• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is it safe to use things from opengameart.org?

M

Mobie

I'm really paranoid about downloading things from public sites, but opengameart.org seems to have some assets that I could use. Have you downloaded from there? I've poked around the site and can't find any mention of precautions they take against malware. I'm not even sure you could get any bugs from that kind of file, but, like I said, I'm paranoid.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I've downloaded from much shadier places and have been fine. Just make sure you have an antivirus and don't accidentally click on one of those "big green download button" ads.

Roderick

If you mean legally safe, make sure you read and understand the license the asset is released under. Each asset has different requirements, depending in what their author chooses.

If you're referring to virus/malware safety, then that site is completely fine.

T

Tyler Logsdon

You can't get a virus unless a system vulnerability is exploited (from your browser nonetheless) or if you execute a malicious file.

That being said, if you're paranoid, get the chrome extension https everywhere. That should patch up the system vulnerability part