GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misu

Ill probably send a thumbnail soon. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I manage to luckily participate and made something very quickly but the ending is the only thing I was missing in the game but atleast its entirely playable. I should send an afterword though, Ill PM later with thumbnail too.

Also screenie of my game

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just for the record, there is some sort of plague of missing itch.io pages. I dunno what causes it, but whenever I try to open itch.io page the game author linked to, I get 404 errors and stuff.

If you uploaded your entry to ITCH.IO only, please reupload it somewhere else or otherwise make available

Just for the record, there is some sort of plague of missing itch.io pages. I dunno what causes it, but whenever I try to open itch.io page the game author linked to, I get 404 errors and stuff.

If you uploaded your entry to ITCH.IO only, please reupload it somewhere else or otherwise make available
Yah, I saw this too. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

M

Misu

Damn it! I just realize that one of my sprites are missplaced in the room when I run my game. I guess Ill do a post version then if its allowed

0.Bytes

Ill probably send a thumbnail soon. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I manage to luckily participate and made something very quickly but the ending is the only thing I was missing in the game but atleast its entirely playable. I should send an afterword though, Ill PM later with thumbnail too.

Also screenie of my game
It remind me of limbo =p
We had a great time developing Diverge.

We are now wondering about the future of this game. If you want to help us, please fill out this survey after when you've played the game.

Thank you in advance!

Edit:
Here's a complete walkthrough of the game! Recorded by @Iodinex64
Great gameplay, it is looking really good !

S

Snail Man

Because I was too tired to last night, here's a post saying my game has been released!

DOWNLOAD

TOPIC

Last edited by a moderator:

0.Bytes

Have you played my entry already?
Not yet, I will wait for the jam player, because it is easier to play and rate the games. If my computer helps I hope to play all the games =D

I

iMilchshake

No Hay Paz already got recognized as a virus on 2 different pc's

Vertette

I think Twowt might be the dullest game I've ever played. It was both way too slow and easy, and the music only made the whole experience worse.

0.Bytes

Some games were detected virus, obviously they were false positve =\, but nothing we should worry about, I guess

HayManMarc

@Alice - I wish you hadn't removed my entry in the 'Games Topic'. Or at least let me know you were doing so before hand. Now my devlog is lost. Now, the only record of my participation is scattered within this Discussion thread. I can glean some of the devlog posts from the 'Discussion Topic' (luckily I copy/pasted some of the entries from the Game Topic to the Discussion Topic) and drudge up the rest from memory this time, so not too big of loss.

Suggestion: since the Games Topic thread isn't an ongoing topic (it gets closed at the end of the jam, preventing more posts), I think cleaning out posts like this is unnecessary, and can possibly be taken as a rude gesture. (I'm pretty easy-going, so no hard feelings from me, but I've experienced other people taking offense to lesser things.) If you must remove these posts for some reason that I am not aware of ('Game Topic' posts from jammers who were unable to finish their jam game project), please inform the author and allow them time to save the info before it's gone.

Frankly, I think all the 'Game Topic' posts should remain, as a record of participation.

S

SSJCoder

I appreciate all your entries this jam folks, nice work on your games =D
@Barvix your game didn't work, I'm stuck in the first room with that funny dude in both versions. I try to go down, it's blocked, I try to go right/left, it's also blocked. The door is blocked, too.

Is it just me?

@Fel666 Nice graphics, simple yet elegant, and well executed

@Nocturne Great work there, probably the most well executed and polished game (tho it be simple) in this jam.

I feel like a few entries had pretty harsh SFX tho (not these included here), like some of them hurt a bit to listen to ^.^' (probably it's just me tho =P) (me and my ears, sheesh)

(ps. Barvix, I'll vote your game #1 if you will help me play it, coz I really like it)

O

Oyakiiv

hmm...I will have to hear it for myself, how bad could it be? the background music in my game was a short clip of an accordian on loop... I like polka...

D

Deleted member 467

I appreciate all your entries this jam folks, nice work on your games =D
@Barvix your game didn't work, I'm stuck in the first room with that funny dude in both versions. I try to go down, it's blocked, I try to go right/left, it's also blocked. The door is blocked, too.

Is it just me?

@Fel666 Nice graphics, simple yet elegant, and well executed

@Nocturne Great work there, probably the most well executed and polished game (tho it be simple) in this jam.

I feel like a few entries had pretty harsh SFX tho (not these included here), like some of them hurt a bit to listen to ^.^' (probably it's just me tho =P) (me and my ears, sheesh)

(ps. Barvix, I'll vote your game #1 if you will help me play it, coz I really like it)
You have to press "Z" on the stone with plus/minus symbol on it to pick it up, which allows you to progress.

I thought I'd throw out my own clarification.

In The Coin of Janus, you attack stuff, open chests, and break walls, the same way you move. If you try to move into a space that is occupied, you'll interact with it. You deal damage to enemies based on the attack power of the selected weapon at the top. Left click will select a slot. The stats are shown on the left.

I thought that if I explained how to move in-game, people could figure it out by experimentation (I hate to include a long tutorial or something). But a few people have expressed being confused, so I stand corrected. :)

TehPilot

My sfxr/bfxr is a little rusty, apologies if my game's on the shortlist for harsh sounds (I did intend for some of them to be a little bit rougher/dirtier).

I also saw one of the first reviews for my game noted an error. It's one I deem difficult to accidentally reproduce in normal circumstances (you need to enter a teleporter at or shortly before the coin makes contact with a surface), but just to make sure I quickly fixed it. If people keep running into that issue, I'll post the fixed build or send it to folks who want to go further in their playthrough/review of the game.

ghandpivot

Oh, it's over already.
Cheers for the jam and congrats to everyone who published a game, I'll go ahead and do video reviews when I find the time. Uni just started so it'll be a rough first week though.

Second, I don't know why the balls turn red, but when they are red and enter the goal they seem to take away my combo bonus
The balls activate and turn red when you touch them or when an activated ball collides with another ball. The only way to score and the only way to get combo is to get activated balls into the goals.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@HayManMarc I do the cleanup so that I can then easily compare the number of replies with the number of entries downloaded; it's just another failsafe to make sure no entry gets omitted. If I kept the devlog entries without actual games made, the count would be mismatched, and I'd need to make an extra run through the topic to make sure no entry escaped my attention. Also, Games Topic cleanup has never been a problem until now, I think.

At the same time, the posts with some more content than "reserved" , "deleted" etc. were hidden instead of permanently deleted, so I can bring them back (temporarily or not) if needed. The question is, would other people want to have the Games topic with unfinished entries, or would it be too messy (especially if they were to rate "Best Devlog" and stumbled upon a very good devlog, but without a finished game to back it up)? I'm open to either option.

I just hope everyone agrees that there's no reason to keep "reserved" Games Topic post around? ^^'

M

Misu

For those who are going to play my game but will not use the MEGA file download, please be aware that the game topic post us using a different versrion that is not the same one used in the MEGA file zip. I highly suggest to use this one instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1npsui9vua40qq/GMCJam5.zip?dl=0

Also I made a wlakthrough video for it since some people just didnt know what to do

PS: There is a terrible bug when you die from falling off the first cliff... so I highly suggest you avoid that please.

M

Misty

Sorry but, his Pong game has a game breaking bug where the ball falls through the paddle, making it unpolished, and unsuitable for competitive couch multiplayer.

I like Nocturne as a person, and I wish him to win on future game-jams, but Please for the love of gaming, do not let Pong. win this game jam. I mean, its almost the same as the original Pong from 1972. I have no faith in humanity to begin with, but I will lose all faith in humanity if Pong. wins.

D

DocNogloff

Thanks for the quick reviews guys! It looks like Coded Games found a bug where the game crashes, I'll have to look into that.
If anyone just can't figure out how the game is supposed to work, I have a video on my Games topic post showing a level being completed. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Also, I haven't been jamming here since new-forum jam 1. Has the number of entries been like this for a while? Because I remember jams with upwards of 60 or 70 entries, honestly this one's turnout is a tiny bit underwhelming. Maybe the theme is a little hard?

HayManMarc

Thanks for the quick reviews guys! It looks like Coded Games found a bug where the game crashes, I'll have to look into that.
If anyone just can't figure out how the game is supposed to work, I have a video on my Games topic post showing a level being completed. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Also, I haven't been jamming here since new-forum jam 1. Has the number of entries been like this for a while? Because I remember jams with upwards of 60 or 70 entries, honestly this one's turnout is a tiny bit underwhelming. Maybe the theme is a little hard?
I think it's just a down trend. A lot of previous jammers have moved away from jamming. But we'll be picking up new jammers, as more newbies get comfy with coding. Rest assured. :)

Last edited:
O

Oyakiiv

@Coded Games says my game wouldnt start.

is anyone else having this problem? if so then what exactly is happening? if you are stuck on the title screen, just click start, otherwise I have no solution...

P.S. there is a bug in my game on the credits screen where the top-left section of the game screen doesnt accept left-click for some reason, it's really weird since it was just suppose to check for the button press, not a specific location...

TehPilot

Nice meme
Most of the GMC Jams from the old GMC were around 40 entrants, if my memory serves me correctly. The new forum and renewed interest in the event that came with it probably contributed to the perfect storm that was 81 entrants for New Jam #1. I agree this turnout was a little underwhelming; it's also around the time summer vacation ends for some folks. I managed to finish my entry the night before classes start, were it not for a schedule change and some extreme motivation I wouldn't have entered myself...

TehPilot

Hey guys. I got some other reports outside the GMC that the coin bug was much more easily reproducible and more likely to occur. I've made new builds that should knock those out, if folks are so inclined.

Standalone executable | ZIP archive

Apologies for the inconvenience!

M

Misu

My game uses a shader and as those can fail to work on some computers (@Coded Games apparently had that issue) here is a shader free version of my game! Play the original if you can as this recreation of the light engine isn't as good. If you can't play the original version, please consider this one. :)
I might as well do that too although the shader is necesary in my case because it is for to smoothen out some teared out linear effects in the game

Actually I cant because Its using another shader for the colour inverting and that is definitely necesary for the game :/

ghandpivot

So far I've run into 7 game ending errors in 7 different games. I'm on a streak.
I've recorded 50 minutes and played through 20ish games, so it'll be quick first impressions this time around unless it's something that catches my attention for real.

Oh, and I'm interested by how hard people seem to find my game to be. Looking at the hidden global highscores that store every players score and playtime on every attempt (including the players who are not on this forum) it's clear that:
1. 40% don't play it more than twice.
2. only 40% have passed even the very first wave which only lasts for 20 seconds.
3. 25% of people don't publish their highscores, nor open the highscores table.

While looking at the reviews it seems that:
1. Highlighting balls in red when touching them wasn't enough feedback to make the player aware of what their objective is.
2. Making the field a circle with things trying to push you out of the circle didn't necessarily make the player understand what would make them lose (with so far 10% of players quitting before scoring even 5 goals).
3. The game isn't addictive enough.

Conclusion:
Adding A LOT of statistics and counters for my jam projects is by far the best way for me to learn anything from the jams. I like when games show you how to play by just dropping you into it with no real death punishment (at least for starters), but clearly that doesn't work in a jam format where people don't have the time to play the game more than the median of 1 minute and 40 seconds.

I'll take these things into account when making my next jam entry and I think I've had a successful jam this time around. These stats will all change a bit when more people play the game, but it's about 40 people so far so I'd say they're interesting already.
Edit: did a quick edit to account for a bunch of new players.

Last edited:
F

Freedom2Fight

I apologize if my entry is being detected as a virus. My last entry for the last jam was also a single runtime executable and didn't have this problem. I posted about this a while back at the Community Tech Support. (Here)

While I'm sure its a false positive - if you don't feel safe, don't run it.

I am truly sorry for any distress or inconvenience I may have caused.

Coded Games

Hey guys, I just wanted to fill in a bit of possible confusion. Every game that I commented "The game wouldn't start" it did exactly that. I double clicked the exe, my mouse changed to the "loading icon," I waited a couple minutes and nothing happened. No error messages, the game simply wouldn't open. I remember having this problem with standalone exe's since the beginning of GMS so I really have no idea why it happens.

Dr. Wolf

Hey guys, I just wanted to fill in a bit of possible confusion. Every game that I commented "The game wouldn't start" it did exactly that. I double clicked the exe, my mouse changed to the "loading icon," I waited a couple minutes and nothing happened. No error messages, the game simply wouldn't open. I remember having this problem with standalone exe's since the beginning of GMS so I really have no idea why it happens.
Antivirus blocking maybe?

W

Wraithious

@Coded Games says my game wouldnt start.

is anyone else having this problem? if so then what exactly is happening? if you are stuck on the title screen, just click start, otherwise I have no solution...

P.S. there is a bug in my game on the credits screen where the top-left section of the game screen doesnt accept left-click for some reason, it's really weird since it was just suppose to check for the button press, not a specific location...
He said that about my game and like 4 others games too, sounds like his comp just needed to be restarted, that worked for me in cases like that.

----------

So seeing once again the voters "have no idea what to do in my game" (Here's a thought, why don't you read the README_PLEASE file like you're supposed to, or maybe click the about button in the start screen menu, or maybe click the info button in the in game menu screen, or how about click the check list button in the in game menu, or even how about listen to what the npc's are saying because they are dead giveaway hints on what you should be doing) but hey, if ALLLL that fails I'm streaming gameplay of my game on twitch starting in a few minutes. But if that too fails maybe you shouldn't be voting on any of these games in the first place lol

Streaming done, above link for both parts, or the second part I put up on youtube:

Status
Not open for further replies.