• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Depression Thread

M

Misu

After so much aweful momentums in our lives that continue to haunt us everyday and also our terrible feelings that we receive after countless hours of stress, hard work, and struggle just to realize we failed to become who we are...

Dont feel bad... every single one of us are like this.... and it takes some talk thru to realize that we are not alone and these moments are bound to happen anyway...

This thread is for discussing those moments that you had and have some friendly words, consolations, and advice from others to make you feel better from those negative thoughts or bad experiences that we encountered. Let our depression go and let us move on.

M

MikeDark_x

After so much aweful momentums in our lives that continue to haunt us everyday and also our terrible feelings that we receive after countless hours of stress, hard work, and struggle just to realize we failed to become who we are...
every single one of us are like this....

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I really like this song. Much different message than most songs about depression, but I think she understands it all perfectly.

D

Dyrran

I highly recommend to don't help too much to other people and charge yourself with a lot of work, because I experimented that; people obsessively wants to receive your help because they are common with it. So, learn to say NO, well, not directly, just a "later", "I can't for now" and etc.

Note: Not applies for your family, the family is first:)

D

Dyrran

I'm not saying that you must not help, you can. Oh, better said, that's up to you:)

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Does depression come from your daily life, the stress and hardship you're going through or perhaps doing things you don't like but have to? Or does it come from malnutrition, sleeplessness, not getting enough sun etc etc?

I think both are almost equally important to take care of, but your body and diet is the most important one to take care of! As for the latter, definitely get some sun because this can be very mood lifting and benefits your body (especially in colder countries with little sun shining through).

I think knowing yourself deeply, your body and diet, your mentality and personality, can help fight the depression.

Even if you're the most introvert person, someone always needs a companion. Certainly don't push away people because they think you're weird or something. It's always like that with people, it's the process to socializing&friendship - get laught at - stand up for yourself - become friends!

And always talk to people (not only if you're depressed) because it's a release you need, it's in your genes it's the way people are!

Hope this helps and other people fill in on this further and create a helpfull thread for those who are in need!

M

Misty

Can't get over the fact that sometimes I am too much of a scaredy cat to get over the fear of talking to strangers, I'll see someone interesting, but I get too scared to talk to them, afraid they will hate me, so I don't.

Then I go home and think about what a coward I am, and how my life is ruined, and their life is ruined, because they could have had a crummy life, and I could have brought them happiness, but now I will never see them for the rest of my life, and they will go to the grave miserable and alone, without me, missing out on the happiness we will never get to share.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
Here's the thing - it's good to talk about it, and I'm glad that this community can be mature about this sort of thing and try to help - but if you feel genuinely depressed, seek professional help. There's absolutely no shame in that, and it could improve your life dramatically.

S

seanm

Also, most people seem to be missing the fact that clinical depression is not about external factors; it's about your brain.

You can think about it like this.

Everyone has a cup.

Everything you do, and experience, throughout the day, fills up your cup; little by little.
When your cup is full, you can't handle anything anymore. You have no more capacity to care about things, or exert effort.
You just need some sleep so you can empty out your cup.

When someone dies, or some other major stress is introduced, its like holding your cup under a waterfall. Yes you are depressed, but not clinically depressed. There are external factors you can address to get your mental state back under control.

Someone with clinical depression has a smaller cup than normal, and so everyday life affects them more than usual. Medicine or therapy can increase the size of your cup, and slow down the rate at which your cup is filled.

No matter how good you are doing, and for how long a time, you have a smaller cup than you should. You can't really fix this on your own.

Clinical depression isn't about being stressed, or having a bad day. It's about having a garbage brain that hates you.

Last edited:
M

Misty

Here's the thing - it's good to talk about it, and I'm glad that this community can be mature about this sort of thing and try to help - but if you feel genuinely depressed, seek professional help. There's absolutely no shame in that, and it could improve your life dramatically.
Been getting professional help for over 15 years, yet each day I'm getting crazier and crazier.

Also, most people seem to be missing the fact that clinical depression is not about external factors; it's about your brain.
I would say it's a chemical and philosophical imbalance. Ignorance is bliss...in my younger years I was fine not talking to strangers, because I was ignorant of the truth. The truth is, you will never see them again for the rest of your life, and both of you will be alone from each other till they day you die.

Everything you do, and experience, throughout the day, fills up your cup; little by little.
When your cup is full, you can't handle anything anymore. You have no more capacity to care about things, or exert effort.
You just need some sleep so you can empty out your cup.
Some times not sleeping makes me feel less crazy. Online they list (not sleeping) as a technique to combat depression.
Sleep doesn't really help with my sanity, except when I'm asleep I don't think about daily worries as much. But as soon as I get up, the regret from yesterday hits me, and I realize what a fool I was to make such mistakes I can never repair. Also a fool because I should be a millionaire, but I'm not because I can't focus and I'm afraid of going outside. Then I dwindle on the fact that I'm not a millionaire, and Im in an ever deepening pit of poverty forever, then I dwindle on the fact that time is running out, and if I dont find my sanity soon, the exploit that I can use to be a millionarre, is gonna run out if I don't hurry, then I think about how using an exploit to gain money isn't really earning it, then I think it doesn't really matter, got one life to live might as well get the money by any means since the exploit is legal, then I think about all of my past mistakes and regrets that have nothing to do with being a millionarre, but more to do with social scenarios and opportunities that I utterly failed at.

Clinical depression isn't about being stressed, or having a bad day. It's about having a garbage brain that hates you.
Speak for yourself. My brain isn't garbage, but at times yes it does feel like it hates me.

Last edited: