• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion How Would You Run a Game Company?

E

Ethanicus

Hey all.

I'm sure everyone's heard of how Konami has basically turned theirs into a prison, or maybe that Valve is like a cult meets high school clique. But if you had a reasonable amount of funds, how would you go about this? What environment would you make? How would you schedule things?

Looking forward to the ideas.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
I'd have a small group of people, I'd probably befriend them, and that would be it, I cant stand more than 7 people in the same space all working like slaves.

I'd hire awesome people and pay them well. Then I'd work my ass off and lead by example. I'd want a tight knit team full of people who love the games they're working on, and feel like they're doing something worthwhile with their lives.

First step is making a few games and saving up money, though, haha!

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Just "run with it"!

So whatever comes to mind, be it. Game industry is still in it's prime years, so before it becomes textbook, just do whatever you'd like your surroudings to be.

E

Ethanicus

The reason I bring this up is because Rare was bought my Microsoft a long time ago, and they effectively killed it by changing the rules and stuff including internet usage and firing the testing department. The changes ruined morale and the leaders quit soon after.

Basically Microsoft bought them and invaded their group with Suits, destroying the fun for more money. In my opinion, if you don't like making games, nobody will like playing them either.

G

Gardevoir

give employees some quality time and slowly make them work like slaves

woodsmoke

Everyone has their own little projects. Groups of two people at most. Successful projects get a sequel with maybe more people working on it. Then I go get my whip.

D

DBClutis

Everyone has their own little projects. Groups of two people at most. Successful projects get a sequel with maybe more people working on it. Then I go get my whip.
I mostly agree with melerski! It would be great to oversee and put my "fingerprint" on multiple projects at once, especially since the number of people needed to work on solid games is going down so rapidly as technology advances. Maybe more than 2 people per game, but not much more than 5 or 6, with one director who has final say. I would simply fund and navigate each team, while also implementing the art of sharing between teams.