• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL GameMaker: Studio 1.4 - Humble (Re)Bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This is odd. Is it normal for a company to continue selling development software that it has announced will not be supported in less than a year?
It's probably normal for a company that's no stranger to PR messes of their own doing. We'll watch and see if this turns out to be another one of them, in a year's time.

For the information, I've already gotten two GMS HBs and won't be getting another. My dad has at least 3 of every tool in the house, at least one of which is in the garage. I aspire not to repeat the mistake.

V

Vectrex71

Sad it's only the old version :-( i wait until Gamemaker 2.0 with all Publishing Modules is on HumbleBundle Sale for 15$ or so....

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Sad it's only the old version :-( i wait until Gamemaker 2.0 with all Publishing Modules is on HumbleBundle Sale for 15$ or so....
And it'll probably happen when GMS 2 approaches or begins its EOL.

Do you look forward to the day when you'll be calling GMS 2 "the old version", holding onto that same $15 and waiting for GMS 3 to go on HB?

sylvain_l

with the Ps4 and xbox one module being now on a $1500/year (or $800/y individual) not going to happen any time. my $0.02.

I am dead serious, someone needs to tell me how they are selling those addons? I went through a big back and forth a couple months ago, asking to buy them, being treated pretty poorly and the end they said they won't ever be selling it again. Was a pretty poor experience, now to all be reversed and can buy again? Wtf.

rIKmAN

Whilst it's cool that people who missed the last bundle(s) can get this one, it's obviously a push for people to get 1.4 modules cheap and use them to upgrade to GMS2, maybe sales aren't going as well as they'd hoped?

I do however feel bad for the people who were told by support that 1.4 wasn't available anymore and then paid full price for GMS2 and any modules, only to now see 1.4 magically appear in another bundle and it can be used to get the upgrade discount.

Some people are gonna have a really sour taste in their mouth - especially if they bought the more expensive Mobile or UWP modules at full price - and it's usually the unhappy customers that post the most, shout the loudest and are heard by other potential customers.

P

Panthros

Has anyone bought this deal that came out today? It does not say GameMaker 2 in any of the listings. Is this then version 1? What is the upgrade to 2? It sure would be nice if there was clarification in the bundle. Great way to help a worthy cause if you know of a friend or fellow developer that could benefit from having GameMaker so I appreciate them doing this. I just would like more information.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Has anyone bought this deal that came out today? It does not say GameMaker 2 in any of the listings. Is this then version 1? What is the upgrade to 2? It sure would be nice if there was clarification in the bundle. Great way to help a worthy cause if you know of a friend or fellow developer that could benefit from having GameMaker so I appreciate them doing this. I just would like more information.
This is indeed version 1 of GMS. The upgrade to 2 is available until August 31, as detailed on this page.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
In case anyone got the bundle and are looking for more source files to play around with, I've got several engines for sale that's compatible with both GMS1 and GMS2~
(and several others that are only compatible with GMS1, but since that's what you got you should be able to use those too)
Unlike the source code that comes with the bundle, these can be used commercially and credit is optional...

With the shameless self-promotion out of the way, though, I have to agree it looks kinda odd for this bundle to show up again. Kinda feels like it was more Humble Bundle's idea than Yoyo's idea... or at least I hope the decision was mostly made by someone without full insight in GMS1's current state :p
Because it kinda feels like this is what's happened:
  1. GMS2 was really expensive to develop
  2. It's so totally different people don't want to switch over yet
  3. Yoyo removes GMS1 to force people to switch over anyway
  4. People switch over
  5. "The user base is undermonetized"
  6. Yoyo makes GMS1 bundle
Good job on getting THIS on your table as your first thing as a community manager, Lee... brace yourself and good luck :p

I have no reason to buy this bundle (since I already have both a GMS1 license and a GMS2 license and AFAIK none of my friends are gonna start developing games soon) so I won't, but yay for those that can benefit from it, I guess~

W

Wayfarer

This is indeed version 1 of GMS. The upgrade to 2 is available until August 31, as detailed on this page.
While it's definitely GMS1, if you were new to GM there'd be no way of telling what version it is! Maybe there's some text on the page I'm missing.

Even so, this is still a great deal (at least for those who want to use the upgrade paths to get GMS2 at a cheaper price) :)

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Checked the page, and indeed neither the headlines nor the "flavor text" of the "GameMaker Studio Professional" item says anything about it being GMS1.x... so yeah, gotta have to agree that there's a potential problem here. (It's obvious all the promo material uses GMS1 assets and referring to GMS1 terms, but for someone not familiar with it chances are they might think it's a promo bundle for the NEW version of GMS or something... not that it's a huge loss or something since it's pay-what-you-want, but still - a problem averted is a problem you don't have to deal with)

L

Lee Chisholm

This is odd. Is it normal for a company to continue selling development software that it has announced will not be supported in less than a year?
This is still a great opportunity to grab software (not only GM:S) at a great price. Also, with this purchase, the 40% discount is still valid across upgrade paths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

w8, this pro license is for gms1.4 and future versions of gms1.x right?

L

Lee Chisholm

In hindsight, I think we could have been a little clearer when pushing out the bundle, so we apologise for this. This is for GameMaker Studio 1.4 and you can purchase this product and be entitled to 40% off various upgrade paths.

Hope this clears things up a little for you.

L

Lee Chisholm

In case anyone got the bundle and are looking for more source files to play around with, I've got several engines for sale that's compatible with both GMS1 and GMS2~
(and several others that are only compatible with GMS1, but since that's what you got you should be able to use those too)
Unlike the source code that comes with the bundle, these can be used commercially and credit is optional...

With the shameless self-promotion out of the way, though, I have to agree it looks kinda odd for this bundle to show up again. Kinda feels like it was more Humble Bundle's idea than Yoyo's idea... or at least I hope the decision was mostly made by someone without full insight in GMS1's current state :p
Because it kinda feels like this is what's happened:
  1. GMS2 was really expensive to develop
  2. It's so totally different people don't want to switch over yet
  3. Yoyo removes GMS1 to force people to switch over anyway
  4. People switch over
  5. "The user base is undermonetized"
  6. Yoyo makes GMS1 bundle
Good job on getting THIS on your table as your first thing as a community manager, Lee... brace yourself and good luck :p

I have no reason to buy this bundle (since I already have both a GMS1 license and a GMS2 license and AFAIK none of my friends are gonna start developing games soon) so I won't, but yay for those that can benefit from it, I guess~
I appreciate the support :) I'm fully braced and prepared!

To be honest, Humble Bundle reached out to us and asked if we would like to work together again. Due to the success of the previous bundles, we thought it would be another great opportunity to showcase the product, the source codes, the games and everything else in between at a very low price point. Not only this but you need to remember a large chunk of the cash raised does indeed go to charity and also all the devs involved too!

L

Lee Chisholm

While it's definitely GMS1, if you were new to GM, there'd be no way of telling what version it is! Maybe there's some text on the page I'm missing.

Even so, this is still a great deal (at least for those who want to use the upgrade paths to get GMS2 at a cheaper price) :)
A few people have noted the version offered isn't as clear as it could be so we're awaiting some changes on HB's end.

L

Lee Chisholm

Checked the page, and indeed neither the headlines nor the "flavor text" of the "GameMaker Studio Professional" item says anything about it being GMS1.x... so yeah, gotta have to agree that there's a potential problem here. (It's obvious all the promo material uses GMS1 assets and referring to GMS1 terms, but for someone not familiar with it chances are they might think it's a promo bundle for the NEW version of GMS or something... not that it's a huge loss or something since it's pay-what-you-want, but still - a problem averted is a problem you don't have to deal with)
We appreciate your point here and you're not alone in thinking this so apologies and we're trying to rectify and clarify this asap!

Reactions: Yal
Z

zendraw

i mean this license aplies to all gms 1.x versions? yes? atleast stable ones, i dont care bout early access.

A rebundle is odd. I think this is maybe the second or third time in their history they have done a rebundle. As for having a company with a bundle that they've pulled support for, its quite common. Nothing hypes up a company like playing their old stuff. I'm surprised they didn't include some sort of GMS2 at full price for the top tier.

A

Hi, are Humble Bundle buyers which have bought Desktop,Web,UWP and or Mobile eligible to upgrade via the Master Collection path for 50$?

E

Edmanbosch

Just got this bundle for $1, there's a lot of good stuff in there. I'm definitely going to mess around with the source code stuff.

G

I've thought about this. I won't begrudge anyone who's able to have fun with 1.x cheaply, although there's certainly a 💩💩💩💩 you aspect to everyone who bought GMS2 at full price, particularly the $400 modules---assured that it was not an artificial placeholder price in between fire sales---just to see YYG apparently reevaluate the worth of the software and put it on a convoluted 40% off sale a couple months later.

But this decision is also unsettling. It goes to trust in YYG's stability.

First, it is a flat contradiction to two things that YYG previously said: that GMS1 and its modules would no longer be available or sold, and that the strategy of giving away software in the hope of future paid adoption had put them on the path to nonviability as a company.

Second, it makes no sense, or no sense in any way that is reassuring. If YYG was correct before that giving away GMS1 was driving them into the ground, then apparently they've decided to double down on a failed business strategy. Of course not, right? So we're left to guess at some other reason for the reversal. Is this an attempt to hook people into projects that will require an upgrade to be published/updated in a year? That seems like a recipe for angry people. And it suggests a lack of faith in GMS2's ability to sell itself over its inferior and soon to be deprecated predecessor. Or is it a way to offer GMS2 at a 40% discount a few months after its release without having to own that fact to internal accountants or the public? This also suggests a lack of faith in GMS2's ability to sell itself at what was presented as a fair price. Or does GMS2 simply need cash, any amount, quickly, to boost their internal standing in Playtech or for some other reason, regardless of prior statements, damage to the image, and future backlash?

So while it's great that many people are able to get free software, those who have invested in GM over other tools, believing that the future would bear out that investment, are left unsettled. YYG's image as a company that cannot decide what it wants to be or how to get there, under ownership by a definitionally rapacious gambling company, has not been improved.

T

TonyCold

It's just the perfect bundle for me since I bought GMS2 but hated its IDE so I went back to my babe GMS1.4. That's me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

N

nico76

Great bundle, but
I already bought GMS 2 last week, an i think i had make a mistake not to wait a week longer :(

But if i add the modules (from the HB bundle) , can i us them on GMS2?
Or how much is an upgrade with all modules activatet from 1.X to 2?

A

If we have to upgrade all the Humble Bundle licences separately, it would cost 629,96$ instead of 49.99$ till 31 August 2017. Clarification would be nice if the upgrade via the Master Collection(49.99$) path is possible when you bought the full humble bundle with all those keys.

K

Kuro

If we have to upgrade all the Humble Bundle licences separately, it would cost 629,96$ instead of 49.99$ till 31 August 2017. Clarification would be nice if the upgrade via the Master Collection(49.99$) path is possible when you bought the full humble bundle with all those keys.
I bought the humble bundle, added it to my account. If my account page is accurate then the exports bought via the humble bundle appear to also provide the upgrade discount, but only for the non-console modules. the Master Collection no longer exists, but the Ultimate edition is available at $1,500.00 per year if you want console exports.

N

nico76

Does this mean, a full upgrade to 2.0 is posible with 49,99$ with all modules (without console Export)?

Offers yoyo any refunds within 14 days? If not, i dont was lucky to buy my 2.0 license last week.

JackTurbo

If the bundle works the same as the last bundle, then you'll get a professional license + all module licenses not a master collection license.

So no, you wont be eligible for the $49.99 upgrade if you get the humble bundle (if it works how the last one works).

L

Lee Chisholm

A rebundle is odd. I think this is maybe the second or third time in their history they have done a rebundle. As for having a company with a bundle that they've pulled support for, its quite common. Nothing hypes up a company like playing their old stuff. I'm surprised they didn't include some sort of GMS2 at full price for the top tier.
But we've not pulled support. 1.4 will be supported until July 31st 2018.

L

Lee Chisholm

It's just the perfect bundle for me since I bought GMS2 but hated its IDE so I went back to my babe GMS1.4. That's me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Great bundle, but
I already bought GMS 2 last week, an i think i had make a mistake not to wait a week longer :(

But if i add the modules (from the HB bundle) , can i us them on GMS2?
Or how much is an upgrade with all modules activatet from 1.X to 2?
All the ugprade paths are available here - https://www.yoyogames.com/get

L

Lee Chisholm

The full humble bundle does not equal the Master Collection as the Master Collection includes some additional extras (Tizen, WP8 etc). So no. The upgrade path is not possible.

C

Callum_Copping

I have bought it and redeemed the code but in gamemaker it limits me to the trial version. I did the pay what you want one btw.

Appsurd

The full humble bundle does not equal the Master Collection as the Master Collection includes some additional extras (Tizen, WP8 etc). So no. The upgrade path is not possible.
Why are the Tizen/WP8 not for sale? I understand you stopped support for them a while ago, but I still would want to have the WP8 export... Is there any way to obtain it at this moment?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Why are the Tizen/WP8 not for sale? I understand you stopped support for them
You kinda just answered your own question there :p

I'd imagine it's something along these lines:
  1. Nobody really uses Tizen or Windows Phone devices, the market is completely ruled by iPhone and Android.
  2. Nobody wants the Tizen and WP modules. (You being one of the exceptions)
  3. Yoyo makes less money on selling them than the development and support of them costs.
  4. Yoyo wants everyone to forget they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.