• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS 2 DISAGRE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adilson

Hello! I'm Adilson Thiago, I'm 20 years old and I live in Brazil.
For many years I used Game Maker because I think it's a very easy tool. But I am completely dissatisfied with your work, and frankly, I was discouraged by the purchase.
Migrating from small changes (MSG 1 to 2) at high prices, and yet a mistrust that makes me disgust.

What is the reason for this mistrust, to the point of proving every 30 days that we pay for the product?

I feel insecure!
I had terrible problems with the licenses. NO, I DO NOT ACCEPT!

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who disagrees.

I can not buy a product like this, you mistrust, and so do I.
Before you improve anything on the engine, check this question, please!

D

Deleted member 13992

By "proving of payment of product" I'm assuming logging into your YYG account every so often?

It's annoying but we all have to go through with it.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Migrating from small changes (MSG 1 to 2) at high prices
Small changes? I'll have to disagree. GMS2 is much much better.
What is the reason for this mistrust, to the point of proving every 30 days that we pay for the product?
How can that be bothering? You just have to log in once in 30 days. I don't think that's a problem unless you don't have internet - is that the case?

A

Adilson

Dude, I did not mention that I do not have the internet.
READ THE TEXT, THE TEXT, and stop wanting to answer only.
You see where the "insecure" is written? Yeah.

So to complement my topic.

I do countless logins on social networks, and other places.
Tell me have you had problems with users on social networks? YES!
This is different, logging in requires more security data, it's something serious.
Can login errors ever occur? (If you discard this possibility, you are ignorant).
Is the security of GMS2 high? YES. But really, it is something that I find "boring", and try to solve, not to lose the user, is a good one.

Does anyone buy something when they are unsure, or dissatisfied?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest User

i vaguely recall that that the 30 day renewal is so that GMS2 automatically "unsubscribes" itself from your license if you do not log in within 30 days, preventing it from sucking up one of your "uses" since you can only have so many Gamemakers associated with a single license active at once.

afaik YoYo isn't going to change it as they prefer this system.
idk if they will add an alternative tho.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't see where the "insecure" comes from, it looks like you're drawing conclusions from a poor understanding of authentication.

Whenever you sign into a site with valid credentials, usually you get a random token linked to your account that is used for subsequent requests to the said site. Whenever you make a new request on such sites (e.g. visiting another page), you are actually logging in again, but using that linked token instead of your real credentials. The login system on GMS 2 operates on the same principles as long as the token isn't expired. When that token expires through disuse or age, that's the time you need to sign in again and get a new token.

Could they have refreshed the validity of the token whenever it is used? Perhaps they could. But that is more of a usability issue than a security issue.

DesArts

This thread is silly.

The 'high price' of the software is
1: relative to your own ..erm...affordability?
2: going to be higher since GMS2 is new, and GMS1 is old (not to mention it had huge discounts prior to the update, and is now preparing for discontinuation). Overlooking 2's benefits impacts no one but yourself.

Secondly, logging in more often really isn't an issue. It just isn't. As stated above, its not a trust issue at all.

Last edited:

bml

Having to enter a password every thirty days is an annoyance. If you use macOS, you can't paste a password so I have to enter in my long random password by hand which is extra annoying, but not the end of the world.

I image if you get asked for a password and you don't have Internet access at the moment then it's very disruptive and would be very frustrating. If that's the issue, maybe you can logout and login every couple weeks and then you can control when it happens - I'm not sure if it works that way.

But what is actually beyond annoying is when you make a game or software, something than you have invested heavily in, and people steal it. This is far too common these days so I can live with having to login occasionally if it means the makers can keep making. A login every 30 days is very reasonable - it beats hardware doggles, license servers and physical media checks. And it beats logging in everytime you start the software.

A

Adilson

I will not be able to log in every 30 days, on no occasion, I'll make that clear, leaving yoygames.
I can not agree with that.
I do not have to try all my life I'm not a thief.

Also criticizing this company, the GMS 1 to 2 were very few changes, at an absurd price.
Nor did they adjust 3D to be a little more motivating.
It does not matter if they refit the engine. I could not say that money invested in the engine would improve my work (yes, I'm poor).

Last edited by a moderator:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I will not be able to log in every 30 days, on no occasion, I'll make that clear, leaving yoygames.
I can not agree with that.
I do not have to try all my life I'm not a thief.

Also criticizing this company, the GMS 1 to 2 were very few changes, at an absurd price.
Nor did they adjust 3D to be a little more motivating.
It does not matter if they refit the engine. I could not say that money invested in the engine would improve my work (yes, I'm poor).
You don't have to upgrade, just stay with GMS 1.4 - it's not bad and many are still using it. Heck, some are even using GM8.

Status
Not open for further replies.