Design Need help with color picking and general game design

jazzzar

So after spending some time doing nothing, and some time learning how to draw some art (vector art), so I can at least stop using black and white thingy :p, I started making my next game, the thing is, I'm so bad when it comes to design and picking colors that match, and that's where I need your help beautiful people of GM, here's what I have now :

One of my friends told me that the colors (blue and green) do NOT work together and I just can't for the life of me see why, I need help choosing what works best for the style I'm doing, It would really help me so much! Waiting for your responses kind people, thank you in advance!

Last edited:
V

Viper

Too much green at the bottom side - maybe make blue leading the area more than green?
Blend more cheerful and brighter background. :)

jazzzar

Too much green at the bottom side - maybe make blue leading the area more than green?
Blend more cheerful and brighter background. :)
well for the background you're right, it's just a placeholder, what about the character and other stuff? is it good or nah? thanks for your input!

V

Vinchuca

Hi!
The truth? I do not see anything wrong with the choice of colors.
But I do not know what your concept is for the game.
But if you want to change it I would recommend replacing the colors of the background with warm colors (like orange and red) as if it were a sunset.
If you opt for this, you should add an outline to the coins, maybe a darker yellow / orange (by the way, the player is the only object with a black outline, I would eliminate it to make it more homogeneous).
If you have problems to form pallets I can recommend that you take a look at colourlovers (dot) com
Greetings.

Vxss57

The green and blue are blending too fast, and the green is really overpowering everything in the scene. The grass gets lost in that green background as well.
I really like the vector type cloud.

jazzzar

Hi!
But if you want to change it I would recommend replacing the colors of the background with warm colors (like orange and red) as if it were a sunset.
If you opt for this, you should add an outline to the coins, maybe a darker yellow / orange (by the way, the player is the only object with a black outline, I would eliminate it to make it more homogeneous).
If you have problems to form pallets I can recommend that you take a look at colourlovers (dot) com
Greetings.
thank you so much, great stuff! I think Imma change the player outline, for the coins, it does have an outline, but you can't see it clearly due to it being too small :p maybe Ill make it more visible!
The green and blue are blending too fast, and the green is really overpowering everything in the scene. The grass gets lost in that green background as well.
yeah the background is going to be changed, no worries, thank you!
Spend some time playing with something like Adobe Kuler to help pick complimentary colour schemes and palettes.
Thanks for the suggestion!

jazzzar

Hi!
Greetings.
thank you so much, great stuff! I think Imma change the player outline, for the coins, it does have an outline, but you can't see it clearly due to it being too small :p maybe Ill make it more visible!
yeah the background is going to be changed, no worries, thank you!
Spend some time playing with something like Adobe Kuler to help pick complimentary colour schemes and palettes.
Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT : sorry for double posting, my internet's being too slow :(

Your grass blends in with the sky. Either change the color of the sky or add a black outline to the solids. I recommend your blue sky be blue rather than meld into green. Make your flowers larger even if they are currently proportional to your character. Your dirt texture looks flat, add some red hue in there, make it look a bit more colorful rather than bland.

jazzzar

Your grass blends in with the sky. Either change the color of the sky or add a black outline to the solids. I recommend your blue sky be blue rather than meld into green. Make your flowers larger even if they are currently proportional to your character. Your dirt texture looks flat, add some red hue in there, make it look a bit more colorful rather than bland.

that's for the BG, as someone suggested, it looks like a sunset now, for the stroke, gonna remove the black stroke from the ball, but it needs time due to it being already animated, for the flowers i think they're fine, why make them bigger :p and I really don't get what you mean by "add some red hue in there", care to elaborate? Just give me an example? thank you so much!

Tulloch

Layers are important, it gives your game depth and invites your player into the world you created for them. Don't forget foreground layers!

Animation gives your game life and emotion. Your character's facial expression should represent his interactions with the world as well as with the player.

I think that would help :)

Also, don't be afraid of colors. Make a scene as you would and expirement tinting it different colors.

jazzzar

Layers are important, it gives your game depth and invites your player into the world you created for them. Don't forget foreground layers!

Animation gives your game life and emotion. Your character's facial expression should represent his interactions with the world as well as with the player.

I think that would help :)

Also, don't be afraid of colors. Make a scene as you would and expirement tinting it different colors.
thank you! awesome suggestions!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Character is outlined in black, nothing else is... this just looks weirds. Either you should have the character not be outlined, or you should have all the terrain have a black outline.

jazzzar

Character is outlined in black, nothing else is... this just looks weirds. Either you should have the character not be outlined, or you should have all the terrain have a black outline.
very true indeed! That already got changed, thanks for the suggestion Yal!