• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion SOLVED Is "save as" sufficient as a backup?

M

Mobie

Does "save as" save everything you need to restore a game should something happen to your computer? I know it will not save the GameMaker application, but will it save all other relevant files for your game?

I make a system image on an external hard drive every month or so. But I "save as" to a thumb drive multiple times a day. Is that sufficient for never losing my work?

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Check the thumb drive and see if the relevant files are there. I think there's a way to export a single backup file that isn't simply doing save-as though.

W

Wayfarer

I do backups using a batch file. Here's a basic version:

1. Put the following into Notepad:
    Code:
    @ECHO
    robocopy "C:\copyfromhere" "D:\tohere" /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T /E /R:5 /W:1 /NP
  2. Edit "C:\copyfromhere" and "D:\tohere" (for example: "C:\GM\yourgame" "D:\Backup\yourgame")
  3. Save it as "something.bat" to somewhere easily accessible (or you can make a shortcut etc)

Make sure you enter the correct values for "C:\copyfromhere" and "D:\tohere"... I don't want to be blamed if you copy over something :p

When I use it, I've made a program that automatically dates backups, but if you're only concerned about a single folder this'd work.

C

Claire

Save as should make a complete copy of your project, so this method would work, or the export menu option will create a .YYZ file which is a compressed but also complete copy of your project. However I would suggest looking into source control such as git as this is a better method of keeping project history than manual backups.

M

Mobie

Save as should make a complete copy of your project, so this method would work, or the export menu option will create a .YYZ file which is a compressed but also complete copy of your project. However I would suggest looking into source control such as git as this is a better method of keeping project history than manual backups.
Check the thumb drive and see if the relevant files are there. I think there's a way to export a single backup file that isn't simply doing save-as though.
I do backups using a batch file. Here's a basic version:

1. Put the following into Notepad:
    Code:
    @ECHO
    robocopy "C:\copyfromhere" "D:\tohere" /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T /E /R:5 /W:1 /NP
  2. Edit "C:\copyfromhere" and "D:\tohere" (for example: "C:\GM\yourgame" "D:\Backup\yourgame")
  3. Save it as "something.bat" to somewhere easily accessible (or you can make a shortcut etc)

Make sure you enter the correct values for "C:\copyfromhere" and "D:\tohere"... I don't want to be blamed if you copy over something :p

When I use it, I've made a program that automatically dates backups, but if you're only concerned about a single folder this'd work.
Thank you all very much.