Kids today: I can't stand 'em!

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I really cannot stand how this current generation is behaving...
From the youngest age, they're already ruining their lives, always on their smartphones and tablets, back in my day, it was so much better, we did productive things like playing with Pokémon cards (good for intelligence) and yoyo's (very good for the precision of arm usage). The music today is also aweful, Nicki Minaj doesn't even compare closely to Nirvana, Eminem and Linkin Park. And the older teens are also bad, they wouldn't know responsibility if it walked up and bit 'em. Get a job? Ha! It's just party all night, dance all day, and s** everywhere in between! Sickening!

What do you think of this?

M

MishMash

Kids these days make me sick! More kids than ever are picking up academic skills like programming from a young age, more students are getting into university and graduates finding jobs is at an all time high.. All I want from kids these days is to sit at home and buy my games ):!

Tbh, I really can't tell if this is a serious thread or not :p Obviously every generation you see changes the social dynamic. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, however the thing that rings true is that there will always be lazy teenagers with no aspirations, living exactly the same life as 70% of the other teenagers, not really taking the time to make their own path through life, at least not until later in their lives when they finally realise that "kids these days" are simply a reflection of the negative aspects of their own teenage lives.
Now.. the far more constructive thing to do is to look at the positive impact these things could be having, rather than just harping on negative trends.

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulloch

Ah, you're still young OP.
It only gets worse from here on out. ;)

You shouldn't hate "this generation" of kids. It's not really their fault-- if anything it's the 80's and 90's generation fault for having kids!
All joking aside, it's good to embrace what the kids are doing these days. You're a game developer, no? You have the ability to shape young minds!

Z

zendraw

kids go where adults push them, like some1 above said. you 2. and from my observation, only people unsatisfied with theyr lives trashtalk, otherwise theyr too busy to even care.

A

ajan-ko

Maybe that's because we lived in the era when social media and YouTube exist.
People become more self expressive and more prone to feed their ego with 'likes'. So they behave to ruin themselves to get 'like' from society?

Just look at the video I mentioned above, he gets 50 mil view, and getting 500k subs from singing that song. (I know there's bad song in my era, but this... animal dying sfx?)

I don't know... maybe it's just my false opinion, or maybe I'm a hater.
Well, time to let it go, nothing gained by overthinking it. (~_~)a

Last edited:
A

Alex Lyons

I blame the parents, as they were the ones who raised today's generation to be like this.

Z

zendraw

no1 is to blame for anything, every1 goes somewhere in life and people push eachother constantly, its normal. water and air constantly push and brake mountains and rocks fall, its normal. just dont get entangled in 'overthinking it' like ajan said, someone does somthing bad to you and you hate him, its normal, you do somthing bad to some1 and feel superior, its normal, the sun risses and you can see clearly, its normal. even the hypocracy that goes around the social media is normal.
everything passes, learn to remain yourself. you dont have anything else.

G

Geldra

Things are always changing. Your parents probably said similar things about your generation. On the other hand, yoyos are better than fidget spinners.

hippyman

lol I guess I made somebody upset since my post got deleted. It may be hard to hear the truth but it is the truth. You're being a cynic.

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it comes down to which group of kids you're looking at. I'm 17 and I'm already in the process of developing a full video game to be released in a little over a year from now. The kids I hang out with are the kids in my AP classes, who are all super focused on their education, determined to do what they want to do, whether it be in the medical field, engineering, or whatever. But I see all of the same things you're complaining about too, in the same school.

The issue is that the kids who are wasting their time with those sorts of things are really vocal about it, as like someone mentioned, they're trying to get likes after all. The rest of us are just hanging out minding our own business. You can hardly expect to find the "good" kids in the same places you find the "bad" kids. It's a little harder to find evidence of a growing, intelligent, young generation on the internet, because they don't draw attention to themselves so much.

Also, in many situations, you're assuming their age by the way they act. That means that if young people act like the mature adults you want them to be, they don't get any credit for that because you don't actually know their age and you just assume they're adults. Even in this situation, where most of us know each other's ages, that doesn't necessarily actually show our ages, since we can write whatever birthday we want when we create the account.

It could be argued that there are some problems with youth today, but the problem has nothing to do with the generation itself. Look instead at whether we need to make changes to our education system and our disciplinary methods. And, I suspect, that kids in earlier generations probably did a bunch of stupid stuff too, they just couldn't show it to the whole world on a Youtube video, so fewer people knew about it. (That's an assumption though, but it's what my impression is from stories my parents and teachers and other adults have told).

Z

zendraw

@Kenjiro yea today parents buy them expensive consoles and pcs and then brake them, great progress.
and the part about reasoning with your 4 year old, are you serious? reasoning with a 4 year old? im also against smackin, only stupid parents feel a need to do that, but reasoning is also stupid, and unreasonable, and very stupid, yes i said it twice.

B

Blazing

@Cloaked Games I agree. When my parents go on about "dang millenials" and "kids these days", I helpfully remind them of my 25-year-old friend who is married and owns a new car and a 3-bedroom house, or the wide array of early-20s moms who are happily married and living comfortably. You never hear about those because they're too busy working up the income ladder and feeding their children to brag all over facebook and snapchat about it. And then I point out that millenials are overall quite poor because we came to adulthood in a crappy economy where all the entry-level jobs were filled by my parents' generation, and thus had a delayed entry into the workforce amid rising minimum wage, rapidly rising cost of living, and inflation. If the economy were like it was in the 80s, I'd wager most of my peers would be owning houses and paying off student loans right now.

The "snowflake" types are a vocal minority that is pretty much limited to privileged high schoolers, middle schoolers, overly-sheltered college students, and a tiny portion of the college-educated. I'm a blue-collar worker and the sink-or-swim nature of manual labor jobs means they would be completely empty if the "kids these days" trope was true. And yet, all the twenty-somethings at my work seem to be the ones who have all their stuff together, not the 40-50-somethings.

A

AnonyMouse

When I was child the computer was something like a submarine :) Also finding toys and books was very hard. We had a lot of real games and I can say the computer killed them. No more children playing outside these games. But some new possibilities are here. I hate phones. After 30 years people would not use their thumbs and would be deaf (me especially very deaf). I so much hate phones... That started when I was in the army and had to be a orderly man - not sure about how it is in English, but that is about 26 hours when most the time you stay close to 2 phones, watching the weaponry room and these damn phones sometime rings... I remember one night when the other soldier was sleeping about 2 hours (that is all we had for the 24 hours duty) and I needed to go to the WC and I did it. From the phones to the WC were about 100 meters and I think WHAT if the damn phone starts ringing right now? And it started... I ran as a rabbit but couldnt pick it in time. Later it ringed again and the commander said to ask the sergeant to check the number of the soldiers (at 3 p.m.) The sergeant was sleeping and then was swearing, he did nothing but called back the officer and said it is OK... I was glad the officer didnt ask why nobody picked up the phone the first time. And now in my job is quite similar, ringing phone means a problem(s). And I hate when my colleagues are talking hours about their personal things, even in the WC somebody is talking on the phone, so much talking these days. One of my colleagues are talking hours more than women, yelling most of the time and talking b*****ts so sometimes he is moving around searching for free desks with phone, put his legs on the desk and start it again. If there is not such desk he is becoming a groveller, near to our room there was another and a girl worked there, other department, he learnt she is writing a poetry and start lying how much he liked it but if it is possible to use the phone... And he is now close to 70, but others are not so much different. Phones should be forbidden for children I think and should be limited to the old analog models at houses and offices only. When I see a child talking to the phone I think that is very, very bad :) But a women is worse.
Lol, what an offtopic :)

HayManMarc

Don't let the adults fool you. They're all just "kids that are older now", however, a little more jaded, a lot less energetic, and much more forgetful. Life has a way of pressing down on you as you age (in more ways than one).

Try to stay positive and focus on your own goals, but at the same time, extend a helping hand once in a while. Life is more than memes, sound bites, financial gain, and social status. Life is your story. You have more control than you might realize.

Kids these days.... are the same as they ever were, they just have different stuff.

Simon Gust

I feel like younger People take influence from older people. So if the mature misbehaves the immature will blindly follow. And it's all downhill from there. People need to be more themselves, not get influenced so easily. We need to think at least twice before doing life decisions.

Now with the more and more easy way to connect via the Internet, people are left undefended against every possible influence on here (not here, we're all chill).

T

Thexel PIN

Kids these days only care about vapes and that meme crap. Back in my day we supported more our country and watched racist propaganda broadcasted in public TV with the whole family!

Z

Ziphold

Kids these days only care about vapes and that meme crap. Back in my day we supported more our country and watched racist propaganda broadcasted in public TV with the whole family!
kIdS tHeSe dAyS OnLy CaRe AbOuT vApEs AnD tHaT mEmE cRaP. BaCk iN mY dAy We SuPpOrTeD mOrE oUr cOuNtRy AnD wAtChEd rAcIst pRoPagAndA bRoAdCaStEd iN pUbLiC TV wItH tHe wHoLe fAmIlY!

Z

zendraw

like there is no propaganda these days... but lets not get started.

G

Guest User

you don't need to go back in time to find racist propaganda on public TV. :D

Changgi

Kids today worry about having to delete games to make room for new games and loading times... Back in my days, games came on cartridges and loaded instantly!
Kids today worry about losing WiFi... Back in my days, when someone wanted to use the phone, you had to stop using the internet!
Kids today debate DLCs... Back in my days, you had one whole package of the complete game and no need to buy additional content!
Kids today complain about update downloads... Back in my days, you inserted the tape into the tape player and go away for 5 minutes before the computer program finishes loading!

... Is actually only 21 and hasn't lived through those days