Which simple design is better? if so, a good reason why.

P

Piyo

The first one looks kinda off with his chin, left leg, and abnormal slouch?
The second one is better on the eyes and we can actually see a neck.

But overall, neat pixel work on both!

G

Guest User

the shading and shape of the body are much more appealing imo. but i think the right shoulder needs to be cleaned up regardless of which style is chosen.

B

BabyGodFather

the shading and shape of the body are much more appealing imo. but i think the right shoulder needs to be cleaned up regardless of which style is chosen.
thank you for your time, there's always room for improvement.

B

BabyGodFather

yeah
The first one looks kinda off with his chin, left leg, and abnormal slouch?
The second one is better on the eyes and we can actually see a neck.

But overall, neat pixel work on both!
yeah, the first looks like he has a big chin.

They're all Atari-esque stick figures. It doesn't really matter which one you go with, in my opinion. My view/enjoyment of your game wouldn't be effected by your choice either way.

Last edited:
this is extremely subtle
...It's not supposed to be subtle. It's just the truth. I have no trouble enjoying good Atari games, but their graphics play no part in that for me.

Nothing wrong with using ultra lo-fi graphics, but if I was going to do it, I'd put almost all my effort into the game itself, and wouldn't agonize too much over the particulars of how my game looked. If I played Pitfall tomorrow and the player sprite was slightly different, I don't think I'd notice, do you?

But yes, you're right. My original post was extremely blunt. Sorry, GodFather. I stand by the advice in my original post (move to a more detailed style, or don't worry about the particulars of your art), but regret the wording.

Also, thanks for bringing my incredibly creative spelling of "choice" to my attention, ninety, haha.

Last edited:

Ninety

I wasn't being sarcastic, I actually missed that bit on my first read completely.

I actually do think the smaller chin makes a big difference, though, for what it's worth.

Jase217

They both seem like they can exist in the same game, the first one just looks fatter, so really it just depends on what kind of character your trying to design.

M

MadGatsby

#2.
The first one looks like his chin/neck has been absorbed by the face and chest

A

Alex Lyons

#2, it gives off more personality given the stains on his shirt.

0.Bytes

I would make a mix of both, I would use the first one, but I would make the chin a little bit less "square" and erase some pixels on bottom right part of the chin, and would use the shades effects on the shirt from picture number 2. Good art, though !

T

The Last Random

Personally I like the second one. The slimmer shape mixed with a little more detail works better then the first, which I see as clunky and a little flat. The right shoulder looks a bit off but otherwise it is a good design.