• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Team Request Team Assemble!

M

Master Maker

Game makers Assemble! I'm calling out to assemble a team of superheros who will aid my game in succeeding!
The End Goal for Narcissus
Narcissus is a 2/2.5 dimensional action adventure game with heavy story elements (as in, the game follows the story). You can play solo, or do multiplayer such as PvP or boss fights.

The Story:
email me at [email protected] for the story (sorry, it's a word document, so it won't transfer to the forum).

The Gameplay:

You are Marcus (the main character) following the story, fighting the evil minions of Narcissus as you progress. There will be an in-game store, with items both for in-game gold and real money. The game is going to cost $20 for Xbox 360, PS, and PC. There will be a shorter, demo-but-full mobile game for $5.

Multiplayer:
PvP:

In PvP mode, you and up to 10 other people pick (via vote) a map, and you spawn in alone. You can either choose team-mode or FFA mode. There will be weekly, multi-stage tournaments with a prize of goodies, or $$. The tournaments will consist of rounds of 3 games, and the winner of the majority of those advances, and so on until only 11 people remain. At that point, there will be 3 games, after which one person is eliminated, and so on until only two remain.

Boss Fights:
You and a team of other boot-strapping, daring warriors will take on monsters, either from in-story-mode, or as separate challenges. In separate challenge mode, the prize is gold. In in-story-mode, the foes are selected by the party founder, such as that nasty little this-and-that golem that is giving you so much trouble.

What Team members are Needed:
  • A multiplayer, networking-fluent coder, who'll handle stuff such as the multiplayer, LAN, world-wide multiplayer, chat system, etc.
    • Must be able to code networking (duh!)
    • Must be a good, clean commenter (share work in replies to show this)
    • Must be willing to work for 1/10 profit share
  • A graphics coder, who'll do work with shaders, blending, etc.
    • Must have knowledge of CG
      • Must have 1 or more years of work in CG.
    • Must have knowledge of shaders
      • show a shader example below, such as realistic water, shadows, lighting, metallic object shader, etc.
      • Preferably has 1 or more years of shader work
    • Must know how to create lighting, shadows, etc.
      • Show example of either lighting and shadows, realistic water, or metal shaders
  • A combat encounter coder, who'll code stuff like enemy AI, enemy encounters, etc.
    • Must have knowledge of leading AI theory
      • I would love it if you'd share with me your thoughts on AI, or a AI essay.
    • Must know their way around AI
      • Show an example of complex AI
    • Must be able to code learning AI
      • Show learning AI example
    • Must know how to make an enjoyable enemy encounters
      • Show example of enemy encounter system
  • A physics coder, who'll handle the physics of Narcissus
    • Must have knowledge, the deeper the better, of Newtonian physics
    • Must know about coding physics
      • Show a complex physics system, such as realistic water physics.
    • Must have knowledge of non-Newtonian physics
  • A Story Handler, who'll make certain that the story doesn't get lost in the hustle and bustle of making the game.
    • Must be focused
    • Must be detail-oriented
    • Must have basic knowledge of CG, coding, art, game theory, etc. in order to code dialog, story, etc.
      • Show an example of dialog or story in-game
    • Must have deep knowledge of design and story.
      • 2 or more years of experience in story, game design, or other related topic.
  • A GUI coder, who'll code stuff such as menus, healthbars, etc.
    • Must have accurate eyes (as in, knowledge of what looks good)
    • Must have knowledge of CG
      • Show example of CG used in GUI
    • Must have basic knowledge of coding
      • Show GUI code
    • Must have good visual knowledge
  • A GUI artist, who'll create stuff like menus, healthbars, etc.
    • Must be an excellent artist
      • Share some example work
    • Must know their way around GUI
      • Share some example GUI work
    • Must be able to create realistic effects
      • Show an example of a realistic effect, such as water, fire, etc.
  • A character artist, who'll produce the characters and animations.
    • Must know how to do art on humans, Greek monsters, etc.
      • Show some examples of character design
    • Must know how to create realistic, fluid animations.
      • Show an animation or two
  • A world-artist, who'll make the tiles, backgrounds, etc.
    • Must have good knowledge of particles
      • Show a particle system you've designed
    • Must have knowledge of world environments
      • Show a world environment or level.
    • Preferably have been in, around, or near, Greece and surrounding areas.
    • Should have knowledge about ancient Greece.
  • A music producer
    • Must have good ears
    • Must be able to compose realistic, dramatic music
      • Show example work
  • A SFX person.
    • Should have good ears
    • Must have knowledge of how to produce, compose, and edit sound effects.
      • Show example SFX.
Submit a resume, or previous experience, or an example project of your own (may or may not be publicly published.

Pay is profit share, 1/12 of the profit to each member.

About Me:
Knowledge:
I have been coding for around 4 years, half of it in GML, the rest split between Python, C, C#, C++, Java, JavaScript.

What I want:
My brainchild, Narcissus, to be born fully as a super-fun, realistic, Action Adventure game.

My Code, Your Art, Sound, and Additional Code, Our Game
We will work together as a great team, and produce a unbelievably realistic game, which will blow away the masses.

Time:
Honestly, how the you guys want to manage your time is fine by me. The limit is that there must be a working, ready to release in alpha, game ready in 3 years or less from the beginning of 2018. Remember, what you put in is what you get out with profit share.

Funding

The funding is mostly going to be crowdfunded, but I'm willing to pitch in $2000. The game, once in development, will be posted on Kick starter, with a goal of $20,000.

Contact me at [email protected], or send me a personal message, or reply below.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

i can handle ur gui coder and combat coder, dont know what u mean by physics coder? you will use physics functions or you will want custom physics?
also do you even have anything for this game? most of your requirements look very subjective.

I can do bossfights such as fireball throwing bosses or laser beams, dashing strikes etc. I also can code GUI stuff and support the story. I've 4 years of essai writing experience and a wide view on what the game should have at least. About my GML experience, I have 2,5-3 years of coding and self-learnt English. If you are interested, I have a few problems to pre-talk about.

M

Master Maker

Thanks, I will reply in full around 6 pm. Busy with school and such... :)

Last edited:
M

Master Maker

i can handle ur gui coder and combat coder, dont know what u mean by physics coder? you will use physics functions or you will want custom physics?
also do you even have anything for this game? most of your requirements look very subjective.
I have the rough draft of the story, and am assembling this team to begin work on the actual game. I thought it would be better for me to assemble the team first, then have them work on the game, so that they will be able to code easier, do the art easier, etc. For the physics question, yes and no. I will use some of game maker's built in physics, but, since this game is top-down, some of the physics will have to be coded from scratch. For example, normal game maker studio gravity won't work, so that will have to be hard-coded, and some other functions will be edited to be more realistic. As for the requirements, I'll update them to be more specific.

M

Master Maker

I can do bossfights such as fireball throwing bosses or laser beams, dashing strikes etc. I also can code GUI stuff and support the story. I've 4 years of essai writing experience and a wide view on what the game should have at least. About my GML experience, I have 2,5-3 years of coding and self-learnt English. If you are interested, I have a few problems to pre-talk about.
Yeah, I am interested. What problems do you foresee?

M

Master Maker

OK, thanks!

Jeremy

The post just seems a bit.. off...
I think that's what @Iodinex64 means, and he's not wrong.

Part of the reason it looks ambitious is because of a lack of information.
How much time is to be devoted per team member to the project on a weekly/monthly basis?
Who does the funding for the project?
Getting the game released on all the mentioned platforms isn't going to be free;
not to mention exposure/marketing expenses.
Are there funds already available? Or are you planning on crowdfunding?

It looks like you want to create a game for the sake of impressing people,
instead of wanting to create an actual fun experience for your players.
I'm not saying this is the case, but stating your goal for the game to be:
"blowing away the public, and, hopefully, getting into the game maker showcase."
very much suggest it is.
It's not wrong to want to blow people away!
but it feels like there's no passion for the project here.

You're also promising 1/10th of the 'product share', however you define this, to each member of the team;
but you're looking to do the project with 12 people, yourself included...

I'm not trying to bash you or the project, not at all!
If you're confident in the project, by all means, go for it!
It might turn out to be a smash hit, and I'd very much like to see it become one.
It's just that this post doesn't give me enough confidence 'yet'.

- Jeremy

M

Master Maker

Thanks, Jeremy! I just updated it. I was also trying to aim at an angle that wouldn't just be passion (trust me, I've been dreaming of this project for over 2 years now, but I've mostly been stuck due to lack of artistic skills) but also logic behind joining my team.

M

Master Maker

Also, I'm planning on releasing a smaller game beforehand to raise funds for Narcissus.

YanBG

I don't get how the team would work. Will the OP be the lead/manager? Most artists would want a salary, not 1/12(the team won't go above 12 people?) from possibly unknown game/studio, for the span of 3 years. I'm sorry but this sounds completely unrealistic.

People who already tried to sell a game will tell you how difficult it is.

Smiechu

wheres this 88 page story, i dont trust people who brag alot.
I don't get how the team would work. Will the OP be the lead/manager? Most artists would want a salary, not 1/12(the team won't go above 12 people?) from possibly unknown game/studio, for the span of 3 years. I'm sorry but this sounds completely unrealistic.

Yeah it sound unrealistic... but this this is how actually most of the "classics" ware born:
A bunch of young talented people with lots of passion, relative small experience, in poor working conditions, with very low or no budget, without any warranty that the game will actually succeed, directed by some "crazy" guy with a "crazy vision"...

And this is the problem of modern game industry... everybody is thinking about the money and fame... everybody wants to be "safe"... History of gaming industry is full of examples where "big budget and super conditions" killed a great series... i.e. the Command and Conquer series... EA just killed it, one title after another...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This forum isn't intended for general discussion. That belongs in Game Design, not in a member's collaboration topic. So I removed several posts here.

If you don't agree with a member's approach, then don't respond.

M

Master Maker

I would be the lead/manager, since I have a more clear idea of what I want the finished game to look like. Yes, the team won't go above 12 people. I would want the same product outcome, but if you think it could be done sooner, team members would be free to suggest it, I just guesstimated that it would take around 3 years.