• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM CAN'T SAVE GAME, weird error???

Zechevalier

Every time I try to save my game I get this error

Code:
Access Violation at address 004045D1 in module '5piceide.exe' , Read of address 00000000.
I read somewhere that Game maker needs to be updated to fix this problem, but this error is preventing me from saving my project.

Anyone know of a way to work around this error and save my project first before I update?

I'm running on a 64-bit Windows 10 operating system and my Game Maker Studio version is 1.4.1763.

Any help is appreciated!

Zechevalier

From what I can tell, this error seems to pop up when the save progress gets to the sprites in my project, and also it seems that I already have the latest version of Game Maker Studio... But my main concern is still saving my project before I try to fix this, does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone?

S

Silversea

I've had this problem for ages, and it is always sprite related. For some reason not all files related to the sprite name correctly. I've lost projects many times this year because of the error (the backups don't load either, it must be saving something in cache).

It's a real pain.

Zechevalier

Well, that doesn't sound promising... I still have my project opened hoping somebody has a solution, this is not a small project. I've been working on this for over a year, and it is supposed to be my first ever released game, I don't want to lose it.

I may decide to start from an older version of the project, but Is there a way I can at least prevent this from happening in the future?

I have an off day from work tomorrow and I will finally be able to try some things, also hopefully somebody has replied by then.

Zechevalier

Okay I managed to save my project, I just played around with it and realized that if I click "save" rather than "Save As" then it will only save whatever was changed. So I added a random comment in all the objects that I had changed since I was last able to successfully save the project, hit the save button and it saved the objects. Then I exported all the sprites I created since then as well.

After that I copied all the other files (sounds,backgrounds, sprites etc...) and pasted it into the folder, then after opening the project I re-imported the sprites and play tested it, and it works!

However, I still get the same error when trying to save my project the normal way. But it only happens if Game Maker tries to save any sprite files.

I am going to try and re-install game maker and if that doesn't work I will try some other stuff... But meanwhile, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Zechevalier

I've had this problem for ages, and it is always sprite related. For some reason not all files related to the sprite name correctly. I've lost projects many times this year because of the error (the backups don't load either, it must be saving something in cache).

It's a real pain.
Hey btw, are you running on Windows 10? I suspect that to be the problem.

Zechevalier

I don't know but maybe your sprite naming does it?
Wow dude, I guess you were right... I checked it out and noticed that a couple of sprites were prefixed with obj_ instead of spr_, also there were quite a few default named sprites (Like sprite125, sprite223 etc...), and there was one prefixed accidentally as spt_, So I renamed all them to be spr_blablabla and it saved successfully!

Thanks!

I wonder why it throws that weird error though...

Wow dude, I guess you were right... I checked it out and noticed that a couple of sprites were prefixed with obj_ instead of spr_, also there were quite a few default named sprites (Like sprite125, sprite223 etc...), and there was one prefixed accidentally as spt_, So I renamed all them to be spr_blablabla and it saved successfully!

Thanks!

I wonder why it throws that weird error though...
Oh, lol, gratz! I didn't even think of that would fix it :D

I'm naming them like "sprPlayer" or "sprTier1Goblin" thats a tip for avoidinig typos :)

Last edited:
S

Silversea

I think it happens when the sprite name is highlighted, I enter the editor, and hint enter to save the sprite. This sometimes clears the name as its saving, hence corruption...

I'm on Windows 7.