Demo Gunfighter: Death Wish

A

Ashmor

Hello Gamemakers!
Let me introduce my game: Gunfighter: Death Wish.

Gunfighter: Death Wish is a non-stop action top-down shooter game. In the game the player character engages in a lone assault, shooting large numbers of enemies while dodging their attacks. Thus, the player’s goal is to take out as much hostiles as possible. This game calls for fast reactions and for the player to memorize levels and enemies’ attack patterns.

You will have an entire arsenal at your disposal from simple handguns to deadly rocket-launchers and fire-throwers. Also, in order to survive the player will have to collect separate power-ups and character upgrades dropping from the hostiles. Powers-ups add extra abilities to the player’s character. For instance, a riot shield, an ATV vehicle, a mech vehicle, etc.

You will be faced with the smart, armed to the teeth hostiles. There are eight kinds of the enemies in the game. Enemies try to avoid bullets of the player character, take cover while reloading their weapons, etc. They can also hear a sound of gunshots, a thunder of explosions, a clatter of glass windows having been shattered. However, not all kinds of enemies follow this behavior pattern. Each of them acts in conformity with their own behavior patterns, so, you will have to learn you enemies’ behaviors and figure out their strengths and weaknesses.

Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=881909891

M

megaspit

Very nice! Reminds me of the original GTA crossed with a space shoot-em-up.

But, might I suggest that you add some decor to the levels? You may have been planning to do that from the beginning, but I think it would really spice some things up. Maybe even some environments that can be destroyed. Exploding crates, papers flying around...

A

Ashmor

But, might I suggest that you add some decor to the levels? You may have been planning to do that from the beginning, but I think it would really spice some things up.
You're right! I'd had some pieces of furniture in the game but later I decided to get rid of them for some reason. I might bring them back later. Thank you for your comment anyway! I do appreciate that!

M

megaspit

No problem! Even some simple floor tiles would really bring some atmosphere as well. (And take probably little effort, being overhead. Just some square designs)

The engine and gameplay seems to all be there. May as well spice up the aesthetics!

A

Ashmor

It’s such a good idea! I surely can make good use of it.

P

Pisces

Wow! This game is HARD! I played TD shooters with W moving towards the cursor, S away from the cursor, and A n D strafed around the cursor. You should definitely add a preference for that in PC versions. I tried the help in the menu and it doesn't work. I haven't figured out how to use grenades. The time slow down really helps me and is a nice game play function. The graphics are mediocre, I mean, the game looks okay, but needs more depth like what megaspit said. My best score was 12. I was mainly turned off by the controls and the amount of times I died. Hope this helps.

A

Ashmor

Thank you for your feedback! It’s very helpful! I guess I’ve played it too much because the game doesn’t seem hard to me at all. To use a grenade you have to press right button of the mouse. The longer you’re holding it down the farther will be a distance of the throw. I’ll think what I can do to fix these problems you’ve been faced with. Thank you again for your comment! I do appreciate it!

Geoff Jones

It seems quite slow paced, Not sure if that is intentional. I opened the game as is, and just saw a black screen. I could hear the menu items clicking, but nothing showing. I changed it to windowed mode and it worked fine. However changing it back to full screen gave me this error: (I'm using two 1080p screens.)
Code:
of Draw Event
for object obj_pause:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
at gml_Object_obj_pause_Draw_0
############################################################################################
I found myself unfairly getting mowed down by an enemy who was not even visible (it was offscreen). Before I could even react, I was dead.

A

Ashmor

Hmm I’ve never had this error. I’m going to figure it out. Thank you for feedback! I do appreciate that!