FIXED)
3. In some cases variables after var keyword are not colored appropriately
4. It is not possible to move highlighted text using mouse in code editor.
5. Project time is stopping for some reason and it is not calculating the time correctly.
6. Image editor needs the tool to shift all frames images in one direction
7. Sprite names on the HDD are encoded so it is difficult to choose appropriate frames. eg. If I want to load frames 3, 4, 5, 11 it is not possible without displaying large icons.
8. It is not possible to load/import many scripts into the project. If I have 10 helper scripts I must load them one by one
9. GMS2 have problems with sprite sheets larger than 8192x8192 both when it is needed to load or write such sprite sheet.
10. It should be possible to view all frames of the sprite in the grid like it was in GMS1 (ability to choose would be the best)
11. Smooth option does't work in image editor in every tool. For pixel size eg. 1-3
12. It should be the option to turn off/on automatic resource placement in the workspace. When it is needed they should be placed on top of each other and not scattered throughout the project.
13. Allow object windows to overlap console and resource tree. It would allow to have more space on the screen.
14. In code editor the line where the line numbers are is to thick. It should be scalable and it should be the possibility to turn it off entirely.
(FIXED) 15. Name competition is not always working when there is a text after the current one eg. global.varia) should be global.variable but ) is preventing completion.
16. Search bar in Edit>search&replace is always cleared so each time one must write it again.
17. GMS2 settings shoud have the option to save/load them on the HDD. In case of windows crash or other disaster
18. All chained windows should be able to move horizontally when dragged by the bar of any chained window not only main object window.
19. Snippets window should highlight one of the snippets so it could be possible to select them using arrow keys and enter not only mouse and key shortcuts
(OUTDATED) 20. Marketplace price tier $0.99 is gone and all assets which had this price went free without possibility to change their price for 10 days.
21. Possibility to import GMS1.4 scripts/shaders to GMS2 other than copy/paste
(FIXED) 22. Code editor is not coloring global arrays like global variables. eg. when global variables are blue than global.arr[0] is not.
23. Output/search/source control/... windows should have any height. They have limited height so it is causing some troubles. It is not possible to make them full screen at once.
(FIXED) 24. Target should be remembered after closing IDE. It is set back to Windows after restart.
25. There should be automatic version numbering for each target. After each compilation the number should be increased. It is hard to remember doing that each time we compile
26. Resource tree should focus on newest created resource. Currently it is possible that newly created resource is hidden and we must scroll the tree to see it.
(FIXED) 27. Output window should scroll automatically every time. Now when game outputs something to the console using show_debug_message() output window is not scrolling.
28. There should be an option to change #region colors in the settings
29. There should be tool tips for all resources. eg. when we move the mouse on the resource with long name it should be displayed next to the mouse.
30. Global settings for rooms like room size, cameras, views and ports. Since Game is using only one game window size there is no need to set it in each room
31. Why not simplify view/port/camera system? it would be a lot simpler when always window_size=view_port
32. Progress bar during compilation is not calculating build time correctly it sometimes counts slower/faster than it should. It should calculate mean time from for example 5 previous build times.
33. Chained windows should scale according to screen size. When working with two or more screens with different sizes/aspect ratios when moving to second screen chain is not fitting to the size of the second screen. Because it is only possible to move chain using bar on the object (or mouse scroll) not entire chain is visible on the screen.
34. After copying or pasting a block of text into code editor cursor is not showing where it should when you press END on the keyboard right after.
(FIXED) 35. Ctrl + c should not copy empty string. Sometimes when we copy something and then accidentally we press ctrl + c when nothing is selected all from the clipboard is gone.
(FIXED) 36. Shaders are not importing from the files

37. There should be an option to automatically hide compile log.
38. Click & drag sprites/groups onto the texture-group interface to reassign the texture groups
39. When importing strip png file TAB should jump between editable text fields and not buttons. It should work the same for all forms not only there.
40. Snippets should be saved along with the studio settings. (see also point 17) Currently after installing studio update we have to manually copy snippets file.
41. There should be an option under rmb to create script with the same name like highlighted text. It would speed up making them.
42. Add resize room controls similar to resize sprite/image canvas controls -- expand or shrink the room in the direction the user chooses.
43. Drag&Drop recursive directory resource importing. Drag another project's sprite folder into your project window, and it iterates through the entire directory to add all sprite resources to your active project.
44. Line breaking in snippets code is not working either by # or \n

This is a long list of issues. Some of them are easy to fix some of them probably not. YoYoGames is already busy with updating GMS2 but this list could provide them with the information what could be done to make our life a lot easier when using GMS2.

Sorry for grammar errors I am not native English speaker but I am trying :)

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Marketplace price tier $0.99 is gone and all assets which had this price went free without possibility to change their price for 10 days.
All $0.99 priced items went up to $1.99 I believe, not free. If this isn't the case for one of your items, please contact the helpdesk.

Pawel

Thanks. I discovered it after the fact.
The 10 days period have passed and I have changed it to 1.99.
There are probably other people who did't noticed it.
There was no info about it.

Dmi7ry

All $0.99 priced items went up to $1.99 I believe, not free.
I had same problem. An asset price was $0.99 and when I changed description, it automatically was saved as $0 (I believe that afer I pressed "Edit" button, It was reseted to $0). Price should be changed to $1.99 automatically, not $0.

CMAllen

Can I add "click & drag sprites/groups onto the texture-group interface to reassign the texture groups" to the list? Or is this already on a list somewhere?

CMAllen

Another suggestion: add resize room controls similar to resize sprite/image canvas controls -- expand or shrink the room in the direction the user chooses.

-edit-

Also, Drag&Drop recursive directory resource importing. Drag another project's sprite folder into your project window, and it iterates through the entire directory to add all sprite resources to your active project.

Last edited:
Nice comprehensive list.

This is sort of related to point 43, so I thought I'd just chip in. Haven't gotten anything from the thread I posted this issue, so I'll just post it here. I wrote:

So I'm trying to import a handful of sprites from one GMS2 project to another, but have run into an issue. I know that in In GMS2, if we Right-click the Sprites category, we have the option of selecting "Add Existing". The problem, however, is that unlike being single .gmx files like in GMS 1.4, the sprites are arranged in these folders, and the actual file (.yy) is contained therein. In GMS 1.4, you could just select all the .gmx sprite files you wanted and that'd be it. Here, you can't do that because the .yy files are in a folder so you can't select multiple files.

Is there any way to do this? I tried copy-pasting but the copied sprites do not show up. The manual seems to not have any info on this either.
Link to original thread: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...le-sprites-from-one-project-to-another.36557/

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
File bugs or this will be ignored....

We don't work from random thoughts on the forums..

Russell..

P.S. Yes I mean file one bug for each (we also don't work from bugs that have multiple issues in them).

P.P.S. Yes I mean a single bug for each one...

Pawel

Thank you Russell for clarifying that... You probably ban my account after I file 44 bug/suggestions :)

Most of them are not bugs but changes which would make the work with GMS2 faster/easier.
As you can see they are not random. I am not the tester at YYG but a loyal fan.
I am using GMS in a daily basis in my business. These issues are in the order I have found them.

Are you suggesting to me that YoYoGames staff is not interested with that what community is saying?
YoYoGames is not listening to feedback other that filed using official channels?

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We are very interested in feedback and you can discuss things here amongst the forum users, but if you want anything done then it needs to be filed with us as a suggestion / bug.

We do not work from forum posts.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.