• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Spending money on your game

KurtBlissZ

So I never spent any money on assets for my games or labor so I'm curious on your guys experience with this is?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I learned to compose music and draw, and I'm pretty experienced with the design stuff as well, so I've never needed to commission anything (just check my Itchio profile, I sell both code, graphics and audio resources there, everything is stuff I've made myself :p). I've grabbed a bunch of marketplace assets that seemed interesting, though, like a dynamic water effect I'm using in several of my games.

Reactions: J_C

Genetix

As my projects have become more and more 'professional' I've learned that spending money on assets, marketing, etc. can go a long ways if done correctly. Not only that, buying from the marketplace helps support others here!

I've mainly only bought certain things from the marketplace that I've needed for platform specific features like iOS and Android social media sharing and bringing up the native keyboard. If my brother didn't make my graphics, I would be glad to pay someone who is talented for their work.

D

DBClutis

I'm not opposed to buying assets:/ In my mind it is basically the same as hiring an artist or having an employee that programs for you.

W

weiner

Do not know why, but I would never buy any asset. Only music and sound effects. I would hire somebody. But I do not have money for spending to game dev.

Maybe it's just me being a workaholic or my passion for originality but I don't even think about assets or hiring anybody. I usually just end up doing everything myself, maybe an artist on my side. It can be stressful at times but in the end I'm proud of my work and what I got accomplished. :)

I've hired artists and composers. Even wasted a lot of money for advertising. I've even bought asset packs such as Yal's music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yal
W

Wayfarer

Spending money feels good so be careful! :D

However, if you know specifically what you require, and you can find assets that match those needs, then I don't see any reason not to spend money. You just don't want to end up buying things because you "think you'll need them at some point in the future".

Spending money feels good so be careful! :D

However, if you know specifically what you require, and you can find assets that match those needs, then I don't see any reason not to spend money. You just don't want to end up buying things because you "think you'll need them at some point in the future".
Agreed. You should always have a place already in game for what you're asking for. Game comes first, the art comes later.

W

Wayfarer

Agreed. You should always have a place already in game for what you're asking for. Game comes first, the art comes later.
Definitely true! It's like when you go into a bookshop... it's so easy to buy a new book despite having books you still need to finish. Humans like the "potential" of new things :D

M

MishMash

I've spent a fair bit of money on my latest project, though we've tried to be as tactical as possible, buying re-usable or re-purpose-able assets, allowing us to stretch them as far as possible. So far, i've had a pretty good experience with it, and had quite good luck as far as finding both cheap and good quality work!

One of our latest quality pushers has been buying royalty-free sound effects from websites like Pond5.com. Often times, you can get really really high quality assets extremely cheaply, the only downside being that technically they may also exist in other projects, however I find its more about how you combine these sound effects together to create an atmosphere in your game, rather than any one sound standing out in its own right. (I probably wouldn't buy main soundtrack music, however for ambient tracks, ambient sounds, small little music cue's etc; it's fantastically good value!)

I also love to make use of the marketplace where possible, though I do find that it can be a bit of a gamble. Certain assets, whilst good on their own, can be a pain to implement, or just require more complex setups than they are worth. Some aren't the most efficient in the world and thus impractical for certain use-cases. So, I tend to program almost everything myself, unless I have a good amount of faith in an asset.

For me, it got to the point where the desired level of quality for our project wasn't achievable by ourselves, so we needed to source external help in order to bring up the overall quality of the project.

M

method72

I have spent several thousand on assets for games in the past, both art/sound. Some completed, some still on the cutting room floor...
But I can also produce my own graphics to a certain degree, but you need to weigh the time and cost. If you have more money and less time, then you can easily pay someone to produce assets. If you have more time and less money, then you can spend that time generating you own assets, assuming you have the skill set to create the required content.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd say the main benefit of making your own assets is that they're guaranteed to be consistent. A consistent art style is a lot more valuable than individual art pieces being well crafted, because the human mind is great at spotting patterns and anything made in the wrong style will just stick out like a sore thumb.

T

teamrocketboyz

im new here and new to game maker studio but i used to fiddle around in unreal as a hobby, aswell as animating in maya, blender etc.

for me creating the art and other assets myself is all part of the "fun" and charm of a game. i dont buy assets as i like to spend a day coding and looking forward to the next day as i know its my art day. i think i prefer the art side of game making but im willing to try both.

G

Guest User

well, GameMaker costs money so I guess I spent a decent amount of money on my games ;)

anyway, I bought some interesting assets like GM Video Player and some other assets, I really haven't used any of those assets but I am looking forward to use them in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coded Games

I regularly buy assets that I think are nice and that I could use in an interesting way. A lot of the time my game development process starts off by finding assets and then trying to build a game to fit them. For example I've used assets from the YoYo RPG in two of my games now, neither of which ended up being RPG like the original asset intended to be.

G

Guest User

Even after releasing your game you might consider advertising, it costs money and you have to do it in order to get customers.

A

Andy

Does buying GMS count? :p

Jokes aside,
I have bought examples from the Marketplace, it's a handy service. There is no shame in buying resources, it makes you a job creator.

From my perspective it's always good to credit people who have helped you, even if you are not obliged to (since you payed for their work). It just feels right to be transparent. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nexusrex

Well, for my current project, I did just pay for some games so I can get some inspirations xD
So far I'm not into buying assets -not just because I'm unable to buy it xD- as I try to learn through doing the code and art. For the game's music, I had it done by someone, so that's alright. Yet I dunno about the sound effects, maybe I would give it a try and buy a microphone and keep recording some random stuff : P
(That's excluding the amount of soda cans I've bought D: )

JackTurbo

Bought a Cintiq primarily for creating game assets, does that count?

I will be commissioning music at some point, but its not something I'll be focusing on for some time.

I have bought some assets (graphics and small engines for learning purposes) after learning that I can't actually do everything on my own, especially since I don't have the time to invest into becoming a great artist, I stick to being a programmer, unlike Mr. Oink-Oink over here -> @SnoutUp who does everything on his own at a great quality :D

G

Guest User

I'm running a small campaign over at a friend's video game generalized website right now.
It depends on your friend's website, are you just adding a banner just like other advertisers ? or bought a sponsorship at his blog or homepage ? see a huge difference in here.

It manages to get me a high click through rate at 1 in 500 views when a lot of banner ads get 1 in 1,000.
Don't get me wrong but that is very low amount of traffic, you might consider getting at least 5,000-12,000 people to view your product and buy it, how much you spend on these ads exactly ?

I've had far more sales just talking with people and not even bring up the fact that yeah these are my games.
That basically what you do when you are unknown, bring up your product to others, talk them into buying this product and hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
When you talk with people you simply make them trust you, because you know, a real sale person is talking to them and they are waiting for your wowing response that makes them want to buy the game, friends and family are the best start for many entrepreneurs.

I'd wager people that help others sell far more copies. Then again at that point its time to just setup a Patreon and go that route as it can make far more money than the 1% of people who break even making games.
There are many ways to promote your games, Kickstarter is a good way, risky and scary but it is an option, Facebook groups, forums, this forum in the "Made With Game Maker" section or "Work In Progress" section, you have all the rights to promote your game there as long as you follow the rules, of course.