• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [SOLVED] Pitch black screen in fullscreen mode

C

Charyb

So pressing ALT + Enter completely renders my screen pitch black. Also tried coding it manually via
Code:
window_set_fullscreen()
Not sure why this started happening, it was working fine last week without any updates to GM Studio. Tried multiple projects, all the same, even a new one from scratch. Windowed mode works fine, just fullscreen shows a pitch black screen.

Attempted GM Studio versions:

GMStudio Early Access v1.99.525.41609
GMStudio Early Access v1.99.549
GMStudio v1.4.1.4.1757
GMStudio 1.4.1763
GMStudio v1.4.1.4.1760
Specs:
Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs)
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-Bit (10.0, Build 15063)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Graphics Driver: Radeon Software Crimson Edition v17.1.1
RAM: 8GB
DxDiag: http://charyb.com/priv/DxDiag.txt

Could it be the new Windows 10 update?

Last edited by a moderator:

wadaltmon

I too have this issue on both the Early Access and Release versions, as well as on two completely different Windows systems. My expectation is, too, that it is the newest Windows 10 update, though I can't imagine why it would do this.

C

Charyb

I too have this issue on both the Early Access and Release versions, as well as on two completely different Windows systems. My expectation is, too, that it is the newest Windows 10 update, though I can't imagine why it would do this.
Oh phew thought it was just me. What version of Windows? Enterprise or..?

Anyone else having this issue too?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please make sure that all your drivers are up to date and then reboot. It sounds like a driver issue... Also, please post your DxDiag output for the devs to look at.

K

Kenjiro

Running 'GMStudio Early Access v1.99.549' here and have no problems.

NVidia based card here. Maybe its a Radeon thing?

Had this same issue with games/projects that previously had no issues, assuming it's a windows 10 update. The fix above seems to work for me as well though.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Yep, this is a definite issue with the Win 10 creators update, and affects other games too like Mass Effect ANdromeda or Dark Souls (and I don't think those were made with GameMaker...). So just sit tight and wait for MS to roll out an update or use the temporary fixes given above....

S

spiritualatombomb

I'm having the same problem as of recent. I basically can't run any GML based programs in fullscreen neither from the program or as standalone EXE files as the screen just turns black while the game itself still functions.

https://justpaste.it/17oxl

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can resolve this by switching on vsync OR using Alternative Synchronisation Method in the Global game Settings (note, it's not a bug with GMS, it's a bug with Windows 10)...

obscene

Not that it matters but wanted to report people are seeing the exact same problem with my project. I rolled back the update personally. Going to add a bootup option to my game like holding Option-V to turn on vsync and alternate sync mode and send an announcement out.

Who else misses Windows 7?

EDIT: Is there any way to detect this problem on our end? Like check the windows version then turn on/lock vsync/alterernate method by default? os_get_info()???

Last edited:
K

Kenjiro

Not that it matters but wanted to report people are seeing the exact same problem with my project. I rolled back the update personally. Going to add a bootup option to my game like holding Option-V to turn on vsync and alternate sync mode and send an announcement out.

Who else misses Windows 7?

EDIT: Is there any way to detect this problem on our end? Like check the windows version then turn on/lock vsync/alterernate method by default? os_get_info()???
Yeah, it's definitely a pain. I have a section of my game where I turn off vSync to let the loader run at full speed. So, the update bugs this out unfortunately.

obscene

I just used os_get_info() for the first time, and assuming I'm doing it right, it only gives video card info which isn't too helpful here...

upload_2017-6-20_19-37-7.png

K

Kenjiro

You'd probably need a DLL to query the Windows version unfortunately. Probably fairly trivial to do though.

Hit me up if you get to the point of needing something like this. :)

obscene

Well I don't really, really need it :p But I would sure use it and others would too, would probably be a good marketplace item. ;) I'd buy it.

obscene

Did some testing. Apparently GM has a built in way to get the OS and Version. However, I am using Windows 10 and GM says I'm using 8 so that wasn't helpful either...

upload_2017-6-21_18-46-29.png

Last edited:
K

Kenjiro

Did some testing. Apparently GM has a built in way to get the OS and Version. However, I am using Windows 10 and GM says I'm using version 8 so that wasn't helpful either...

View attachment 10621
Yeah, it will be getting it from the build manifest. Had that problem initially when I started writing the OS detection DLL. Had to go about it a slightly different way to get it working properly.

T

turpeluren

Thanks for this thread! Was afraid all my previous games were unplayable... :))

S

ScemEnzo

Came here for the same issue, resolved forcing VSync.
Hope something is moving on for resolving this Windows 10 problem