GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iMilchshake

Im in! My game will probably look like 💩💩💩💩, but my main goal is to have no major bugs in it :)
Good luck to everyone!

Okay. I will probably only have between 4 and 6 hours to work on a jam game. Today I'm going to try to get some general code organized together from my other projects and see if I can throw something together according to the theme before the jam ends. Specifically, I may try using my terrain generation scripts from Valley of Charon to make a rougelike dungeon game. I don't usually like to use very much pre-made code or assets, but I won't be able to submit anything otherwise.

JacobV

If the theme is "two sides of the same coin", I really have no idea how to turn that into a game mechanic. I might just join a team with someone as artist.

O

Oyakiiv

I'm going to try to work together with my wife on this one, we have already started brainstorming. She doesnt know anything about GM though so she is on concept art, sound FX and idea duty while I'm at work.

HayManMarc

If the theme is "two sides of the same coin", I really have no idea how to turn that into a game mechanic. I might just join a team with someone as artist.
Look at it this way: a coin is a single thing. However, it's different (some would say opposite) on each side. So that would be one thing with two opposing features. Or similar. Like a character that adores kittens but is a violent fighter.

All that said, it's probably not even the theme. Lol

ONE DAY LEFT! HYPE!!!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, "Two sides of the same coin" is kind of like having a main side...
...and a flipside?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The saying usually refers to a good and a bad thing having a similar cause because they're related, in a way that makes them impossible to separate... which means you'll have to accept that there's side effects to the good thing... and often also in a sense that what is bad or good is subjective. And in the general sense, it can refer to two things that appear to be very different but really are the same if you dig deeper.

Also don't mix it up with Moonside.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
No, no, no, you're getting it wrong.

I'm actually making a reference to really old Jam entry, which used that video in the game, available here.

I even linked to it back then, when people were wondering where it comes from.

Whether it's a correct theme or not has nothing to do with it. I just saw the opportunity to bring up the "flipside".

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Meh, for some reason I was expecting a game from the FIRST GMC Jam, which had a pancake theme. Those sure have flip sides :p

If "coins" is the theme, one idea that comes to mind is having the game world consist of two worlds, say a dark side and a light side, and changes in the dark side of the world affect the light side and vice-versa.

Might make for some possibly interesting puzzles...not sure...

In fact, I'm sure I've seen games such as this before.

Or - how for one country a person is a terrorist, for another country that person is a freedom fighter. *not condoning acts of terrorism in any way*

S

SSJCoder

Put on your armour, gird ye your weapons, this jam will fall upon us like a furious storm! Let's all be shaken by the mighty whirlwind ! :confused::cool::eek::confused::cool::eek::confused::cool::eek: spin around, and around, and around! xD

HYPE OP

0.Bytes

I am too busy, but I might be able to help someone with the music, depending on what someone might need, I can make a song and some sfx. If anyone wants to team up send me a inbox

I think that the jam's theme can be used like people said as a happy/sad world, or something like that. But I also think that the theme could be used as one thing that has 2 different uses, a weapon that can be used as a key, or a power that if you use too much kill the enemy or if dont use too much you can make the enemy stronger, something like these lol

W

Wraithious

Wrll I didn't think I'd do this jam due to an innocentive challenge that was due sept 10th, but somehow I managed to finish it today, and the second reason, I'll be honest, last jam a guy who spent 3 hours on a potato and a toilet paper roll beat out my 64 solid hours of making a game that was playable and didnt crash. So I'm in!

G

GhostlyFeline

Have work tomorrow and Saturday, but gonna try to make some time to jam this weekend. Probably won't do anything too ambitious, but it will be fun though.

M

Misu

Several hours away from the jam to begin and this thread finally became super active. Interesting...

S

Snail Man

I'm excited! I have a idea versitile enough to work with most themes, and some actual free time! My goal this time is to prototype the idea and polish it as much as possible for possible later expansion.

T

Trap85

If I download the Game Maker 2 free trial license with WINDOWS TEST ONLY, am I still able to participate?

S

SSJCoder

If I download the Game Maker 2 free trial license with WINDOWS TEST ONLY, am I still able to participate?
lmao I don't think that will work, unless you ask a moderator to compile it for you =)

Z

zircher

Meh, for some reason I was expecting a game from the FIRST GMC Jam, which had a pancake theme. Those sure have flip sides :p
Bonus points for anyone that makes a pancake art game where you can't see the results until you flip it over.

Nallebeorn

Not really in a jam mood this time, so I'll probably just make something really quick and simple this time even though I have time to work all three days.

The M

I do have an idea but it's really ambitious (probably way too much so) for the time frame. Still gonna do it though since I can't come up with anything better. :)

I have almost all of today only to work on my jam game.

If anybody is interested in doing art, sound, music for me, PM me in the next couple of hours. For people I've worked with before, I'd be willing to send the project file itself for someone to work on or add content during Saturday and Sunday.

Eh. I'm just going literal. You're searching for the Coin of Janus in my game. It's a coin with two sides.

It'll be a little more in depth than that though, don't worry. :)

0.Bytes

Hard theme ! I think that the secret is to not be to literal with the jam's theme =p otherwise we will not have that much to do xD

Maybe I will be able to make a music for a game, if anyone wants to team up send me a pm

And good luck to everyone =D

G

GVmG

ooh, interesting, can't wait to start.

meaning, I'm not starting immediately. I currently feel very sick and I can't do anything in this condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.