• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Working out and staying active

C

Chironyx

Hello to the game-making community!
I bet there are lots of you here who spend days locked inside the house, or at least spend hours upon hours infront of your computer working away at a project.

What do you do to keep yourselves in shape or keep your body from becoming a tired lump of meat from lack of physicality?

M

MishMash

Went full-time game-dev at the start of this summer, but have also become increasingly active :)! I do around 8-10 hours of cycling a week atm and I love it! The main thing for me is that it's a huge mental relief having multiple things to work towards. A bad week of game dev can be made up for by achieving fitness goals. It's also a complete disconnect which is fantastic! I recommend everyone give it a try, though you need a reasonable bike, as otherwise, technical issues will bog you down.. It would be like trying to play an AAA game on an integrated card, its just not fun :p!

beli_mawrr

I run for 20 minutes a day 3 times a week, and play tennis for another 30 3 times a week. That's what I do lol. I'm not in great shape, but I'm doing alright.

L

Laura

I go for a 1-2 hour walk every day of the week, and try to stay within a 1600-1800 calorie range. I've been doing so for quite a while now, and I've had a lot of positive health changes since then. The thing to keep in mind is to think of exercise and practicing a calorie-in-calorie-out plan as a lifestyle change, rather than just a temporary diet or exercise change.

A tip for being active in general though that helps me, whether it's cleaning, coding, or something else I have to do, is to tell yourself that you'll spend at least five minutes on it, and that you can stop after that if you want to. You'll find that most of the time, once you get going, you'll usually finish what you need to do, and you'll go past the five minutes.

I hope any of that helps!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I bike in summer months, and do cardio training on a Nordic Track machine during the winter. That's great for the heart and lungs. Beyond cardio, muscle training is also important. We all want to look good, right? My routine is pretty standard: pushups, pull ups, chest dips, and curls. The usual stuff for muscle tone. With a high protein and moderate carb diet.

Mrs. Chance likes the way I look. And our relationship has lots of energy. ;)

F

Forester

I find Chance's method to be super effective. I do the normal pushups, curls, lifts, squats and it keeps me feeling moderately healthy. I also try to eat proteins like eggs, red meat and nuts.
I'm not crazy serious about working out, but I do have a sit-down computer job, and I walk about 2 kilometres to work each day, which also does wonders.
100% recommend being physical. At least 1 hour of intensive work outs per day isn't hard, but has great results.

W

whitelemon

I actually attend college in my area, but I was forced to take classes at two different schools in the same system :c

One of them is a good 20 minutes bike ride away but the other one is 9.7 miles! that's 50 minutes if I don't slack off. Needless to say, my legs are built like tree trunks!