i cant draw worth a damn(-_-')

C

CaptnCoochie

YOOO, I been making my first game and from the very beginning i realize my drawings are amateury and looks lame. luckily my first game is a asteroid game so really a simple space background is all i need. In the game making community is using royalty already made sprites frowned upon? Am i like Carrot Top improve comedy of the game making world?

Sk8dududu

YOOO, I been making my first game and from the very beginning i realize my drawings are amateury and looks lame. luckily my first game is a asteroid game so really a simple space background is all i need. In the game making community is using royalty already made sprites frowned upon? Am i like Carrot Top improve comedy of the game making world?
I think it really depends on what you plan on doing with the finished product.

C

CaptnCoochie

well im not trying to put it on market or anything. really just learning how to program and maybe put it on a browser free to play

Niels

as long as you don't sell it or publish it, you can use whatever licensed sprites you want.
Of course there are quite a few sites to get royalty free sprites from these days, so that might be the best option

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You won't get good at drawing unless you practice, so I'd recommend drawing everything for all of your games even if you think it looks bad.. at least everything will have the same style that way, and that makes the overall game look better even if the individual resources don't look super-nice. Practicing drawing won't change your style, it'll just increase your output's quality~

Obligatory progress screenshot:
upload_2017-8-18_19-43-1.png

If its for your own purposes, do it, use the premade art.

Ready made art is frowned upon yes, but depending on the art pack people can't tell they're ready made. I buy art packs and make games with them to improve my engines without wasting time on art. If the games have an undesirable style, no one would play it to test it. In small game jams I see art packs in the winning games and they're praised for their art by people that have no idea they used an art pack. It feels like an unfair advantage especially if no credit is given (and if credit is given who looks at the credits anyway).

I've been at pixel art for 15 months. People tell me I'm good, but I'm not as good as I want to be. If you want to get good at art or anything for that matter, force yourself to do it 2 hours a day. Block everything else out and just art. I've also discovered that great colors can make up for lack of detail or talent.

A few people have told me over the past year my games would look like they're worth more money and sell more copies if I went to digital painting rather than pixel art.

RangerX

Developing your pixel art or general graphic aptitude is just that --> practice and dedication.
Now its all about if you WANT to actually improve.

T

teamrocketboyz

personally i would try to work on your drawing, its a great feeling knowing that your assets are yours. Im just starting out too and my first game is an asteroid game too. check it out if you want. (not sure if i can post a youtube video of it here)

L

LlamaTemplar

I was like that when I started, I remade all of the assets I thought looked bad and they always turned out better.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
identify what is exactly wrong with your art (colour, anatomy, size, shading, etc...), then try improve on that concept. Rinse and repeat.
I went from this to this (no arms because lazy aa).

RangerX

identify what is exactly wrong with your art (colour, anatomy, size, shading, etc...), then try improve on that concept. Rinse and repeat.
I went from this to this (no arms because lazy aa).
What I see there though is 2 excellent and pro looking sprites. They just of different art styles.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What I see there though is 2 excellent and pro looking sprites. They just of different art styles.
Thanks, but the first one is far from "excellent":
The lighting I tried in the first was bad (appears to be from right to left on the torso, but on the hair it appears from the front).
The anatomy was really bad (torso was way too long, head is way too big, and legs were way too short).
The whole style looks too complex with the needless details (too many shades/colours).
The sprite doesn't feel very fluid; she looks like a robot.

Geoff Jones

Yeah practice, as @Yal said. You will be surprised how fast you improve with even a little bit of practice. I nearly gave up on the idea of painting my own character portraits after my first attempt on the left.
difference.png

Reactions: Yal
A

ajan-ko

I think it's matter of practice.

I think limiting game color pallete also helps alot.

Even a simple sprite as long as your color pallete right, even it just silly things with expression, it will look cool.

Another thing is, I think soundtrack is more important than grapics, because people react faster to sound, rather eyes.