• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

"Prisoner Of War" style game

D

David11

Hi Members,

3D

Technically, this topic belongs in collab. But because I have nothing started, I dont meet certain requirements for collab, and its just an idea, thats why its in off-topic for now.

There was a game for PS2 called "Prisoner Of War." This game was based on WW2 as a British pilot, taking photos, gets shot down by the Germans. The player, ends in POW camp. The player then has to talk to other prisoners, do favors, and speak tons of time sneaking around camp where he wasnt allowed. All while figuring out how to escape, this game kept you on edge as you had to follow a series of camp rules. Dont forget to be in the right area for morning role call, and evening role call. If your not, the camp goes on lockdown, air siren goes off, dogs and soldiers are searching for you. I thought the game idea was pretty cool.
This aspect of being a prisoner durring WW2, being weapon free, hasnt really been covered too many times. Id like to do the a simmilar idea (of course with a different story line) but wouldnt bother, if there was a zero interest in something like this. If you want a better idea of this game, there are a few videos on Youtube. Should I go foward with making a game like this?

The guys who did A Tale of Two Brothers (I think? Can't remember the name. Two sons?) are making a co-op prison break game right now. It looks good. Check it out sometime.

I think there'd be interest in a game like this, but it's hard to find a team online without paying people. Good luck to you!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Technically, this topic belongs in collab....
Not really, since you aren't looking for team members. Just discussing a game idea. So I moved this here to Game Design.

Dont forget to be in the right area for morning role call, and evening role call.
I think that would make an interesting gameplay mechanic. You have to build an escape... but periodically return to the same spot. Interesting challenge for a game IMO.

DukeSoft

Sounds interesting. Escape rooms are getting more and more popular but haven't seen many of those types of games. This would be an interesting one :)

D

David11

I think there'd be interest in a game like this, but it's hard to find a team online without paying people. Good luck to you!
I have a guy that pops in out occasionally to help, but most do everything myself. Thank you, if I do get it started :D

Not really, since you aren't looking for team members
LOL Actually Chance it does, I just worded things wrong. I was going to start off a collab on it, but put it on hold, and see what others thought first. :D

I think that would make an interesting gameplay mechanic. You have to build an escape... but periodically return to the same spot. Interesting challenge for a game IMO.
That part of the game really kept you looking at that clock 24/7. I think the most "on edge" part of that game was a mission was a night mission, where you, of course, had to watch time, but sneak to the 'Officers Quarters' go past a bunch of sleeping soldiers, go to the second floor, next to another sleeping officer. Then steal something, go back down creaky wooden stairs, past soldiers, avoid night patrol, and german dogs. Not only was the game making an audio hearbeat, but mine was beating outa my chest HAHAHHA. They made is, so when your doing something wrong, the audio is cut in half, you end up crouching by default, and your heartbeat is heard. Great aspect of it.

Aww man! I loved that game so much! It would be very very interesting to see something like that again.
Myself as well. If I deside to go that route, can I add you to the collab?

Sounds interesting. Escape rooms are getting more and more popular but haven't seen many of those types of games. This would be an interesting one :)
It was pretty much my thought as well. Originally, I was going to go the route of an actual Jewish prisoner. Hasnt been done yet. But since some surviors still exist, they could either embrace it, or revolt it. So in all really, I just think its better off not going doen that road at all. Stick with the war hero scenerio. :D

S

sebbl

Should I go foward with making a game like this?
Yeah, go for it!

What perspective are planning to use?

But I agree with chance: it will be a real challenge. There should be multiple ways to get out of prison (e.g. incite a riot, sneaking out, digging a tunnel).
You don't have to program a huge rpg-like game. Maybe you can focus on the escaping itself. So that the player will walk-through the game several times, each time trying to escape another way. A run lasts maybe between 10 and 30 minutes and the way you escaped in the earlier runs is blocked.
That would keep things simple but motivating and fun.

D

David11

Im thinking more of 3D. Unless I go back in time, to an earlier game that was 2D, I honestly have a tough time stomaching 2D.

There should be multiple ways to get out of prison (e.g. incite a riot, sneaking out, digging a tunnel).
Nice ideas! Didnt even think about riot HAHHA. In the original "POW" there was a tunnel that was for spies to go to and back.

You don't have to program a huge rpg-like game.
If your talking about huge as in map size, I agree 100%. That happens to be the biggest issue with certain games. Must be some kind of 'my gun is bigger than yours' mentallity. I seen a movie two years ago, cant remember name. But it was one scene. Yes, you read that right. One scene, with 3-4 camera angles. This guy was burried in a coffin, wth a cellphone and a light I believe. Whole movie was about getting help. I watched it, even after the one scene got to me, but was more interested if they could pull it off. Guess what? The movie actualy was good. They pulled off the one scene.

Maybe you can focus on the escaping itself. So that the player will walk-through the game several times, each time trying to escape another way. A run lasts maybe between 10 and 30 minutes and the way you escaped in the earlier runs is blocked.
That would keep things simple but motivating and fun.
Sadly though, Im never simple LMAO :p I think the main reason I even do games, is because of all the behind the scenes. Love story lines, to music scores. The creativity is the best :D

S

sebbl

I seen a movie two years ago, cant remember name.
'BURIED' real good movie :rolleyes:

Sadly though, Im never simple LMAO :p I think the main reason I even do games, is because of all the behind the scenes. Love story lines, to music scores. The creativity is the best :D
Hehe ok. I know what you mean. I love games with a huge story and tons of quests and all the stuff.
But as a programmer (if I may call me so) I try to keep it simple. I just wouldn't finish a project that huge :p
But you are looking for collab and I wish you the best.
Just keep us informed how it is working.

D

David11

'BURIED' real good movie :rolleyes:
HAHAH That must be it.

But as a programmer (if I may call me so) I try to keep it simple. I just wouldn't finish a project that huge :p
I dont know if my idea itself has to be huge. Im thinking, one descent size prison, with missions or chapter as some call it now. What makes some games big or small, IMO, can be whether or not hints are available, or certain cirrcumstances have been met. Originally, when I played "POW" some of the hints were a bit confusing. Do I talk to this guy at 9pm first, or steal the plans first (just an idea) When I played the original "Silent Hill" for the first time, it took me a couple of months to complete. When I played it a again a few years ago, I had it complete in one weekend. So was the game huge, or was it simple and small? With this in mind, my idea doesnt have to be huge. It could be small and simple with some tricky ideas :D

S

sebbl

When I played the original "Silent Hill" for the first time, it took me a couple of months to complete. When I played it a again a few years ago, I had it complete in one weekend. So was the game huge, or was it simple and small?
I know what you mean. I think the area in the game was pretty small and the maps where simple. But if you didn't know where to go, you would've spent e whole week just for one task, going back to that locked door, trying this one key over and over because you thought 'it have to fit' :D
The game didn't give too obvious hints and that's fine.

As you say it:
It could be small and simple with some tricky ideas
Would be a cool principle for a breakout game: find your own way!
No objectives that give obvious hints, you have to find out in conversations.
No arrows showing you where to find everything.
imo that would make neat game.

J

jutohamo

Would you set it in a different era? Like the future, for example? That would be fun

D

David11

Ive thought of doing that. With it in the future, I could create new tools and toys for the player to have. But if I did that, the true depth of story would be lost. Hitler was a ruthless guy. If I did a future story, I would have to create a whole new war. Which might be a good idea.

Edit: Im actually like the 'future' idea. Maybe North Korea vs the world idea. Like WW4 (i know I didnt put 3. Many wouldnt surive 3)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David11

In case you haven't heard of it, there's an earlier game, called The Great Escape.
Actually, I have heard of it. I dont think ive seen it though.

,,the idea of making your escape while avoiding detection was very appealing.
Ive been thinking over the idea of this game. I believe Im going to do something a bit different than the original. I think as opposed of being 100% trying to escape, I think Im going to do 50/50. Im going to ease up on making it difficult to escape. It will be easier to escape, then the other half of the game, try getting the rest to escape. So the whole game isnt foused on primarily escaping. Once the game is half way through, you escape too some hidden cabin in the surrounding woods, and work on getting the rest of the prisoners out, one at a time.