Beta Bubble Bob! - Android open beta

JacPete

Hello,
i just wanted you to show my current WIP title Bubble Bob!,
Bubble Bob! is a jump´n´run platformer game where you use bubble spells to bubble your enemies, maybe a bit violent.
I dunno how much levels this game will get, but its realy funny developing it, so i think there are coming a lot of levels and bosses into the game :)
Hope you like the screenshots and please join the open beta.

Bubble Bob is now available in open beta:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jacpete.bubblebob

Last edited:
D

Docker

I really like the artwork and the very basic 'animation', just had a nice feel to it.
I think you need to be careful on repetitiveness though, after 4 minutes of watching the video I started to wonder if/when something new would appear as everything becomes very samey.

It looks fun and quirky with the perfect amount of simplicity for a mobile game.

JacPete

its just a basic alpha for now, more will follow soon. iam going to ad story elements and items to the game aswell as bosses, mini bosses and bigger enemies. and for sure some aditional animations. music and sfx are not finished at this point also ^^

A

Ankokushin

Hey, seems like a pretty solid game. The idea is original, though, as Docker pointed out, it does look like there is a lot of repetition. Gameplay is simple and clean, which is nice.

The tiles are pretty. The animated characters are not so pretty.

I LOVED the music, though.o_O Like, feels so videogamey and relaxing.

A

Ankokushin

I am happy to hear that! It is nice to see you are motivated and enhancing your game - I think the final product will be very fun. Congratulations on your work!

M

MagnumVulcanos

I'm really happy for you, this seems like a solid game that can keep people occupied for a while.
The bubble mechanics are simple enough to understand and fun to play with, pretty good idea overall.
I'll be downloading this on my phone to actually play it, so far looks like plenty of fun!

M

MagnumVulcanos

thank you @MagnumVulcanos some more adjustments and i think its pretty cool than :)
Played the game, it's pretty good, here's a few minor improvements to better the "feel" of the game:
-Make transition animations from menu to menu or level to level shorter, you can tell it's a bubble even if the animation is faster.
-The butterflies at the start of the game... are bad, they fly too high for you to grab sometimes, are too small, and I dropped a box on top of one and it didn't die? Maybe I was seeing things but the butterfies seem like a weak introduction. On the other hand the enemies right at the next level are satisfying to kill and drop coins, those are cool.
-The invisible button is bad design, I know that a button that isn't invisible looks intrusive, but 0.1 alpha is always going to look better than no button at all.
-Make the two moving buttons on the main menu immobile, having to wait for buttons is bad design.
-Unintuitive icons: The bubble button is a thunder, instead use a bubble blower toy symbol. The exit button in the main menu looks like a reset button, it should be an X.
-Consider replacing the screen that shows what each button does with a dinamic tutorial level with instructions written on walls, like cuphead did. It's much beter design to show than to tell, and force players to use what you teach them at least once.

All in all, good game, not that good design.
Bear in mind that these are really small complaints... They matter more the sooner they show up in your game, meaning that the moving main menu icons are the worst offender, not the butterfly level. But still they detract from the general experience. The game by itself is fun.

Here's a bubble blower toy, which I personally think your character should use as a scepter:

JacPete

thanks for the feedback @MagnumVulcanos, the buttons slide down to the screen cause i want to make sure the ads bufferd correctly before the game finaly starts.
The transistions can be made faster without any problems i think.
The butterflys are just for tutorial reasons so that you can learn how to bobble smash, i surely can set them a bit way down. A falling down box should normaly kill an butterfly maybe i need to check the code.
i know its not easy to know at the beginning where to smash cause of the invisible button, iam going to build in a option that allows you to make it invisible and make it slightly visible in standard setting than.
iam going to overwork the tutorial in some updates also, its just a placeholder at the moment.