• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows First game - Lander

N

Nez

Lander

Retro game goodness from Orksmegga. Survive 15 gruelling levels to prove you are worthy to save the planet from the Slime-o-morph invasion!

Features
15 nerve wracking levels
Retro gameplay
Evil baddies
Techno soundtrack

Download
Single executable download here no install, just download to desktop and run! Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Roencia

Reminds me of that game Jetman Revival. Do you remember that? The gameplay seems similar. Was very fun. I bet this is to.

F

FruitPunchGuy

Lander
@Nez
Writing by: @FruitPunchGuy
~~~

At first glance, Lander appears to be a fairly basic space flight game. Upon hitting new game, we're greeted by a text intro as to who we are and what situation we're placed in. This was a nice touch. Although more could have been added to make it more exciting and/or blood pumping e.g pictures, it was still pretty good. The story did not feel forcefully attached, nor did the levels appear to be irrelevant to the introduction.

The gameplay mechanics are similar to other space flight games. You hold a button to thrust, you use two buttons to rotate and then you traverse through a level. This game added it's own twists on the pre-existing gameplay model. You have a meter for fuel, a meter for the hull's condition and a meter for your shield. You need to traverse each stage without wasting fuel and without damaging the ship. The first two levels provide a good idea as to what you'll be doing. The difficulty is satisfactory. Some may consider it too difficult while others may find it a fun challenge. However, something I found annoying was how 'heavy' the input felt. If A or D were held even a single moment longer, the ship's rotation would cause direct impact with the surrounding walls. Conserving fuel was very difficult, because the levels demanded that I move slowly which meant tapping the thrust button in order to slowly reach my objective. This led to me losing lots of fuel. Colliding with walls was also a pain. There's hardly any gap between damage taking. This meant that if you collided with the wall and had just pressed the thrust button, then your hull would be destroyed faster than the thrust could help you escape. In some levels, reaching the fuel pickup was fairly tricky. If you're timing and position is not perfect, you won't get the fuel necessary and are guaranteed to fail.

I liked the tunes that played while I was on the menu or the introduction, but the moment I started a level it all went silent. Sure, it's a space game, and most space games lack music in the background, but even a low volume melody in the background would have been nice to hear. The levels looked the same in terms of objects, with the only difference being the color pallet. With the right amount of time, each level could have been made to look unique. It would've been much more fun to explore varying landscapes than to see the same pipes and walls recolored.

It's short but entertaining. And as a first game, it's actually very good. Lander is a good game on it's own, and I'm very sure that there is room for a superior sequel. If the flaws within Lander can be eliminated and the already working be improved and brought to perfection, then this can be a great game worthy of recommendation.

The opinions and points of view offered in this review are not the opinions and points of view of the GMC Rad Reviewers, but from the author of the review. We are all humans; as such, we might have made a mistake or misinterpreted something when playing your game, so please share your thoughts of this review with us.

[GMCRR]

I am trying to replicate this exact movement for my game. You guys know if there a spot somewhere I can get some help with coding it?

T

teamrocketboyz

Excellent lookign first game. alot better than mine (an asteroid avoiding game) this has great elements and i cant wait to give it a try.

J

JRLS

VERY NICE!!!!

I like the graphics, and the game is very smooth, and the lander has a good feel gravity and thrust wise. well done!
Plays very well! Although the game is a bit hard, but that's just me...
(i'm currently stuck at some level)

Some ideas:
1) In the main screen, i need the mouse to select game, and also the mouse to select the level.
You should make it entirely so that you control the game with ONLY keys, without using mouse to select something
e.g. in the main screen, use up and down key to select (with enter)
(maybe it IS possible to NOT use the mouse, in that case, forgot what i said...)

2) Also, you use A, D and ENTER to control your lander. I find the keys a bit awkward.
Maybe an idea would be to make it possible to assign your own keys, and save those settings.

3) If the player switches to full screen, you should save the settings, so if next time you boot the game, it goes into full screen immediately (and vice versa for windowed mode)

How did you implement the thrusting of the lander?
Using GM physics, are just "normal" code?
Just wondering..

Great game! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabnock

Looks really good. I was working on a lander derivative but after seeing this I don't think i'll bother :D