• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Realistic Party Goers

Z

Zmanblue

I'm building a a game in which a player needs to hunt down another player in a crowded party. I'm having trouble creating realistic party goers that don't completely look like robots and so the player hiding is always very obvious. Any suggestions on how to create a lively party atmosphere that a player would be able to blend into? keeping in mind that the player is using an analog stick to move around

M

Monsi

The laziest approach I can think of would be to play as a party goer yourself and record x/y positions. If you do this enough, you'll have a collection of not-robotic "paths" that your a.i. can follow and hopefully help your players blend into.

A more involved approach would be to examine how humans move a player around, and copy those techniques into your a.i. Quick direction changes, pausing, not being entirely accurate, moving somewhat predictably (for example, having a clear goal rather than just aimlessly moving to new positions constantly).

You could even get your a.i. to mimic the current player, perhaps by copying sections of their paths at different positions for example.