• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is GMS1.4 slower than GMS1.2?

M

Misty

Friend of mine said GMS1.2 is twice as fast as GMS1.4.

I don't know where to download GMS1.2 and I am afriad if I install it it will delete GMS1.4 so I'm afraid to test this.

All I know in the matter is that My game was running at over 200 fps with 3200 3d triangles. Then when I added 6 d3d_blocks, the fps went to half.
So like just 6 d3d_blocks can kill your game, but models saves your game and brings you to glory.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I'm willing to bet that they just were testing 1.4 on a project with sleep margin set to 1ms (instead of common values like 15ms). GMS 1.2 was released in 2013 (and several thousand resolved bug reports ago) so you definitely don't want to be doing anything with it.

M

Misty

OMG you are soooo far behind. and yes I would be afraid if I was you...

http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/release-notes-studio.html

Click the version you want to install by clicking the green version number... so you can go back to 1.2 if you stuff falls apart.

Make sure you backup your project first
Hmm I think you have the reverse temporal order...I have gms1.4 so I want to go back to gms1.4 if gms1.2 falls apart.

I'm willing to bet that they just were testing 1.4 on a project with sleep margin set to 1ms (instead of common values like 15ms). GMS 1.2 was released in 2013 (and several thousand resolved bug reports ago) so you definitely don't want to be doing anything with it.
Hmm he said gms1.2 had double framerate. I am willing to deal with the bugs if it gives me a double frame rate. I research sleep margin and it says a higher sleep margin stabilizes fps, so i will put it to 15 like you say. But on the other hand, I dont think the sleep margin will double my fps. I am still trying to figure out how gms1.2 doubles the fps, but I am afraid to install gms1.2 because I fear it will delete gms1.4.

Z

zendraw

ive just read the manual that its best to keep the sleep margin to 1ms and only to somthing higher if using a slower machine or somthing. shuld one consider rising it? im really not sure.

M

Misty

Well someone said that you can't have N64 quality graphics in GM, but I think they are totally wrong.

If you know what you are doing you can have n64 quality graphics at a higher fps than an original n64.

O

orange451

With only 3200 triangles, you should have in the thousands of fps, not 200. Unless you somehow don't have a graphics card in your computer, or you're using something from the mid 90s.

K

Kenjiro

Well someone said that you can't have N64 quality graphics in GM, but I think they are totally wrong.

If you know what you are doing you can have n64 quality graphics at a higher fps than an original n64.
N64 had an absolute maximum resolution of 720 x 576 and was released 21 years ago.

If you can't match its performance in GMS, you need to refactor your code somewhat.

M

Misty

With only 3200 triangles, you should have in the thousands of fps, not 200. Unless you somehow don't have a graphics card in your computer, or you're using something from the mid 90s.
Well an empty gmstudio 1.4 room only runs at 300 fps at most.

An empty gm8.1 room runs at 600 fps for some reason.

M

Misty

Is your computer from the mid 90s?
No. I think you are used to the power of modern machines and overestimate the power of computers from the 2000's. My computer was a higher end machine from the late 2000's and outperformed it's sister's of her day.

O

orange451

So you're upset that (modern) Game Maker isn't fast enough on ancient hardware?

GMWolf

aka fel666
My game was running at over 200 fps with 3200 3d triangles. Then when I added 6 d3d_blocks, the fps went to half.
Thats actually pretty poor... as mentioned before, even on a low end machine you should get much higher FPS.
And d3d_blocks have to rebuild VBO's every frame, so yeah, they are super slow.

As for 1.4 being 2x slower? Eh, hard to believe.
1.4 brought us Vertex Buffers. Check them out, you should be able to dramatically improve your performance with those, if you use them correctly.

M

Misty

So you're upset that (modern) Game Maker isn't fast enough on ancient hardware?
Im upset that you are saying Im upset. When did I say I was upset?

All I said was I wanted to double my fps.

Thats actually pretty poor... as mentioned before, even on a low end machine you should get much higher FPS.
And d3d_blocks have to rebuild VBO's every frame, so yeah, they are super slow.

As for 1.4 being 2x slower? Eh, hard to believe.
1.4 brought us Vertex Buffers. Check them out, you should be able to dramatically improve your performance with those, if you use them correctly.
Im saying when I have an empty room in GM1.4, it runs at 300 fps, but when i have an empty room in gm8.1 it runs at 600 fps. I dont want to use gm8.1 one so i am trying to analyze and figure out why this behavoir occurs. Also I cannot test my project in gm8.1 because it was made in studio1.4.

M

Misty

Have you checked your sleep margins? (as mentioned above).
I put it to 15 ms yesterday but I didnt notice any difference. However I forget to test the empty room theory with the 15 ms sleep margin and I will see if it does anything.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Could you also tell us what hardware you are running, as well as what OS? (and make sure your drivers are up to date)

Micah_DS

Alright, let's see if I can explain this. SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M OFF-BASE ON THIS:

Unfortunately, we can only guess on some of these things without YYG telling us the details of how things are working, because there is a lot going on 'under the hood', due to how high-level programming tends to work.
Other's who have better knowledge of computer science than me could more accurately guess and explain, but what I expect is going on is that 8.1 needs to run at a higher fps real because it's actually less optimized than Studio, and that Studio can run the game at a lower fps real, due to being more efficient, needing less cpu overhead (padding) to maintain a steady framerate for the game. Does this make sense?

In short, I'm saying Studio is likely running the game at a smaller fps real because it doesn't need to run as cpu-intensive as 8.1 does to get the same steady framerate.

It's worth noting that the goal of the fps real isn't to be as high as possible, but it's more accurately something you want to be just high enough to be trusted to maintain the desired fps on your game's low-end target. Having it any higher than that is a waste of cpu power.

EDIT: Guess I didn't exactly answer the OP about 1.2 being 2x faster than 1.4, but I'm wondering if it might just be something like what I've explained here, where it's running at less fps real but that actual fps are still maintained? If that's the case, then 1.4 is actually doing better than 1.2, yes?

Last edited:
K

Kenjiro

Alright, let's see if I can explain this. SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M OFF-BASE ON THIS:

Unfortunately, we can only guess on some of these things without YYG telling us the details of how things are working, because there is a lot going on 'under the hood', due to how high-level programming tends to work.
Other's who have better knowledge of computer science than me could more accurately guess and explain, but what I expect is going on is that 8.1 needs to run at a higher fps real because it's actually less optimized than Studio, and that Studio can run the game at a lower fps real, due to being more efficient, needing less cpu overhead (padding) to maintain a steady framerate for the game. Does this make sense?

In short, I'm saying Studio is likely running the game at a smaller fps real because it doesn't need to run as cpu-intensive as 8.1 does to get the same steady framerate.

It's worth noting that the goal of the fps real isn't to be as high as possible, but it's more accurately something you want to be just high enough to be trusted to maintain the desired fps on your game's low-end target. Having it any higher than that is a waste of cpu power.

Guess I didn't exactly answer the OP maybe though about 1.2 being 2x faster than 1.4, but I'm wondering if it might just be something like this, where it's running at less fps real but that actual fps are still maintained? If that's the case, then 1.4 is actually doing better than 1.2, yes?
Yes 8.1 is a bit different under the hood. For starters it uses the fixed function pipeline (i.e. no shaders). Which inhibits what can be achieved, but possibly makes a 'vanilla' project run faster. Then there's the 'application_surface' which is on by default. Turning this off will give an instant framerate boost.

I hazard a guess that a well written GMS project will beat an 8.1 project every time. Only a guess though, I don't have 8.1.

M

Misty

Turns out it was the fps real, I went in Debug and the debug fps was the same as Gm 8.1.

Two things:
1. I can't buy a videocard because its a laptop. But I have a Nvideo Geforce from 2008. I have windows 7 also.
2. I tried the sleep thing but putting it to 15 ms made the fps more unstable (the opposite of what I read from online.)