• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion What Pushes You to Dev?

E

Ethanicus

As the title says. What motivates you to keep going, or gets you back into your game when you hit a lull?

woodsmoke

I like making art, and I like computer games.
I experiment with new game concepts because I have the feeling I've seen it all before when it comes to video games today. Programming is fun too ... most of the time. Also: the endless possibilites are a big turn on for me.

Last edited:

JackTurbo

I very rarely struggle with motivation for game dev, if anything I have the opposite problem. If I dont spend enough hours per week on my project or make decent progress I find myself getting real time-related anxiety.

D

DyingSilence

I just want my ideas to become reality, i have so many of them and so little power to realize them, so i just don't waste time.
The greatest reward of gamedev for me is seeing others react to my game, doesn't matter if negatively or not.

Playing computer games is good but creating them is great!!
I make my day while coding and designing.

D

Deleted member 467

A few things keep me going. . .

1. Being poor is a pretty nice source of motivation. I would like to make games for a living rather than working at a Gas Station, fast food chain, or something.
  2. I love making games, since I was like 6 I've been designing games. Or at least showed interest in wanting to make games.
  3. Positive comments. These are really high sources of motivation. Then fact that someone likes what I make is an ecstatic feeling. Especially when I'm feeling really low and am convinced that my game is trash and no one likes it.

T

Toni

Literally, and for practical reasons: Nothing. Nothing pushes me to Dev, because I don't Dev anymore. Back when I was makerofthegames for the first couple years maybe, then for the next bit just from GMC Jam yes I devved. But my passions ended up lying elsewhere.

And that's fine!

Having a passion in general at all is something to be admired. Sure, maybe it won't end up exactly where you're currently thinking,

..or, who knows..

..maybe it will..

, but at the very least, having energy and a drive to do something creative already puts you ahead of the crowd. Just make sure that if you lose the energy to make games specifically, you at least carry on with something creative. I'm extremely biased unfairly, but I believe wholeheartedly that a creative effort is more important than a non-creative effort.

I very rarely struggle with motivation for game dev, if anything I have the opposite problem. If I dont spend enough hours per week on my project or make decent progress I find myself getting real time-related anxiety.
This is a good problem to have. I mean, it's also bad, it means you're not able to utilize your productiveness.
You know what my advice is when you're underutilizing your productiveness? OK, so, you know you're very productive, right? You wouldn't have written that post if you were't productive, right? Come up with a new project, any project, that capitalizes on things you already know how to do. Something that will only challenge you very sparingly, something that since you already understand the base processes you can pump it out quickly, and even though you don't have much time you're still able to get something out at all which is important.

Of course,

if you're someone who has yet to acquire enough skill to know how to get something base out,

then I recommend surfing tutorials, looking at past GMC Jams, and being an active part of new ones.

I say.
Not having made a game in years.
Without any intention, literally without any intention of creating a game anytime in the near future or otherwise.
I say.
I say while mostly drunk.

Makerofthegames has got your 💩💩💩💩ing back, alright? Remember that.

A

amusudan

Securing my future, setting goals and achieving them, completing my child-hood dreams, but...

Mostly because there isn't much else to do where I live :p.

M

MunchytheFox

Whenever I have feelings like "Why am I doing this again" or "Why don't I just go for a for secure job", the thought that "Well, I've come this far, might as well keep going" is what keeps me going. Kinda basic but it's gotten me through some rough patches

R

RappingHedgehog

I think of the possibly of conjuring a fandom from the finished product. Also I just think up scenarios where people are playing the finished product and are enjoying it. I want to bring happiness into the lives of many.

B

Bulwarkene

People who dev for money, end up earning none. People who dev for their fans, end up earning millions.

woodsmoke

My family has been kidnapped by evil gamers. I must release kick-ass games to save them. They have no idea who they're messin' with!!

Gamebot

1. Its Awesome.
2. Its challenging. (Beating my head)
3. Its rewarding. (Still waiting)
4. Its fun to watch others think I'm actually smart at something. (Cough, cough)
5. By the time I actually learn to code the rules will completely change. (Wheres that function now?)
6. Gives me quality time with my cat. (Imaginary)
7. Lets me go to bed late the next morning so I don't have to hear my neighbors. Ever. (True)

G

Guest User

It is because it is only thing I can do correctly, it is fun and it is my entertainment source.

When I get bored or annoyed from programming, I listed to successful people's stories, quotes and learn what they've been through until they reached their desired position.

Here is a video I was listening to when I got bored from writing the documentations of my project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Other people's interest in my work really helps me even if its minimal interaction, otherwise I get into a slump because I think its not worth the effort and loose motivation.

The feeling that you get from a game which has a wonderfull view with an awesome music behind, thats it. I'm playing guitar for like 3+ years and I like to play to the audience instead of myself only. Because the thing I do is casual for me..but not for them. So I be happy from their happiness. Thats an another thing that gets me to game dev. And..I'm a both math and literature-minded -if thats the way to say it- guy so I can either make magic with words -mostly in my native language- and write codes, solve problems... And all of this in the middle makes me a game designer :)

J

jshultsmd

Yeah, I have so many of them and so little power to realize them, so i just don't waste time.