The 8-bit's [Hack'n'slash adventure game]

T

Tobias Brugel

This is a project I have been working on for a while now. I actually had a lot finished but wasn't really happy about the result and canceled it. Later on I started from scratch with the same idea but with a new art style and better system. The game has 3 stages for now but a lot more are coming soon!

Screens:

The game is about a boy who lives in a peaceful medieval town. He lives in a magical world filled with might and magic. Everyone lives at peace together until a mysterious wizard appears. The wizard corrupts everyone in the land and turns them evil. Their eyes turn white like snow and the land turns to darkness. But for some reason the boy didn't get affected by the spell. The faith of his land is in his hands. He must gather all the 8 bits of the long ago shattered legendary bitsword to slay the wizard and turn everyone back to normal.

The game works with a xbox360 controller and keyboard. For keyboard X to attack and C to dash, and for controller X to attack and RB to dash.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yzj1bvzkst5620k/RPG.zip

Please note that the game cuts off after passing the spike gate.

My game is also available on Itch.io: https://tobias02121999.itch.io/the-8-bits

If for any reason you would like to seek contact with me, send me an email to: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roa

alexde5th

critisism on a game 3 (The 8Bits)
Pros.
• The art style is pretty good! Nice shading and such. Although I'm kind of able to see a flat wall at random parts where the tree's are.
• The character animations are quite smooth (I guess?) and with how the attack animations are nice and smooth.
• Having the character's body merge into the ground is a bonus, not a problem! (It is a problem. There's a bit of a delay when moving from the water to the ground and vice versa.)
• Being able to attack about 7 characters at once is awesome. Even though its basically unrealistic for me to push 7 goblins in one go.
---Holy 💩💩💩💩, this is one strong guy...
• RIP.
• Here's my video on this.

Cons.
• The game has no sound what so ever...
• I randomly see screen tearing when moving.
• Why does the game start in fullscreen mode? It's a little annoying when there's no options to tweak it.
• No options... or title screen. Or anything! (Not really a problem with me considering where this game is currently at.)
• The bats are a little fast to the point where once you hit it, there's a chance it can hit you without a chance to hit back.
• When I first started, it took about 10 minutes to finally figure out that I needed to move the giant purple (Or blue?) apples to the eaten apples for the giant worm (or snake) to show up.
• The application name (When the game is running) doesn't show up. It's blank.
• Please add sound. This game is pretty good and I want to see it improve.
Ok I'm done.

T

Tobias Brugel

Thanks for the review on my project! It means a lot!
I am thinking about audio for my game but I haven't worked with audio that much, but I will look into it as the project grows.
The screen tearing doesn't occur to me so the cause may be on your side.
I'm also still balancing the enemy stats so I will be balancing all enemies soon (including the bats).
I will add the titlescreen/option menu pretty soon
Please check back in a while cause I will be making lots of changes to the project.
Thanks again!

F

FROGANUS

Yo Tobiiii,
I played the first version and this is looking real nice- you're making a bit of progress. I really like the trees and shadows graphics, the giant worms, water, player animations and art. I guess it's clearly a bit early in dev, here's my list of most noticeable areas to maybe work on:

- Player seems just a little slow? Maybe its just the animation? He just seems a bit 'frolicky' and I found myself always trying to dash. Also diagonal facing player sprites would be liberating.. (if that's not too complex at the moment).

- Combat is not bad, but tbh a little lackluster for now. As a 'hack-n-slash' I'd focus heavily on making the combat nice and smooth. Like Alex said about stacking 7 goblins and knocking them out same time- that's sort of the exploit that I used to really crush the goblins- I'd just run the perimeter of the room, herd them into the center like a goblin rancher, then kill like a dozen of them with the same 4 strikes. Maybe a quick tweak could be something like randomized knockback direction, especially when touching other monsters or the player?

- Related point- AI: the other big thing I'd focus on. Seems the enemies only have 2 states for now- standing still or comin at u. Maybe create different AI states? examples- patrolling, exploring, running, sleeping, etc. If you can create unpredictable phases of combat, it might be more exciting.

- A couple quick visual recommendations: some kind of flash sprites for combat strikes, some splashy stuff around the water, etc. Some flowers would be nice..

- GUI- consider maybe breaking the gui display into separate similar looking signs, spread them out to opposite corners. Also might consider some kind of action gauge to show cool-down for dash and/or other actions.

I'll keep an eye out for updates.
Cheers!

T

Tobias Brugel

Yo Tobiiii,
I played the first version and this is looking real nice- you're making a bit of progress. I really like the trees and shadows graphics, the giant worms, water, player animations and art. I guess it's clearly a bit early in dev, here's my list of most noticeable areas to maybe work on:

- Player seems just a little slow? Maybe its just the animation? He just seems a bit 'frolicky' and I found myself always trying to dash. Also diagonal facing player sprites would be liberating.. (if that's not too complex at the moment).

- Combat is not bad, but tbh a little lackluster for now. As a 'hack-n-slash' I'd focus heavily on making the combat nice and smooth. Like Alex said about stacking 7 goblins and knocking them out same time- that's sort of the exploit that I used to really crush the goblins- I'd just run the perimeter of the room, herd them into the center like a goblin rancher, then kill like a dozen of them with the same 4 strikes. Maybe a quick tweak could be something like randomized knockback direction, especially when touching other monsters or the player?

- Related point- AI: the other big thing I'd focus on. Seems the enemies only have 2 states for now- standing still or comin at u. Maybe create different AI states? examples- patrolling, exploring, running, sleeping, etc. If you can create unpredictable phases of combat, it might be more exciting.

- A couple quick visual recommendations: some kind of flash sprites for combat strikes, some splashy stuff around the water, etc. Some flowers would be nice..

- GUI- consider maybe breaking the gui display into separate similar looking signs, spread them out to opposite corners. Also might consider some kind of action gauge to show cool-down for dash and/or other actions.

I'll keep an eye out for updates.
Cheers!
Hey Froganus,
Thanks for the tips. I am currently looking into the GUI and I will be splitting it into parts.
I am currently also working on special abilities to make the combat more interesting. I will work on smaller details and decorations later because I first want to have a stable core of the game.
Good advice for the states! A sleeping state would be pretty cool, also some kind of wander/exploring state is something I will be looking into aswell.
Thanks again for the great advice!

T

Tobias Brugel

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to let you guys know that I've added most of the sounds into the game!
I have updated the download link so if you guys want to check it out now you can.
I've also added in sleep states for the enemies. When enemies are sleeping their sight is devided by 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tobias Brugel

Hey guys,
Here's a quick update of the points and bugs I am currently working on.

Cons I will fix/improve:
- Titlescreen / option menu
- Application name doesn't show up
- Maybe trying diagonal sprites :O
- Combat little lackluster, special abilities?
- Particle effects and small details (Like water splash n flowers)
- Break up GUI into parts (Healthbar incoming!)

Bugs I will fix:
- Ghosts get stuck in walls
- Possibillity to flash out of pits (💩💩💩💩s up the player sprite)

I'll try to put as much stuff into the next update as possible, but if it takes to long I will split it up into 2 or 3 updates :)

T

Tobias Brugel

Hey guys,
Its been a while and Im sorry for that..
I had a lot on my mind with school n such,
A new version of the game will be uploaded soon! I promise!
So this is what I've been up to:

Changes:
- Leveling up does not improve your stamina and health anymore, only your damage
- The ugly GUI in the top left corner has been removed, and is replaced for health and mana bars in the bottom left of the screen
- Attacking now costs stamina, when out of stamina you can't attack (maybe this will make the combat a little bit more interesting???)

New features:
- Theres a really clunky but functional main menu and pause menu (saving and loading will be coming in the near future)
- Added in slime and blood spat effects when attacking enemies
- Working on new stages and the first mini-boss (he will propably called: eye of the beholder, hint: its a giant eye which shoots lasers :0)

Bug fixes:
- Fixed the ghosts stuck in walls bug
- Fixed the flashing out of pits bug (not possible anymore)

I need help on improving the combat system and making it more interesting, please tell me your idea's on how to improve it. Thanks guys, youre awesome!

T

Tobias Brugel

Hey guys,
The new version of the game has been uploaded and is available for you guys to try :)
Here is the final list of things changed, fixed or added in the new version:

Changes:
- Leveling up does not improve your stamina and health anymore, only your damage
- The ugly GUI in the top left corner has been removed, and is replaced for health and mana bars in the bottom left of the screen and a golden coin on the bottom right
- Attacking now costs stamina, you can still attack when out of stamina, but the lower your stamina, the lower your damage
- The first stage is way more detailed, I've added in little things like flowers, birds and tall grass to make it look more alive :)
- In the underground cave stages its now a lot darker then before
- Tweaked some enemy stats :)
- Changed some of the soundtracks

New features:
- Theres a really clunky but functional main menu and pause menu (saving and loading will be coming in the near future)
- Added in slime and blood spat effects when attacking enemies

Bug fixes:
- Fixed the ghosts stuck in walls bug
- Fixed the flashing out of pits bug (not possible anymore)