• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX MAC Os IDE Questions

RowdyCoder

Forgive me if what I am asking has already been answered ;)

I've searched the forms and I've taken a look at the road map.
However, I haven't been able to answer a couple of questions.

1. Is there a beta version of GMS2 for MAC available for download?
2. If answer to question #1 is no. I take it the only way to run GMS2 on a mac is via a VM?, i.e., Fusion, VMware

EDIT
: I'm assuming YOYO Games is following the traditional bus calendar with Q2 starting on April 1st. So that would mean that any available beta download would follow shortly after 4/1/17? .... kinda answering my own question after the fact :D

Cheers.

Last edited:

Coded Games

1. No but there is a closed beta for it starting soon.

2. Currently the only way is to use a VM, or dual boot, or try using Wine. The Mac IDE is coming though.

RowdyCoder

@Coded Games - Thanks for the info. I'd love to be part of the closed beta. That would be cool.

As a software engineer I go back and forth with QA at least several times during our sprints :)

That said, ugh...I figured it was via a VM or something similar. I own a MAC and just prefer to use it as intended. So I'll just stick with developing on my WIN 8 machine until there is something available.

Appreciate you. Cheers.

gnysek

Since closed beta is coming next week, I think that open beta should be around late May (as they would fix all bugs from first wave around 2nd-3rd week of April, then release closed again, then they will again fix in 2-3 weeks, if 99% is OK they will make open beta, if not, again 2-3 weeks. Remember that because of QA, 2-3 may change to 3-4, and this is only my prediction, but based on how they releasing GMS2 since November).

RowdyCoder

@gnysek Makes perfect sense.

Is it typical for select members of the community to be a part of the closed beta? I've been a part of a couple closed betas for other software. So I realize that the intent is for those individuals to really put the software through it's paces unless asked to focus on given areas of "internal concern". Plus considering the time sensitive nature, continual feedback is paramount.

Honestly, I just hope/want to make sure that if some people are chosen for the closed beta. YoYo Games allows for some of that feed back to be present in the public domain allowing the community to see how it's going.

That said, if I'm stuck waiting for an open beta in a month from now so be it. I just want to get my hands on the software already.

For what I have seen thus far with the stability and workflow of the Windows version....I can't wait :D

gnysek

First of all - https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/414
Then, I think in first wave they gonna try to get as much different machines as they can (for example I have a mac mini from 2010, so I may be even an unique person with such old one), then they invite some more people in several batches, until it will be make an open one.

RowdyCoder

Thanks for the link!

Haha I have an old mac mini that is pre 2010 but it's pretty much a paper weight. Nothing worth while can be installed on it anymore.

However, I do have a late 2013 MacBook Pro but then so do a lot of other people too :cool:

Last edited:
A

atxgamedesigner

I'm hopeful that the licenses will work on either platform - so I could log into GMS2 on a mac using the same credentials I use on my PC without having to purchase a separate license - this would be a huge win.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm hopeful that the licenses will work on either platform - so I could log into GMS2 on a mac using the same credentials I use on my PC without having to purchase a separate license - this would be a huge win.
There was already a post on that and you don't have to pay for the Mac IDE... if you already purchased the license for Desktop Export you will have the Desktop export for Mac... if you purchased the Mobile Export you have Mobile Export for Mac... in other words you "are not buying" the IDE just the exports!
It like the IDE was "free"!

A

atxgamedesigner

Cool - I look forward to developing on my MacBook Pro.
I actually took my last macbook and completely wiped the drive and installed windows on it - none of that dual boot crap - just so I can have a nice laptop to use for GM development.

I'm pumped.

gnysek

I wonder it will allow to export to Windows back from Mac, same as previously you were able to export to mac from windows...

Last edited:

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Mac IDE closed beta would start today!! I listed myself for the closed beta but didn't receive any notification yet... still waiting anxiously :D

bml

I'm excited to check it out as well. Future MacOS support is why I bought GMS2 and I want to use it before I go all in and buy all the addons. It's early beta so I'm expecting problems, but it would be nice to know if my sad built-in GPU has a chance of running it decently. Based on the VM performance I'm seeing, I think it will be fine.

RowdyCoder

I'm definitely looking forward to it too. I signed up for the Beta and received an receipt acknowledgment but not a confirmation of acceptance.

@bml - I have the same mindset. I'm ready to put down the coin on the rest of the add-ons but I want to see what the experience is like with the MAC version first.

gnysek

Mac IDE closed beta would start today!! I listed myself for the closed beta but didn't receive any notification yet... still waiting anxiously :D
They wrote it will be given in batches, same as open beta for Windows so it may come every day (even several times a day). I think they do it in a way "oh, nobody reported any bugs in latest 6 hours? OK, send it to new guys, maybe they will find" ;) Or at least I hope there's no much bugs :p

But I'm really sure this "closed" beta won't be long, as this mainly to check that other macOS specific configurations/applications which YYG don't have on their computers won't break, cause the whole idea of writing IDE in C# was that it will run on macOS (and Linux probably) thanks to "mono" - a ".NET wannabe" for mac/linux, and should be identical to Windows one. Also, they wouldn't start any beta if it's not stable on their side, right?

I'm really looking forward to it, as I have 7 years old cheapest version of mac mini - if it will work there, it will work on all macs :)

Last edited: