best publishing sites

T

teamrocketboyz

Hello all I'm just wondering what's the best sites to publish your games. I have already set up an itch.io and about to set up a gamejolt.

Anymore I should know about?

Steam. Its the approachable one that gets sales.

If you're not in it for the sales, I've had experience with itch.io and GameJolt. I've been featured on GameJolt twice and it seems like it generates traffic all on its own without me having to do anything. People do let's plays. Meanwhile, trying to drive traffic to itch.io has utterly failed and people won't even find or look at the games. So I uploaded a free art asset pack and like magic, people find that.

There are plenty of places:
Indiegamestand
IndieDB
Kongrigate
Newgrounds

If you're going for premium...
HumbleBundle
GOG
Microsoft's own store
IndieGala
BundleStars
EA
OnePlay

The list goes on and on. I'd say EA, Humble and GOG have the highest barrier of entry and reject content even when they tell you hey we'll let you in! That's just hearsay though. Friends of mine have been invited in only to get rejected.

Fern

@sitebender pretty much nailed it. Steam is really the only store you can expect to get users. Anywhere else is pretty much a deadzone. I've put games on Steam that have sold a ton of copies but on Itch.io only sold 4 or 5 copies.

G

Guest User

You can publish your games at Gamejolt and/or itch.io for free, Steam might costs you a "developer" account fee, I don't remember how much they priced it exactly but I remember it was US$100.00, Steam is the best for reaching more customers, anyway, if you are a strong independent developer or looking for self-publishing then you can use Bluelight Checkout to sell directly from your website.

J

jutohamo

The $100 on Steam is a bit hard to stomach for an indie developer, true, but the exposure is priceless. Your game might trend on its own.

I'm pretty sure the $100 is not only for Valve's benefit but filters out the serious devs from the not-so-serious ones. Gamejolt and itch.io have a lot of underdeveloped games in their market b/c there's no cost involved (not to say they're bad markets, they're great tools to use when you've got an alpha to present).

WarpDogsVG

I've been like Gamejolt a lot lately. I get a lot more exposure there than Itch for my incomplete game, and it's easier to use to boot.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people are talking about Gamejolt in the next year or so

The $100 on Steam is a bit hard to stomach for an indie developer, true, but the exposure is priceless. Your game might trend on its own.
It depends on economy. If you're a teen starting out or someone from a nation with a weak economy that $100 will be tough to overcome. That's where a publisher would come in handy. Just watch out for normal people trying to steal your game posing as a publisher. There are quite a few of them over on Steam Workshop. If they don't have a publisher profile / company profile, or if their twitter has less than 10,000 followers, chances are they can't really help you in any way.

Last edited: