Demo Battle Buggy Glitch [Download Demo]

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

A top down tank (actually buggy) shooter with a tron feel. A sequel to Battle Buggy Grounds. Working on mix between arena shooter, rougelike and not too sure what else.

Been experimenting for a while and so far so good.

Here are some snaps and a quick video

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Testing out random perk and random weapon generation.
so many bugs to get through. But I got about 20 unique weapons (unique in how they work) and about 10 perks so far. Still experimenting with perks that aren't so common in other games. hooray for progress.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Thanks to this super-quick-to-respond forum, I was able to figure out random perk and weapon spawning and management. I still have 20 weapon types but have just crossed 12 perks with about 4 more additional ones I'm about to work on. Let's do this!!!
Runner 2016-07-04 17-26-30-909.png

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Boss Battles
What's an action game with bosses, right? Dealing with waves of minions is fun. However, to give the game a little more spice, boss levels (I think) will make things that much more interesting.

These guys will serve as the first boss. Starting off with a lot more frustration than expected... muhahahahahahahahaha.

Plans for a demo
Truth be told, I want to put a small price on the final game. I'm working on a demo to get guys who like these kinds of genres excited.

It will have a couple of stages leading to the first boss battle. Perks and guns won't all be there. Even after release, the thing I want to do is keep developing for as long as the updates can remain relevant. I figure I can use the demo to showcase potential.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

I decided to change the look of the first boss dudes.... Didn't like how they looked.
Plus I decided to put together a brand/title for the game. I don't know... I'm liking it :)

So before diving into game development, I was graphic design person. In fact, if you interested you can take a look at some of the portfolio work I got out there kidando.deviantart.com or https://dribbble.com/kidando.

I decide the "brand" for the game would take on an 80s---ish feel. It seems to work for me :)

Getting closer to demo release \( -_-)/

H

heyimdandan

I'm digging this. Would you consider some Rocket League multiplayer versus mode or something like that? Knocking around a ball into your opponents goal?

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

I'm digging this. Would you consider some Rocket League multiplayer versus mode or something like that? Knocking around a ball into your opponents goal?
At first I wasn't sure if this game would seem thaaaaat interesting. If things go well. If people like the demo.... I'm willing to consider throwing in some nice extras. I have no idea how to code for multiplayer. But I'm eager to try it out

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

A lot of "little" features have been added, including room transitions (Player is persistent, carrying over all his perks, weapons and loot over to the next stage).

General code cleanup so that I can begin adding more classes of enemies.

I was going to go for randomly generated stage layouts... but my goal is really to have this small game out as soon as yesterday. I might revisit that as an extra mode if it actually does well.

I want to focus on saving/loading in GM Studio and then move quickly into menus. I should be good to go for the demo after that.​

Attachments

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Pause menu, death menu.
Keeping things simple for now.
It's been a process having to unlearn the unproductive ways of focusing on so much detail during the early stages of development. Personally, focusing on polish before figuring out whether the game will make sense or not can really set you down a path of regret. IDK... What do you think?

E

Emik Vayts

Yes! let's hope the finished game doesn't have too many bugs mate ;)

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Making video game music is kinda tough. Respect to all those indies that nail it.
I currently do the tracks in FL Studio which I have been using for a while (Way before becoming a game dev). However I really feel like I could have someone else do that. Especially someone who has got mad-crazy skills in a number of genres. But getting those guys doesn't come easy (especially on the bank). But if... I mean WHEN game dev begins to pay off, I will definitely set aside significant budgets for music. I don't know... I just love great music in games

Here's a video of the track I just made called Battle Buggy Glitch. Demo almost complete now. Just need to tie in the title screen, create a splash page and a demo-end page.

A couple of stages and a boss fight. That should be awesome, right? Hope you like the song

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Not much to add in this update. I have extended the demo gameplay to just one more level/stage. Just to hint at the possibility of variation.
Plus added in a lot of 8-bit nes-type sounds for the fx. Works great.
Now... time to do last minute cleanups and to finalize pause menu buttons.
Shooting for releasing the demo this weekend.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

So, how do you help players get familiar with the game? Do you teach them every single thing? Or just enough to get them going? In-game tutorials or do you dedicate a room/scene to show them the basics? I did the latter. Welcome to buggy bootcamp.
Final touches now.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Decided to end the tutorial section with a Blue Pill / Red Pill choice. I'm a huge fan of The Matrix. In fact, just finished watching all 3 movies again (for the millionth time).
Just a little fun
. Wondering if this counts as an Easter egg?

F

FROGANUS

I tried it briefly.

Can you make the shooting auto? I have to click for every shot (at least before any weapon upgrades) which gets kinda furious, so it's not totally practical for low key gaming like at work or when youre not totally feeling the fury atm. You could at least have a slower firing rate for the auto shoot, so there's incentive to click furiously if you really need it, (but enabling the auto option)?

Bootcamp is cool.

Seems pretty frantic figuring out what enemies do what powerups do. Shouldn't there be some kind of stall to the action so you can read what the powerups are? I guess you can't leave it too easy.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

I tried it briefly.

Can you make the shooting auto? I have to click for every shot (at least before any weapon upgrades) which gets kinda furious, so it's not totally practical for low key gaming like at work or when youre not totally feeling the fury atm. You could at least have a slower firing rate for the auto shoot, so there's incentive to click furiously if you really need it, (but enabling the auto option)?

Bootcamp is cool.

Seems pretty frantic figuring out what enemies do what powerups do. Shouldn't there be some kind of stall to the action so you can read what the powerups are? I guess you can't leave it too easy.
Thanks for giving it a try :)
I won't change the shooting mechanic. That was deliberate. However, there are a couple of weapons that are auto-fire. Also, depending on the powerups you pick up, you might get an easier time taking down enemies.

Thanks about bootcampl I don't know... just felt like doing something slightly different from what many games offer when it comes to tutorials.
There is a small window to breathe every time you complete a wave. Enemies don't spawn. Thats the only "break" the game offers when helping you prep for the next wave.
I built the difficulty in a way that you would need to sort of master the game or gameplay to stand a chance of succeeding. But you have raised very valid points. Thank you so much for the feedback

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Working on some feedback I have already collected. So far the general feedback is positive and encouraging. The main game's development continues after one more day of resting. Here's a gameplay video I made for the demo (Better Quality so far)

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Back 2 Game Dev - New Weapons
Development of BBG is back on track. I took time to think about features and the general direction the game should go. I have ideas I'm testing out but one thing is for sure... more weapons and more perks. How many more? Honestly I'm going to put in as many unique ideas as I can. This should cater for a bit of variety and replay value.

But I'm thinking of also not making the waves the ONLY thing to do. But more on that later. Still trying to figure out some stuff. Say hello to my litto friend.

Update on Demo
I don't think I will update the demo. It's fairly stable... no reports on crashing. If you havent' already, you can download it from Gamejolt - gamejolt.com/games/battle-buggy-glitch-demo/162355​

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

24 unique projectile weapons so far. I haven't run out ideas yet. But I think I'm almost at my limit trying to use the math & logic needed to pull off some of these stunts. But, damn it I'm having some fun.

Anyway, after putting in a couple more projectile weapon types, I will have to start thinking of ways to create "variety" in gameplay. I won't go too crazy, but I like a game that isn't completely predictable. So I'm thinking secrets. I'm also thinking random surprises. I won't go too crazy though. One mistake I refuse to repeat is overloading small projects with complicated mechanics, goals or plots (mayhem-causing projectile weapons excluded of course
)

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

There are days I wish I had known about developing games while still a teen. Successful games or not, I have never felt this alive doing something I truly truly enjoy.

Anyway, with 32+ weapon types, clearly I haven't run out of weapon type ideas.

The next stage of development (which is already happening in parallel with unorthodox weapon smithing...) is working on more boss types.

If you made it to the end of the demo, you might have encountered one. The plan is to have each boss type be unique. How unique? I'm going to try my best to deliver the unexpected. I will try

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Taking a break from "weapon smithing". DragonFly V2.2 is going to be nasty boss (I think). I got ideas to make the battle against the player interesting.

H

Heat4Life

Bruhh, This game is destined for success in my point of view lol

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Oh man. It's been a while since I last posted an update. But so much "secrety" stuff was happening behind the scenes.
Weapons are all done. Now i'm working on perks.
Here is a sample of how the drone perk works.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

It's been a minute but a lot has been happening.

Anywho...

So I have been putting in work on the boss battles. I even redesigned the initial boss battle. I'm on boss number 3 right now and I plan to have 2 more.

Here I'm testing out new enemy types. This might be interesting.

The plan is to lay out all the levels. Include in all the default enemies for every level, then make a second, third and maybe even fourth pass on all the levels to add in spice, and especially interactivity. Oh... not to forget secret.

Gotta get back to work now...

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

A lot has happened over the past couple of weeks.
This is just a quick summary. I will be back to post more :)

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

I was working on the Game's main theme song. I liked it so I decided to share it in a video with some progress so far

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

More powerups to help players survive pew pew pew :)

plus mini-boss battles is now a thing.

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

I have spent a while (a few weeks actually) refactoring and cleaning up all the game’s assets and code. Adding new things to the game was becoming a chore.

Anyway, things have been a lot smoother since I finished last week.

I also played around with GameMaker’s saving function for the first time. I had seen so many videos online using dlls and ini stuff, but I decided to settle for ds_maps.

Which is pretty decent for what I want to accomplish. Plus it can encrypt files to prevent any curious gamers from fiddling with game settings (and locked content)

This gave me time to explore making a title menu and pause menu i could be proud of.

Oh, and since folks who played the demo didn’t like the fact that perk description came and went faster than lightning, the pause menu displays perk descriptions. Of the ones collected of course