• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Dreamer

E

Ethanicus

Hey all!

I've been working on something for a while now, and I finally feel it's to the point that I can show you and let you try it out in some capacity.

In Dreamer, you take on the role of an unnamed guy who wakes up in a strange, unfamiliar place, having no memory of who you are. Through the help of a talking cat, you learn that you are asleep and this is your dream. However, escaping back to the real world isn't as simple as clicking your heels three times; through a mysterious event, your mind has been shattered, trapping you in your own dreamscape. The only way out is to put your memories back together by exploring strange worlds, conquering unique challenges, and even fighting against the dark, repressed, nightmarish corners of your mind to find the truth: who are you? This plot is old and not relevant. XP

Or something like that.

(Windows only, sorry!) You can try the game out here! "F" is interact, BTW.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3FzUy_v7Me-OGlBOGJkYmp3SFk

Hope you guys can give me some input! Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Dave Martinez

I can see them now. It tried the demo, the textboxes are a little wonky, but nice work so far, the quick slides and hook shot are cool. Just a little weird to be able to hookshot the air. :p

E

Ethanicus

I can see them now. It tried the demo, the textboxes are a little wonky, but nice work so far, the quick slides and hook shot are cool. Just a little weird to be able to hookshot the air. :p
Wonky? How so?

E

Ethanicus

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm considering something.
I'm trying to decide if Dreamer really benefits from the layering mechanic. Those of you who tried it out, what are your thoughts on it? Was it good, confusing? Did it clutter gameplay?
Just trying to figure out if I should remove it or not. Thanks!

EDIT: Nah, I decided I like it. It adds another layer of depth to the game, pun perhaps intended.

Last edited:
H

HavanHUN

It looks really great! I love the movement system, that hook like thing and the camera movement reminds em of Teeworlds though. The style looks awesome!

E

Ethanicus

It looks really great! I love the movement system, that hook like thing and the camera movement reminds em of Teeworlds though. The style looks awesome!
Thanks! I've hit a bit of a lull with working on this but I'll try and resume as soon as possible!

E

Ethanicus

Hey hey hey!

Been kicking some coding butt and making lots of progress. I've redone my character from the ground up with some new animations, plus a few sneaky tricks to make him feel better to play as.

In the above you can see a dynamic collision box and ghost jump (represented by the big red number.) The ghost jump basically lets you jump for a splitsecond after leaving the platform, and the box allows you to land on things that are normally out of reach. I'll try and get a demo out sometime soon!

Thanks for reading.

M

Marvelo

I'm digging the movement system, the shifting, shooting the colourful blasts and Bionic Commando style grabbing hook action got me intrigued.