• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Help with resolution?

N

Noba

Note: Let me know if this is in the wrong place before removing it so I can copy the text over to the right place!

So with my new game, the graphics are mainly comprised of simple shapes with different gradients. It works pretty well for what I'm doing where the focus is on gameplay rather than graphics, but I've ran into my first problem.

The size of these sprites are big, sometimes over 200 pixels in length/width or whatever, which doesn't seem like much, but in the actual room they are VERY big. I solved this by making a huge room (4000x4000), since scaling the sprites down would cause them to look ugly and make the gradient impossible to see... Which caused another problem.

I'm up to making a main menu, but gamemaker only lets me set a font of 200, which is still obviously extremely small for what I need. So my question is;

How do other people/you do it? What should I do to keep the sprite size/quality while still having a small room/screen or whatever? Keep in mind I'm new-ish to game maker, but I know my way around it's interface and some of GML.

Thanks.

N

Noba

I'll try those out, thanks. And the problem with the second is this, and I do hate to admit this, but I struggled with making a main menu so I used the tutorial by this guy
and the problem with THAT is that it doesn't use variables and all that for the text input, but rather an array. How should I change it?

Repix

I'll try those out, thanks. And the problem with the second is this, and I do hate to admit this, but I struggled with making a main menu so I used the tutorial by this guy
and the problem with THAT is that it doesn't use variables and all that for the text input, but rather an array. How should I change it?
Well if that menu works, just switch the draw_text out with draw_text_transformed. shouldn't cause any issues.

N

Noba

Well if that menu works, just switch the draw_text out with draw_text_transformed. shouldn't cause any issues.
Ohh wait, you're right. Draw text was just somewhere else, and the draw_sprite_ext has worked great aswell. Thanks for the help!

N

Noba

You got it pal! ^_^
Oh err, one other problem I'm having now that everything is scaled down, it seems to have the same hit box as how it should normally have? (and it probably does), I'm assuming I just have to scale down the actual objects in the room?