Forum Game Forum Attorney - Investigation, Day 1

2Create

Welcome to
Forum Attorney!

Have you ever wanted to pitch your wits against another person's Ace Attorney style? Here's your chance! Forum Attorney is a game of intrigue surrounding a murder case where every witness and attorney has their own agenda. The courtroom will be your battleground, but the stakes are high. Be careful what you do and say!

I will randomly pick two attorneys from the signups. The other players will become witnesses. I will be the judge and any witnesses that are not players.

Signups:
-MikeDark_x
-Mercerenies
-GhostlyFeline
-Rockyfelle
-nvrogers
-rougebare
-Alice

RULES:
  • Each player must attempt to complete their goals. No gamethrowing. That ruins it for everyone.
  • No tampering with evidence or fabricating new evidence. All the evidence presented must be identical to how it's listed in the player's court record.
  • No secretly talking via PM. All conversations must include me as a participant and be held at appropriate times.
  • You must refer to me as Your Honor.
  • To make this even more over-the-top and fun, you can use the following images:

To object to an event or point out a contradiction.

To present evidence in court.

To interrupt a witness testimony so you can ask questions.
HOW IT WORKS:

The game will be split into two phases which will repeat until the judge reaches a verdict.
At the start will be an investigation phase that is slightly different than normal because the prosecution does not participate. Instead, the prosecution will receive evidence and witnesses for the trial directly.

INVESTIGATION:

During this phase, the defence and prosecution hunt for clues via PMs. They can visit at most 3 different locations each investigation, and can travel between those locations freely for the duration of the phase to gather evidence and talk to witnesses. Witnesses can be shown evidence and asked questions.

There is no time limit, but if this drags on too long, I may end the phase.

TRIAL:

This phase takes place in the thread.

During a trial, the prosecution tries to present evidence to prove the defendant guilty. If evidence is not enough to prove this, they can call witnesses.
The defence tries to disprove the prosecution's claims and shed doubt on the defendant's guilt. They can request that a witness is called.
The judge makes a final decision on whether witnesses are called.

When a witness is called, the prosecution can hear their testimony first (via PM). They can then tell the witness to edit their testimony as they see fit. (Leave parts out, or be more detailed about others, or even lie.) The witness posts their testimony in-thread when the prosecution has no more revisions.

Then, the cross-examination starts and the defence is allowed to ask questions to the witness. The defence can ask statements to be added to the testimony, and they can point out contradictions within the testimony or by presenting evidence. The prosecution can object to lines of questioning and assumptions the defence makes among other things.

During this phase, a strike system also comes into play. If either the defence or prosecution are found to be obstructing justice by lying or claiming something obviously incorrect, they receive a strike. Once either party gets five strikes, they lose. Strikes carry over between phases, so be careful. Five is all you get for the whole game.

If there are still contradictions that have not yet been cleared up after all the evidence and witnesses have been presented, the judge will call for another investigative phase. If there are no more contradictions or questions remaining, the judge will give a verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MikeDark_x

I was just reading the rules and...
No tampering with evidence or fabricating new evidence. All the evidence presented must be identical to how it's listed in the player's court record.

I simply ask for the possibility of presenting updated autopsy reports.

2Create

I simply ask for the possibility of presenting updated autopsy reports.
As far as I'm concerned, you can ask for an updated autopsy report during investigation if you're prosecution. I don't think it will do much good, but feel free to use it. As long as you don't make stuff up it's fine.

G

GhostlyFeline

I'll give it a go. Though I might have already been murdered. Oops.

R

rougebare

This sounds interesting and count me in. But for curiosities sake more than anything else, can a witness refuse to alter a testimony?

2Create

This sounds interesting and count me in. But for curiosities sake more than anything else, can a witness refuse to alter a testimony?
When prosecution prepares a witness they can tell the witness to leave certain things out, to be more detailed, or even to lie, but the final decision lies with the witness. After all, they have already been called. They will give their testimony either way. However, a witness that talks about unrelated things or refuses to talk about the topic at all won't get much done.

If the judge says they must alter their testimony, the witness has no choice but to do so. However, this only involves adding something that has already been said. If the defence asks a question the judge can also insist that the witness answers it, in which case they must. Whether the answer is a lie or the truth doesn't matter.

2Create

Investigation, Day 1
The defence attorney will use this phase to gather evidence about the murder. All conversation in this phase happens through PM.