• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL GameMaker: Studio 1.4 - Humble (Re)Bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogwater

As someone who just recently got back into GM and bought Studio 2 (with a free 1.4), this bundle is pretty rad. $15 for mobile exports means I can actually consider using them.

Now onto the problem of needing a mac to publish on IOS and not having an Android phone.

Qual

So... Some of us buyed them at full price... just to learn that ,"HI GM2 is there, please rebuy all for XXX$ ! Youhou"
then they give away for free stuff we buyed $299 when they said "don't worry they'll not be in sale blabla"

How the **** can I trust a company like that when purchasing a product that cost hundreds of dollars ?

hippyman

So... Some of us buyed them at full price... just to learn that ,"HI GM2 is there, please rebuy all for XXX$ ! Youhou"
then they give away for free stuff we buyed $299 when they said "don't worry they'll not be in sale blabla"

How the **** can I trust a company like that when purchasing a product that cost hundreds of dollars ?
LOL

Z

zendraw

its business, dont get personal about it. business changes with time.

hippyman

Care to elaborate?
While I could sort of see the point of what Qual was saying, I thought the way he went on about it gave me a good chuckle. I also didn't know YYG said they were done selling 1.x and then made this bundle.

G

I also didn't know YYG said they were done selling 1.x and then made this bundle.
YYG said:
While 1.x will continue to receive support and patches to ensure that all platforms can be reached, and while any major bugs will still be fixed, this is planned to be the last release for 1.x that includes new or additional features in order to start devoting our energy towards GameMaker Studio 2.

Therefore, when we launch GameMaker Studio 2 (Q1, 2017), we will be taking GameMaker: Studio 1.x off sale from that point, and will instead bundle GameMaker: Studio 1.x Professional with purchases of GMS2 products.

Only 1.x Studio Professional will be bundled, there will be no further way to purchase export modules for Studio 1.x after that point and we will no longer be distributing new free licenses for GameMaker: Studio Standard.
At: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/401/the-future-of-gamemaker-studio-1-x

Extending the upgrade program:

hippyman

Oh I forgot about that. I still think people are making a bigger deal than it really is. Sure, YYG isn't the most consistent, but the dudes have to make money somehow! Otherwise your precious GMS 1.x, 2.x, whatever.x will be gone forever when PlayTech dissolves YYG.

I'm personally kind of peeved at all these newcomers showing up and screaming about how they spent hundreds of dollars on different modules and blah blah blah when in reality they should have purchased the desktop export (only $99) because they probably don't even know how to make a game yet or even how to use the software. It's just people getting upset because the stars didn't align with the moon and they didn't get the best deal possible. Also a little news flash to those people... you still would have spent hundreds of dollars, had you gone the HB route and got the discounts.

G

You're missing the point. My learning time is more valuable than dollars. I thought YYG had decided to focus on developing GMS2 and move on from its amateur image. This move promises another year where their internal support will be bogged down by a flood of new, non-paying users, and the community (which is GMS's most valuable asset by far) will remain stuck in 1.4 with another generation of users who expect to click together their games. Worse, it signals YYG's own belief that their new product and strategy are failing. Thus, the future usefulness of time invested in this tool is in question. YYG is erratic, which is the kiss of death for any business.

So, the heartburn you're seeing just begins with getting screwed on price. The real regret is deciding to invest months in learning GMS2 rather than another tool by a stable company (or entrenched open source collective), that I could be confident would receive the developers' focus and be around in a couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LocalNerdMe

Hey guys! I saw GMS2 on humble bundle and couldnt pass it up. ATM I'm going through various courses of C# for Unity, but there was no way i was passing up GMS2 for like 5 bucks. So far it seems REAAALLLY versatile, but I was curious how well the drag and drop does? From my understanding you can essentially build the skeleton of your game with drag and drop, then if you need to go deeper you can actually edit the code within the drag and drop? The code also seems pretty familiar as well, I will just have to learn the terminology and logic. Glad to see the community is booming as well, and hope I get to participate in the future of some things I may make to the side while I work on C# :)

anyone out here SOLEY use GMS2, and make a living? I know of some of the steam titles out there that did well.

J

joakimFF

Hey guys! I saw GMS2 on humble bundle and couldnt pass it up. ATM I'm going through various courses of C# for Unity, but there was no way i was passing up GMS2 for like 5 bucks. So far it seems REAAALLLY versatile, but I was curious how well the drag and drop does? From my understanding you can essentially build the skeleton of your game with drag and drop, then if you need to go deeper you can actually edit the code within the drag and drop? The code also seems pretty familiar as well, I will just have to learn the terminology and logic. Glad to see the community is booming as well, and hope I get to participate in the future of some things I may make to the side while I work on C# :)

anyone out here SOLEY use GMS2, and make a living? I know of some of the steam titles out there that did well.
isn't the Humble Bundle for GMS:1.4?

Cant speak for the drag & drop as we only use GML.

While our last game is developed in GMS:1.4 our next one that is in development use GMS: 2, We work full time and make a living out of it. Though we are far from rich so noodles are often on the menu....

L

LocalNerdMe

OOOO, awesome. Atleast you are out there putting out pieces of yourself. I work full time at a place, i make okay money but even so i still eat noodles - sometimes i get lucky and toss veggies in them.

To try and get out of my current field, what ive done is put together a team thats fully fresh. We meet once a week in a class room environment, i create homework, and we use various tools like SoloLearn, Udemy, Plurasight, and watch/read as a group to learn as a team. Its been really interesting so far. I saw GMS on a whim, and this is something I will try on my own to compare it, to see if we make a switch later down the road.

It is GMS2, and not 1.4. It also came with the android and other modules :) which was pretttty rad. Im going to snoop your profile now and look at your makes! If they arent on there, you should PM me or post them here. Im curious!

H

HW.

it is not GMS2. It is a RE bundle of 1.4

Hey,

We have teamed up with Humble Bundle yet again for some cool deals and offers.

This is a re-bundle and is for GameMaker Studio 1.4

https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-rebundle

Any questions or discussions about this promotion, please leave them here.

Lee.
Please see : Announcement
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?forums/announcements.7/

However if you buy this, then you can upgrade to GMS2 with discount later till 31Agt.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder

First of all: yeah, I can confirm it's GMS1... GMS2 is so new there's no way they'd practically give it away :p GMS1 is more stable at the moment, though... GMS2 practically still is in beta.

Drag-and-drop basically is "babby's first code languwage", especially in GMS1... it's easier to keep track of if you're not used to coding, since everything has really explanatory names and icons and stuff, but it's functionally exactly the same as single lines of code. If you've already coded in Unity and other tools, I'm pretty sure you're better off going straight for GML code actions and scripts... they're faster to edit and much easier to share between team members or on the forum since you can just copypaste it as plaintext.

However, GM still has a lot of nice learning abstractions... for instance, GM objects are intended to be stuff like coins, platforms, and enemies, compared to 'pure' programming languages where they are collections of variables and functions. It's very easy to start prototyping stuff in GM since it comes with graphics and level editors, too. Especially mouse-controlled games are incredibly simple to make since there's a "mouse click" event that takes an object instacne's sprite into account checking whether you clicked on it or not, perfect for things like menu buttons.

As for stuff I've made... I mostly make engines/frameworks, that is, GM projects with lots of resources and functionality added to allow for quickly getting a game started. Probably not what you're looking for if you want to actually learn GM from the ground up, but you can find them on my itchio page if you're interested: http://yaru.itch.io/
(I try to keep everything well commented and such, though, so hopefully they have some merit as a learning resource...)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Worse, it signals YYG's own belief that their new product and strategy are failing. Thus, the future usefulness of time invested in this tool is in question. YYG is erratic, which is the kiss of death for any business.
Or perhaps... it's a way for folk to get GMS2 a little cheaper as it's valid for the upgrade..... if they like the general idea of the way to tool works, then it is a cheaper way to get the various bits of GMS2.

It is GMS2, and not 1.4. It also came with the android and other modules :) which was pretttty rad. Im going to snoop your profile now and look at your makes! If they arent on there, you should PM me or post them here. Im curious!
This is 1.x only, not GMS2. But you can use it to upgrade to GMS2 for now.....

The sun setting of 1.x is still also going ahead next year, and while desktop will probably work for a while (since windows is pretty backwards compatible), other targets will stop working. So using this to quickly try then upgrade to GMS2 cheaply is a good idea...

JackTurbo

Well I for one am stoked about this bundle. I came to GMS from the previous bundle and now I've encouraged a couple of friends to give it a go too, who probably wouldnt have bothered otherwise.

R

RobbSnow

I've thought about this. I won't begrudge anyone who's able to have fun with 1.x cheaply, although there's certainly a **** you aspect to everyone who bought GMS2 at full price, particularly the $400 modules---assured that it was not an artificial placeholder price in between fire sales---just to see YYG apparently reevaluate the worth of the software and put it on a convoluted 40% off sale a couple months later.

But this decision is also unsettling. It goes to trust in YYG's stability.

First, it is a flat contradiction to two things that YYG previously said: that GMS1 and its modules would no longer be available or sold, and that the strategy of giving away software in the hope of future paid adoption had put them on the path to nonviability as a company.

Second, it makes no sense, or no sense in any way that is reassuring. If YYG was correct before that giving away GMS1 was driving them into the ground, then apparently they've decided to double down on a failed business strategy. Of course not, right? So we're left to guess at some other reason for the reversal. Is this an attempt to hook people into projects that will require an upgrade to be published/updated in a year? That seems like a recipe for angry people. And it suggests a lack of faith in GMS2's ability to sell itself over its inferior and soon to be deprecated predecessor. Or is it a way to offer GMS2 at a 40% discount a few months after its release without having to own that fact to internal accountants or the public? This also suggests a lack of faith in GMS2's ability to sell itself at what was presented as a fair price. Or does GMS2 simply need cash, any amount, quickly, to boost their internal standing in Playtech or for some other reason, regardless of prior statements, damage to the image, and future backlash?

So while it's great that many people are able to get free software, those who have invested in GM over other tools, believing that the future would bear out that investment, are left unsettled. YYG's image as a company that cannot decide what it wants to be or how to get there, under ownership by a definitionally rapacious gambling company, has not been improved.
It is not really selling it. This is charity. You can pay any amount starting at $1 and have all the money go to the charity or even a different charity if you like. The only part of Humble Bundle where things are sold is the store. All the bundles are donations.

sylvain_l

All the bundles are donations.
nope. As far I'm aware, benefit goes to charity, devs and HB (for example in this rebundle by default if I put $1: $0.65 goes YYG, $0.15 charity, $0.20 HB that only 15% donation to charity) most of time you can freely customise which amount goes where but by default it's not full charity at all

R

RobbSnow

nope. As far I'm aware, benefit goes to charity, devs and HB (for example in this rebundle by default if I put $1: $0.65 goes YYG, $0.15 charity, $0.20 HB that only 15% donation to charity) most of time you can freely customise which amount goes where but by default it's not full charity at all
Those sliders are not hidden at all. With almost no effort you can have 100% of whatever you are donating go to the charity. And even if it is not a full charity as you call it, it is still charity. Do you really thing that 100% of the money you donate to organizations. I don't want to call any of them out by name but it is not anywhere close to 100%. In fact, for the large charity that I help with their yearly campaign, the money that actually reaches the smaller charities that do reach people is less than the default you used in your example.

Not trying to argue or anything. I just wanted to point out that just because HB is honest about how the money is divided doesn't make it any less a charity.

D

David Berkompas

I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought the Humble Bundle for the $1 minimum, then immediately upgraded to 2.0

I'm loving GMS2. My son wants me to teach him about the gaming industry. So far he's been using RPG Maker VX Ace (which I got from a Humble Bundle years ago)

Dave

Qual

Oh I forgot about that. I still think people are making a bigger deal than it really is. Sure, YYG isn't the most consistent, but the dudes have to make money somehow! Otherwise your precious GMS 1.x, 2.x, whatever.x will be gone forever when PlayTech dissolves YYG.

I'm personally kind of peeved at all these newcomers showing up and screaming about how they spent hundreds of dollars on different modules and blah blah blah when in reality they should have purchased the desktop export (only $99) because they probably don't even know how to make a game yet or even how to use the software.

So because I don't have 500 posts like you I don't even know how to properly use Game Maker ?. Ok thanks !

I may not be an hardcore programmer or professional, but I have the knowledge to make any game I want to as long as I keep the project reasonnable. It's not because I'am concerned about YOYO not doing things like they told us that I'am just a noob who can barely understand what he's doing.

Also why the Retail Price displayed for the UWP is $799 ? :/

Last edited:

hippyman

So because I don't have 500 posts like you I don't even know how to properly use Game Maker ?. Ok thanks !

I may not be an hardcore programmer or professional, but I have the knowledge to make any game I want to as long as I keep the project reasonnable. It's not because I'am concerned about YOYO not doing things like they told us that I'am just a noob who can barely understand what he's doing.

Also why the Retail Price displayed for the UWP is $799 ? :/
FFS calm down. I didn't say "@Qual has no idea how to make games! how dare him?!" If the type of person I was describing isn't you, then there is no need to get upset. But getting upset makes me assume that something about what I said struck home for you. So thanks for proving my point. I'm peeved at new people coming in here and screaming when most of them don't even know what they're screaming about. Is that a simpler way to put it for you?

F

factnfiction101

I bought the Humble Indie bundle, I didn't receive a key, but it was suppose to have been sent to my email :?

L

Lord-Xanthor

Whilst it's cool that people who missed the last bundle(s) can get this one, it's obviously a push for people to get 1.4 modules cheap and use them to upgrade to GMS2, maybe sales aren't going as well as they'd hoped?

I do however feel bad for the people who were told by support that 1.4 wasn't available anymore and then paid full price for GMS2 and any modules, only to now see 1.4 magically appear in another bundle and it can be used to get the upgrade discount.

Some people are gonna have a really sour taste in their mouth - especially if they bought the more expensive Mobile or UWP modules at full price - and it's usually the unhappy customers that post the most, shout the loudest and are heard by other potential customers.
That would be me last year. Last year it was one of those days where anything and everything that could go wrong did. Then the macroed sorry email that came several days after that pointed me in the direction of where I could buy it at full price. I was so furious that day, I figured that nothing could happen to make it worse, but in fact something did happen which made me totally forget the bundle issue. My daughters kitten managed to get outside and used as target practice with a shipment that was pretty hefty. Pet was left to perish but because I caught it, was able to get her to the vet in time who saved her and in all the aftermath, totally forgot about the bundle issue, until today....... I was filing papers and talking with my daughter this morning about a game I promised her I would finish and how I lost my shot at it last year due to just bad timing when it hit me that hey wait a moment, its about the same time like last year that yoyo games had that humble bundle and that maybe I could save myself a few hundred making a small donation and wondering if it was the old version or the new one. I didn't care, I just wanted something better than what I was using and whether new or old version, maybe a chance to get it at a decent price and wow, talk about timing! I saw re-bundle and was wondering if it had the same games and code it came with last year. Its pretty nice to learn a whole new program over again and have a few games you can view their code and get a basic idea on how the maker works. For the price of a small donation, I'm not complaining. Though if anyone can tell me if this re-bundle has the same things as last year, it would be appreciated. I still can't believe I was thinking of this at the right moment.

Reactions: Yal
L

luckyluca

Hi, I've just purchased the humble bundle and am about to upgrade to 2.0. Please note I never opened gameMaker before.

I'm planning to learn gameMaker2 windows license but would like in the long term to create ios and android apps as well. I'm well aware about the current 1.4 to 2.0 promotion and was wondering:
-is it possible to open a 2.0 project into 1.4?
-is it possible with the windows license to test locally projects which would eventually end up to android/ios? what I mean is simply emulating smartphone screensizes and project settings

Many thanks

L

Lord-Xanthor

Hi, I've just purchased the humble bundle and am about to upgrade to 2.0. Please note I never opened gameMaker before.

I'm planning to learn gameMaker2 windows license but would like in the long term to create ios and android apps as well. I'm well aware about the current 1.4 to 2.0 promotion and was wondering:
-is it possible to open a 2.0 project into 1.4?
-is it possible with the windows license to test locally projects which would eventually end up to android/ios? what I mean is simply emulating smartphone screensizes and project settings

Many thanks
As the core system is basically a total rewrite, plus anything written in 2.0 will have code that 1.4 can't read, I would say no, you can't load 2.0 in 1.4. I'm glad they have a promotion allowing an upgrade to 2.0 which I plan taking advantage of soon. luckyluca, buying the humble bundle besides helping raise money is a great way to get your feet wet. If you haven't bought 2.0 yet, try 1.4 out with all the demos it comes with. Then download 2.0 demo if its still available and most likely like myself will upgrade. Its a great investment, if you plan selling an end product, or just as a hobby. (Expensive one lol) Good luck.
P.S. (I always miss something when I respond) I myself haven't had a chance to fully test out 2.0 yet, but I do know if you want to see how a finished product looks before release, android has a pc emulator that can run your game and if you see something that needs fixing or improving, just go back and make the fixes or changes.

L

Lord-Xanthor

As someone who just recently got back into GM and bought Studio 2 (with a free 1.4), this bundle is pretty rad. $15 for mobile exports means I can actually consider using them.

Now onto the problem of needing a mac to publish on IOS and not having an Android phone.
I couldn't believe what the package came with myself. I ended up putting together a cart of items I plan buying before August ends then when I saw other options, ended up having to google them to realize I most likely will need a few more modules to cover areas I had no clue my pc itself had. I myself haven't touched an Apple product since the 80's. Could only imagine what the gaming industry would have been like back then with an engine like this. Making versions for TRS80s, Tandys, C64, Atari, Amiga, etc. Then again, pcs back then were not able to do the things they do now. Heck, I still bust my brothers chops over the fact he once told me if I bought a 10mb LT Kernel hard drive, it would be all the space I ever needed. BBS days before the internet existed.

L

luckyluca

As the core system is basically a total rewrite, plus anything written in 2.0 will have code that 1.4 can't read, I would say no, you can't load 2.0 in 1.4. I'm glad they have a promotion allowing an upgrade to 2.0 which I plan taking advantage of soon. luckyluca, buying the humble bundle besides helping raise money is a great way to get your feet wet. If you haven't bought 2.0 yet, try 1.4 out with all the demos it comes with. Then download 2.0 demo if its still available and most likely like myself will upgrade. Its a great investment, if you plan selling an end product, or just as a hobby. (Expensive one lol) Good luck.
P.S. (I always miss something when I respond) I myself haven't had a chance to fully test out 2.0 yet, but I do know if you want to see how a finished product looks before release, android has a pc emulator that can run your game and if you see something that needs fixing or improving, just go back and make the fixes or changes.
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have any free time currently to test v1.4 (or indeed v2.0), but I'm still planning to purchase at least the 2.0 desktop module.
what about my second question?

F

Falconsoft-Industries

One problem phones come in many sizes so emulating for phones could prove difficult on PC unless you have hundreds of phones of hundreds of sizes to test on. :) ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Mouse events get translated into touchscreen events automatically (or rather the touchscreen is mapped to the mouse on a phone target) so as long as you won't use any desktop-only functions [which are clearly indicated as such in the manual] it doesn't matter what you test the game at.

Keep in mind that PCs have stronger CPUs, more RAM and such, though, so the game probably will run a lot better on your PC than it would on a phone. You should test at least one real phone to make sure the game can run somewhat OK on lower hardware specs. (an intermediate way would be to set up a virtual machine with really low system specs... something like 640x480 display and CPU/RAM comparable to a phone you'd like to try on. Export the game, transfer to the VM and run there; if it runs well it means it should run OK on a phone as well)

T

Travisty

Missed it. No big deal though. ;m;

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Not yet. But there are high chances that there might be something of the sort coming in future updates of GMS2. On the roadmap, there's an entry called "Mobile Templates - indication of what room views will look like on popular platforms." The roadmap doesn't mention what licenses the feature would be made available for, though, so it could also be only for Mobile license owners. As for GM:S 1.4 (which is probably what the question was asked about), it's not possible and I think it wouldn't be down the road.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
As for GM:S 1.4 (which is probably what the question was asked about), it's not possible and I think it wouldn't be down the road.
I'd say it might be down the road, it's just GMS1 that's not on the road at the moment... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.