• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion So GMS 2 Education Version Uses 12-Month Licences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagician

Before I go into any details (and possibly a mild rant): do I understand correctly that the education version of GMS 2 uses new time-limited licences that have to be re-bought every year?

TheMagician

But if I understand the pricing correctly it means that when an educational institution plans on using one seat of GMS 2 for more than 3 years it would be cheaper to buy the regular non-education licence?

This permits schools or establishments to only get the seats they require for the term(s) they require them.
With GMS 1.4 you could already buy the exact number of seats you required.
And as the pricing stands right now even if a school buys the GMS 2 licences for the shortest length possible (12 months) they're already more expensive than those of GMS 1.4 which were for unlimited use.

Edit: This puts schools in a kind of dilemma: if they can't upgrade their educational licences to GMS 2 they will keep using GMS 1.4 - but the students can't access the free version of GMS 1.4 anymore.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We've been told by many schools that they get their budgets year on year, so the cheaper the better. Doing this allows us to give massive discounts to schools and help keep that yearly budget down - as they've requested.
If there was to be a single purchase, then it would be significantly more than it is now, which again isn't what the majority of the schools want. They've told us they need to squeeze as much as they can from their yearly budget.

If students require 1.x then it's currently included with GMS2.

If you need help with pricing, then contact the helpdesk.

Status
Not open for further replies.