This Is My Game Demo For My Game ''CAVE LIGHT''
Its A Meta Platformer Shooter

It Has Humor Only A Fourth Grader Would Find Funny
I Mean Paul Blart Said It Was Fine
But That Does Not Really Help...

I'm SORRY

CAVE LIGHT BANNER.png

G

Humor... is risky. This humor strikes me as very young, which makes me fear the game will be undeveloped, leading me to not bother looking at the mechanics. Not a good sequence. I recommend putting the game in the forefront so that those who do not share your sense of humor have an opportunity to judge the work rather than prejudge it on an unfair basis.

N

newtinn

I like the game.
Forget what Justice said above and listen to meh. This is a really good game with a nice art style and gameplay which lasts for a good amount of time. I might be uploading a basic short gameplay of the video in the upcoming days, that's how good I thought it was!
Good Stuff
-smooth gameplay
-likeable art style

Stuff to improve
-Depth(it would be nice if the player could show in front of the signs)
-Tutorial
-Options on menu

Well overall, it was a good game to play and I think it is one of the up and coming games of 2017 which looks like it could appear on Steam! :)
See ya,
Matt

K

koopy eacret

I like the game.
Forget what Justice said above and listen to meh. This is a really good game with a nice art style and gameplay which lasts for a good amount of time. I might be uploading a basic short gameplay of the video in the upcoming days, that's how good I thought it was!
Good Stuff
-smooth gameplay
-likeable art style

Stuff to improve
-Depth(it would be nice if the player could show in front of the signs)
-Tutorial
-Options on menu

Well overall, it was a good game to play and I think it is one of the up and coming games of 2017 which looks like it could appear on Steam! :)
See ya,
Matt
Thank You! Im Glad You Liked IT
And If You Do A Video I Would Love To See It

Please Inbox Me The Link!

I Actually Just Found A Game Music Designer Who Is Helping Me Make Music For The Game So You Have That To Look Forward To I Guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

its like a 14y old made this game, ;) gj, need more content asap

ps: i like the music, but need vol option

K

koopy eacret

its like a 14y old made this game, ;) gj, need more content asap

ps: i like the music, but need vol option
How Did You Discover My Secret!
You Will pay For This

You Sir Just Made A New Enemy

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Prepare for my review because I take game making a bit too serious so this review may be a little bit hurtful:

The game sets you in a dungeon, ok, but the objective is not very clear, at some point you have to fuel up generators so they destroy some kind of invisible wall I guess? It makes little sense honestly, I had some fun going from room to room and trying to kill enemies, but the humor is... Not my type of humor, I didn't really like that, the music is ok, I mean I guess you created it? I can't even create music, a very good thing about this game is how smooth the camera movement is, I really liked it.

So it's a 4 out of 13 points, which means this game is Ok. At least I can see that you have the impulse to do a game, something many people lack, so keep on, but please, make a game that has some kind of meaning some day, ok? I'd really like to see that :)

Anyway, good game, keep going, You have potential kid, I didn't make a decent game until I was 15 so, maybe you'll beat me there? XD, ok, seriously, keep improving and getting better because I can see you have it, that stuff many lack, ok now I'm done.

K

koopy eacret

one of meny.. now get to work!
All Ready Added 3 New Levels And A New Puzzle mechanic

Did Not Upload It Yet
Because Im Planning On Adding A Bit More Before I Upload It!

And I Have A Little Bit Of Creative Block
And Am Having Trouble Making More Levels Or Puzzles

K

koopy eacret

Prepare for my review because I take game making a bit too serious so this review may be a little bit hurtful:

The game sets you in a dungeon, ok, but the objective is not very clear, at some point you have to fuel up generators so they destroy some kind of invisible wall I guess? It makes little sense honestly, I had some fun going from room to room and trying to kill enemies, but the humor is... Not my type of humor, I didn't really like that, the music is ok, I mean I guess you created it? I can't even create music, a very good thing about this game is how smooth the camera movement is, I really liked it.

So it's a 4 out of 13 points, which means this game is Ok. At least I can see that you have the impulse to do a game, something many people lack, so keep on, but please, make a game that has some kind of meaning some day, ok? I'd really like to see that :)

Anyway, good game, keep going, You have potential kid, I didn't make a decent game until I was 15 so, maybe you'll beat me there? XD, ok, seriously, keep improving and getting better because I can see you have it, that stuff many lack, ok now I'm done.
Umm Only My Dad Is Aloud To Disapprove Of Me!
But Anyway... I Enjoy FeedBack, So Thanks!

Z

zendraw

if you want i can be a tester of the game and give you regular feedback.

S

spiritualatombomb

Hey man. Despite there being shortcomings that other people have mentioned (dialogue being off, level design being inconsistent) you've done some really good work here. The pixel art is dope and the platforming controls are tight. My advice would be to remove the signs and just keep the elements that are strong: art, music and gameplay. It would be a compelling package and raise the quality level by a lot. Thanks for posting and good luck developing this! Looking forward to more levels :)

K

koopy eacret

Hey man. Despite there being shortcomings that other people have mentioned (dialogue being off, level design being inconsistent) you've done some really good work here. The pixel art is dope and the platforming controls are tight. My advice would be to remove the signs and just keep the elements that are strong: art, music and gameplay. It would be a compelling package and raise the quality level by a lot. Thanks for posting and good luck developing this! Looking forward to more levels :)
THANKS!

Z

zendraw

i like the new mechanics, makes it more engagin. i think you shuld make the signs the main feature in the game and everything else like every mechanic develope around them, like make the levels like situations and the sings to interact with you, like how you made it in the start. for instance there was no sign talkin bout the damn hangin people?! really if you ask me the signs are the heart of the game, dont know bout you?

without the signs things look mundane.

K

koopy eacret

i like the new mechanics, makes it more engagin. i think you shuld make the signs the main feature in the game and everything else like every mechanic develope around them, like make the levels like situations and the sings to interact with you, like how you made it in the start. for instance there was no sign talkin bout the damn hangin people?! really if you ask me the signs are the heart of the game, dont know bout you?

without the signs things look mundane.
Totally Agree

And Too Awnser The Question About THe Hangin People This Game Takes Place In 2009 And Obama Care Drove Them To Madness

DT Mark

It was quite neat.

The writing is not particularly hilarious, but the signposts do add a structure to the game, as in the player feels motivated to advance just to see what else they might say. But I think it'd be nice if the text was also trying to convey a story of some sort rather than just trying to react to (or teach) the new level features in a funny way on the go.

The controls are fine. There were some circumstances when the jump felt really floaty, but I eventually learned how to use the physics to my advantage. But why does every game use the "arrows + X and Z" control scheme? I find it so unintuitive to have the jump button next to the fire button. If you really want to keep it that way, then how about adding re-bindable controls?

The mechanics are interesting, but as soon as you use one, you use it for 1 level then throw it away. Try mixing them up together to make more interesting and complex levels.

Graphically, it's very work-in-progress-ish. The wall texture is too regular, straight, and boring. The character looks quite nice though. I'd love to see more details in the background or foreground, like spider webs, rocks, parallax structures, and so on. You could also add some more particle effects and juicy stuff in there, like when the blocks fall on the ground or when you die. A little transition effects when you go to the next room or restart would be nice to have as well. And how about not using the default font for your text? It would also be better to have it displayed a bit more above the signpost, because when it's too long it overlaps with the player.

And finally, the sound effects do their job, but there's not enough of them. Try adding more. The music is okay.

Anyways, good luck with the game!

J

JealousOfCrows

Hi, I played your demo. First off, good job. The game is on a good track!

1. Some issues I have are that the "generators" don't really make sense as a road block. Why can't I walk by the generator? They also don't fit the theme of the dungeon game.
2. Standing under the spike blocks under the floor they are on makes them constantly trigger and thus constantly screen shake, might want to add a check for general distance before dropping or something.
3. I personally feel like the jumping is too floaty, and you should be able to halt the ascent of your jump by letting go of the jump button (hint: on key release, jumpspeed *= 0.5)
4. I like the arrow speed, it is nice to have it slowly accelerate up so well done on that, but the arrow gets destroyed outside of the view and makes the wall hitting sound. I don't think this makes sense and it would be cooler if the arrow continued past until it hit something.
5. Good job on the particle effects, I really like when the generator blows up (or whatever its supposed to be doing).
6. I got stuck in the door at the room where you shoot the thing that kills the ghost...I stayed around moved back and the door closed on me and I got stuck and didnt die. This is a game breaking bug!

K

koopy eacret

It was quite neat.

The writing is not particularly hilarious, but the signposts do add a structure to the game, as in the player feels motivated to advance just to see what else they might say. But I think it'd be nice if the text was also trying to convey a story of some sort rather than just trying to react to (or teach) the new level features in a funny way on the go.

The controls are fine. There were some circumstances when the jump felt really floaty, but I eventually learned how to use the physics to my advantage. But why does every game use the "arrows + X and Z" control scheme? I find it so unintuitive to have the jump button next to the fire button. If you really want to keep it that way, then how about adding re-bindable controls?

The mechanics are interesting, but as soon as you use one, you use it for 1 level then throw it away. Try mixing them up together to make more interesting and complex levels.

Graphically, it's very work-in-progress-ish. The wall texture is too regular, straight, and boring. The character looks quite nice though. I'd love to see more details in the background or foreground, like spider webs, rocks, parallax structures, and so on. You could also add some more particle effects and juicy stuff in there, like when the blocks fall on the ground or when you die. A little transition effects when you go to the next room or restart would be nice to have as well. And how about not using the default font for your text? It would also be better to have it displayed a bit more above the signpost, because when it's too long it overlaps with the player.

And finally, the sound effects do their job, but there's not enough of them. Try adding more. The music is okay.

Anyways, good luck with the game!
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!

And I Have Most Of The Things You Listed On My To-Do List(Which i Do Have)
But I Just Added A Few More Of Yours To The List

And I Am Not The Best At Level Design Or Knowing How TO Spread Out Mechanics But i Am Working On It.

K

koopy eacret

Hi, I played your demo. First off, good job. The game is on a good track!

1. Some issues I have are that the "generators" don't really make sense as a road block. Why can't I walk by the generator? They also don't fit the theme of the dungeon game.
2. Standing under the spike blocks under the floor they are on makes them constantly trigger and thus constantly screen shake, might want to add a check for general distance before dropping or something.
3. I personally feel like the jumping is too floaty, and you should be able to halt the ascent of your jump by letting go of the jump button (hint: on key release, jumpspeed *= 0.5)
4. I like the arrow speed, it is nice to have it slowly accelerate up so well done on that, but the arrow gets destroyed outside of the view and makes the wall hitting sound. I don't think this makes sense and it would be cooler if the arrow continued past until it hit something.
5. Good job on the particle effects, I really like when the generator blows up (or whatever its supposed to be doing).
6. I got stuck in the door at the room where you shoot the thing that kills the ghost...I stayed around moved back and the door closed on me and I got stuck and didnt die. This is a game breaking bug!
About The Bug At The End...
I Just Checked It Out
And Fixed It

DID NOT UPLOAD FIX YET THO

K

koopy eacret

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!

And sorry for the lack of any updates i've been busy

WarpDogsVG

I gotta say your presentation is so incredibly offputting that I really don't think I'd ever check this game out. But then again, I'm sure a 29yo isn't your audience, so that doesn't mean much

That said, have you considered who you're targeting, or is it just a fun solo project?

F

fxokz

Never cried so hard in my life, simply emotional - My Mom

that actually made me laugh...