• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Setting screen resolution

G

GlitchCrew

Hello!

In GM8 it was possible to set screen resolution in global game settings like this:
http://imgur.com/pN9oBWX

However in GM:S there is no such option:
http://imgur.com/JhGRJZA

Is there any way to set screen resolution equal to game (room) resolution?
Usual way of setting game resolution equal to screen resolution doesn't work very good in my case.

G

GlitchCrew

Actually, no. You can't set the screen resolution in GMS.

There are extensions freely available on the MarketPlace to allow you to do this, but it is generally strongly frowned upon forcing a display resolution change upon the user.
I've tried searching but haven't find anything relevant. Could you please provide a link?

G

GlitchCrew

Here's one. I can't vouch for its reliability etc as I haven't tried it out.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/741/set-display

It's free though, so no harm in trying I guess. :)
Thanks!

I still don't understand why devs decided to remove this feature from GMS. I see nothing wrong with changing screen resolution when a game starts and then changing it back to original when a game ends. Perhaps I should consider switching to GM8...

G

Greenhawk

Yes they will become distorted due to aspect ratio. This will be the same if you force a resolution change also as the aspect ratio will most likely be different also. For example, switching from 1600 X 900 to 1024 X 768. The first is 16:9 and the second is 4:3.

No quick way around this without some real planning.
Thanks for the backup (or for the real information :p) . I felt bad for not supplying enough information. :)

N

Nujuat

I'm not exactly what you're trying to do, but messing around with views and the application surface might help.

As for changing the aspect ratio - basically change the aspect ratio of the view to the aspect ratio of the screen (or window or whatever). I can go into more depth if you want.

RangerX

Yes in GameMaker Studio its your game that you adapt to different monitors and not the opposite.
And don't worry there's a way to make it clean in all situations. It depends what is your need.

The resolution of your game will be the first room's view size. Else if you don't use views (which I strongly advise against) your game resolution will be your first room's size.
Your game need to detect monitor's size when it boots up and resize the application surface to what makes sense for your game. Either displaying your game the biggest possible while respecting the screen ratio (perfectly doable just with the global settings) or again always having your game "pixel perfect" which requires a bit more work but is again perfectly doable.