• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE NOTES

Sabnock

In GMS1.4 i could choose different colours for my note text but it doesn't seem to be an option in GMS2?

i found it useful to be able to have different coloured text for my notes as it allowed me to prioritise them and also mark as say green if they we ticked off the list.

is there something i am missing?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Nope, notes are "just" basic text files. We have no plans to change this.

rIKmAN

Or a bit of paper with different coloured pens! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
There is a nice feature in another IDE that I use, where if you write NOTE: <Label> anywhere in the source code, it gets parsed and added to a list of notes that you can view and double click to be taken to that exact line - similar to the way 'Find' works in the GMS2 IDE where you can click on the results to be taken to them.

It's handy for leaving yourself reminders in the actual place the code needs adding: "NOTE: Add jump logic here" or "NOTE: Add collision check" etc, but having a single place to browse through them and use as an interface to keep track of them all.

The 'Notes' section in the Resource Tree could be used to list these notes, as in all fairness it being a text editor is a bit redundant.

Is it worth filing a suggestion, or nah?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What about using notes to load premade Json files... like game data (items, stats, localization.. translating the game).

note_read(note_name)

Or another thing... use notes as internal logs. Having functions that could

note_write(note_name, text)

This would write text to a note.. or even

note_append()

gnysek

I think that when they allow plugins, we can work on it on our own :) Maybe some WYSIWYG js editor embed in GM Ide window saving data to HTML file?

J

jcop

I use notes to document my own project structure as sometimes the various object interactions can get pretty complex and just having comments in the code isn't sufficient to provide an overview of how they relate to each other and work together. I also do this so various objects can more easily be reused in other projects.