• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Onscreen keyboard

A

Andrew Toomey

Hey guys,

I am using GameMaker to write a program that will record and analyse data -mainly number crunching with a few statistics in the mix - for academic purposes.

I would like to make my program portable so that I can use it on my tablet.

I have already written most of my scripts etc... but I am not sure about how to invoke the onscreen keyboard for data entry (field titles, value setting, etc...).

I have not written for Android devices before, and I have no intention of selling my software (it would only be useful to a handful of people).

I know that GameMaker was not designed for this purpose, but I used to use GameMaker about 12 years ago, and I don't feel like learning a whole new language just for this (I still remember enough to get by)

Thank you

Andrew

A

Abdulrahman

Using get_string works for normal keyboard on mobiles.
Hi Can you give me a nice example for making the onscreen keyboard for android pop up and be able to use it.
That will be very helpful:)
Im trying to make a game where you can make a custom name for your character, like the game Agar.io or Diep.io

G

Gabriel Amici

Guys, isn´t there any other way to do it witdout using the get_string? I wanted something that looked cooler and right now I don't have money to buy the extension, thanks for helping.