GMC Jam Discussion The Stellar GMC Jam #4 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M

Indeed, congratulations and thank you! I did not expect to be in the top three so that's awesome. :)
As always I'm looking forward to the next jam already!

M

Mocgames998

Whelp, it appears that Yal @matharoo is going to get my Owlboy key, since they got 11th place in the Jam.

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

This jam was full of great games. I almost didn't play thru them and vote, but I'm so glad I finally did. The final results look and feel spot on, so congrats to the winners. But not just the top three. Everyone who entered is a winner because there's no doubt you learned something. Learning and growing is where the true win lies. That must be why I'm addicted to these jams, eh?

See y'all next time! :)

P

PizWiz

9th place ain't bad for my first time!

That was fun! I enjoyed playing everyone's games and seeing the reactions to my game.
Can't wait for next time, I'll definitely be there and I'll be better than ever, kids!
Maybe next time I'll make an actual game who knows.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
That didn't happen for me...
I would really love to know why *just my games* always seem to throw false positives from Avira Antivirus... annoying not knowing the reason.

W

Wraithious

So... What's up with so many of these games showing black screen in full-screen mode? Anyone figure that out?
At first I had some problems with full screen switching, and after an hour or so found that using get_string_async was messing with the screen somehow, no black screen but instead the popup to rename was hidden under the fullscreen window, so in Forbidden Frontier when you go to rename your character in the options menu via async event, this was the codes I came up with to fix it:
Menu object Create event
Code:
forw=0;if window_get_fullscreen() forw=1;
Menu step event:
Code:
if(mouse_x>view_xview[0]+232 && mouse_y>view_yview[0]+31 && mouse_x<view_xview[0]+328 && mouse_y<view_yview[0]+127 && canmenu=1)//Name
{
if window_get_fullscreen()=1 window_set_fullscreen(false);
nameme=get_string_async("What will you change my name to?",global.orgname);
canmenu=0;alarm[0]=15;
}
Menu async dialog event:
Code:
///Name character
var i_d = ds_map_find_value(async_load, "id");
 if i_d == nameme
    {
    if ds_map_find_value(async_load, "status")
       {
       if ds_map_find_value(async_load, "result") != ""
          {
            var result = ds_map_find_value(async_load, "result");
            global.orgname=string(result);
            window_set_fullscreen(forw);
       }
    }
}
This way when get_string_async is fired it sets the screen to window, then after you rename your character it switches back to full screen if that's what you had set and that solved the problem for me, but I'm wondering what version of gms other people were using that had the black screen problem, could be a bug specific to that version.

Micah_DS

Just sent messages to @ChessMasterRiley, @JacobV, and @0.Bytes, so I can get those Steam games to you guys.

Also, sorry for disappearing for the last few weeks, not playing or voting on any games, and being a day or so late on sending those messages for game prizes. TBH, there's a pretty big situation with me that has come up. I have to give up game development because of some personal health difficulties. So I might not be around here that much anymore, if at all. But don't worry, I'll stick around long enough to give out those games for sure. :)

TehPilot

Great event! Congratulations to all participants.

I'd like to thank the reviewers for their honesty and constructive commentary on my entry. I'm looking to release a post-Jam spruced up version like I have for my other entries the last few Jams. I've taken a lot of the feedback into consideration.

N

nvrogers

This was a great jam! I'm sorry I wasn't able to review many of the games this time around, especially since so many of them were interesting. Congrats to everyone, and hopefully I'll be back for the next one.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
All entrants, check out my fonts over on dafont -
http://www.dafont.com/darrell-flood.d4895
You all can all freely use any of those fonts for any commercial purpose (bar reselling the actual fonts) because you entered this Jam.
Enjoy!
Oooh, some of the new ones look amazing :D
You're probably got more variety than NAL now, with both slick futuristic stuff and silly cartoon stuff and even a bunch of "serious" fonts that'd be useful for official documents and stuff~

(Freaky Paper Cutouts is still one of my favorite fonts ever because it's a nice copyright-friendly alternative to the Mario font, btw~)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Why thank you Yal! :)
Yeah I've been trying to get more variety in there lately.
I tend to get bored easily by doing the same thing, so it's nice to experiment a bit.
Hope to see more of those fonts in future Jams!
(Oh and yeah I noticed FPC in your entry this time, lol.)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Meh, I thought this was the topic for the next jam for a few seconds. Then stuff started seeming a bit familiar :p

Nallebeorn

I published a post-jam HTML5 version of my game (raftraftraft) on Kongregate today if anyone's interested: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Nallebeorn/raftraftraft/
GMC topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...ng-on-a-raft-that-tends-to-break-a-lot.30961/
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/raftraftraft-a-paddling-game-about-traveling-on-a-raft-that-tends-to-break-a-lot.30961/
I've simplified and streamlined it quite a lot (the crafting system is gone, for example, in favour of a single key to make raft blocks, and it no longer uses the mouse at all), although there are still some improvements to be made in that area.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Bring back the WHAM!
Here you go:
Title_GMCWHAM3.png
*(organization of an event not included)

EDIT: Derp, turns out we already had a WHAM 3... should've written the "GMC WHAM 5" I guess (since we're warming up for the 5th Jam)... this is why we don't let me organize things ^^'

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Huh, it appears the next Ludum Dare will be held
in two days? :eek:

What a coincidence. Just after I shifted the Jam in a way that April LD was avoided, LD in turn got shifted from August (when it would overlap with GMC Jam) to July. ^^'

Oh, just for the reference, yes,
The next GMC Jam will be held during 25th-28th August, from noon to noon!

Well, it looks like I won't be able to do this one. Good luck to everyone who does! I will try to play and vote for a least some of them though.

ghandpivot

Crap, last jam in the peak of exams and this upcoming jam just the same weekend as university starts up again after summer break...

M

Misu

My brother's birthday is during the jam... I dont think Ill be able to participate. I guess I can still post hypes for everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.