• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.0.5.76

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio-Installer-2.0.5.76.exe

Release notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 2.0.5.76 of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Last edited:

Fern

Everything seems to be working great! Only issue I've had is the IDE itself seems to be running at 10 fps (or lower). Everything is very choppy compared to the previous build. Perhaps there is a new setting for this that was added and not mentioned in the release notes?

L

Lemth

Anybody got 3D in HTML5 working? Just getting white (Chrome) or black (Internet Explorer) screens - both not even related to background color or any other color that I'm using.

C

CptLeafBlower

My sprites are not drawing in the correct order anymore? Adding the "wrongly" drawn object to another layer didn't work.
Anyone knows why, or has the same problem?

Fern

Everything seems to be working great! Only issue I've had is the IDE itself seems to be running at 10 fps (or lower). Everything is very choppy compared to the previous build. Perhaps there is a new setting for this that was added and not mentioned in the release notes?
Fixed this. Seems the new GMS 2 update thinks my desktop is a laptop on battery. Changing all the power saving settings to 100% fixed the performance issues.

P

psyke

This new update just broke the graphics of my whole project.
Everything is being draw incorrectly (things are not being draw in the correct layer, Draw GUI doesn't seems to work on some situations). Did you changed anything in the drawing/layering system?

My sprites are not drawing in the correct order anymore? Adding the "wrongly" drawn object to another layer didn't work.
Anyone knows why, or has the same problem?
I'm having the same exact problem.

Please release a Hot Fix as soon as possible, I need to work on my project.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have not knowingly done anything to break rendering can you please file a bug with an example project that illustrates the issue and we will take a look in the morning.

Russell

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Well, my game finally compiles on Linux! So yay for that!
However, my virtual keys for mobile/html5 show up in the ubuntu release.

P

psyke

We have not knowingly done anything to break rendering can you please file a bug with an example project that illustrates the issue and we will take a look in the morning.

Russell
My project is too big to send (can I send it in private message? Because it's a commercial project, I can't attach the file in the bug).

Did you changed the way layer_add_instance works?

I tested my old backups and they all show the same results, the sprites are being drawn in a reversal order, so the problem is definitely on GMS side.

P

psyke

I use this a lot in my project:
Code:
layer_add_instance(layer, id);
This basically adds the instance to the same layer, I use this to reorder objects with multiple parts on the same layer. Example:

Code:
// Add Parts
Head = AddPart(id, objMavra_Hair, layer);
Legs = AddPart(id, objMavra_Legs, layer);

// Reset Layer
layer_add_instance(layer, id);
This should make the player on top of the Head & Legs, but this is not happening in the new version, the Head & Legs are showing on top of the character.

EDIT: it's also not drawing correctly when you add instances on the same layer. zzz

EDIT 2: This seems to be a problem with objects being created on the same layer. Newly created objects are being sent to BACK, but they should be sent to FRONT.
Can you guys take a look into this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ednei

I found two problems in the Android Module:

The first problem is that the Android module is not generating the keystore file correctly:

bug.png

This problem has already been covered in this topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-gm2-android-module-setup-and-keystore.18558/

The second problem is this:

Code:
:com.efn.over:lint
Ran lint on variant debug: 64 issues found
Ran lint on variant release: 64 issues found
Wrote HTML report to file:///Y:/com.efn.over/build/outputs/lint-results-debug.html
Wrote XML report to file:///Y:/com.efn.over/build/outputs/lint-results-debug.xml
:com.efn.over:lint FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':com.efn.over:lint'.
> Lint found errors in the project; aborting build.

Fix the issues identified by lint, or add the following to your build script to proceed with errors:
android {
    lintOptions {
        abortOnError false
    }
}

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 31.182 secs

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe DONE
C:\Windows\system32\subst.exe /d Y:

C:\Windows\system32\subst.exe DONE
System.Exception: Build Failed
   em Igor.AndroidUtils.CreateAPK(Dictionary`2 _env, String _apk, String _arch, Boolean _exe)
   em Igor.AndroidBuilder.Deploy(Boolean _exe)
   em Igor.AndroidBuilder.Run()
elapsed time 00:01:25.1005719s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.47/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\ednei\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff"  -- Android Run started at 02/22/2017 20:44:54
FAILED : Run Program Complete
In the previous version my project was running correctly on my Android tablet, now it is showing lint problem.

Thanks.

Ednei

Kaliam

Having the same problem as others with instance drawing order when creating a new instance using instance_create_layer. To be specific, all that is going on is an instance created using the following code would appear underneath the instance that called the script. Previously to this update the created instance would be drawn in front of the object that called the instance_create_layer script.

//Create the module
createdObject = instance_create_layer(x, y, layer, Object_ID);

Note I am using the build in variable layer to create the new object on the same layer as the object that called the script

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's intentional, either way I hope this helps.

chubigans

Having the same issue with sprites sometimes being drawn behind objects. Also had the problem with choppy performance, had to raise the power settings for "%when application is not in focus" to 100% to get it back up to speed.

Also I have had hard crashes via hangs when I try to export a project after working for hours. I just reload GMS 2 and export on a fresh load but I've had it hang about three times now. Not a huge issue since I'm not losing any work but thought I'd make a note of it since it's fairly consistent.

A quick probably dumb question: is the INSERT key not supposed to function in the code editor?

gnysek

Having the same problem as others with instance drawing order when creating a new instance using instance_create_layer. To be specific, all that is going on is an instance created using the following code would appear underneath the instance that called the script. Previously to this update the created instance would be drawn in front of the object that called the instance_create_layer script.

//Create the module
createdObject = instance_create_layer(x, y, layer, Object_ID);

Note I am using the build in variable layer to create the new object on the same layer as the object that called the script

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's intentional, either way I hope this helps.
I think that manual states, that drawing on same layer doesn't guarantee which instance will be drawn first. If you want something to be over, use another layer.

gnysek

Ok, so my opinion:

- IDE animations are looking like 10 FPS.
- when compiling game, my notebook fans are going to 100%

- Font issue (rendered font is moved up ad left by several pixels) seems to be fixed - but only if you edit resource, change any of params, close, save project, edit font again, set old options, save again, ten run project:
font-1.jpg
BUT, for some fonts at smaller size, anti-aliasing seems to not work (compare 13 and 20):
font-2.jpg
Also, if font is bold, it's sometimes (don't know why) rendered as normal....:
font-2.png

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@gnysek - we fixed a bug for fonts that caused the texture page to be created incorrectly, to fix projects that already exist you do need to get the font texture regenerated, you need to edit the font to do that currently (we should have called that out in the Release Notes, apologies for that)

How anti aliasing is handled for a font is actually built into the font itself and many fonts have a cut off where they use a different version of the glyphs at lower point sizes (avoiding aliasing issues on curves at low resolutions) - so it may just be the font ttf that you are using at that point.

Not sure on the bold thing, if you have a specific issue file a bug and attach an example project to it.

Russell

gnysek

@rwkay - seems to be an issue when drawing at half of pixel ( 0.5 ) - so not sure you gonna fix this and call this bug, but I will report it "in case of" - cause it looks like little squashed :)
font-bold-issue.png

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Anybody got 3D in HTML5 working? Just getting white (Chrome) or black (Internet Explorer) screens - both not even related to background color or any other color that I'm using.
I see the same thing. Haven't managed to get 3D (vertex buffers) working in Studio 2 HTML5 from the beginning.

However, the latest Studio 1 EA build works fine with 3D in HTML5. So I expect Studio 2 will catch up at some point. (Same for box2d in HTML5 -- that works in Studio 1 EA, but not Studio 2 HTML5.)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@chance - Please file a bug with what you have found as Studio 2 HTML5 is further ahead than Studio 1 EA so we may have introduced a bug without knowing.

Russell

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@gnysek - err... rendering anything at 0.5 pixel boundary with interpolate between pixels on is going to have a visual artefact so that is not a bug

Russell

gnysek

Yeah, drawing it on surface should give better result, but I will just round x/y in this case, as that's what I want.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
There have been some complains about instances draw order inside a given layer...
I don't want to start a fight and I don't know if it is even possible to do what I'll propose but never the less:

For what I understand (and read) layers and depth is the same thing, I haven't started using it yet so.. I couldn't say much of it...
but what if

layers were like big container, and instance depth was used to sort instances inside that layer... much like a "ds_priority"...

each layer would be like a "ds_priority" and each instance would be an item inside it.. with priority being "depth"... instances with the same depth couldn't be ensured a draw order.

I'm not trying to tell you how I think things SHOULD be... I'm just giving an opinion and suggestion.
Is it too much of a change?! I think it would tidy up things. And it sure would be more clear.

The main reason I'm suggesting this is because when I use a multi part entity (composed of 4 instances), if I want to make sure it is drawn in the correct order I must separate it into different layers... but then I will not be able to take advantage of making layer invisible or even applying the same shader to all the entity parts (I would need to turn of visibility in 4 different layers or apply the same shader to those same layers :/) and if I had 8 of this entities in the scene (and it is a top down game where every entity has to have it's depth according to y axis) then i would need 8*4 different layers.

I know that I can make a controller and make the controller call:

Code:
with(child) event_perform(ev_draw, ...);
on all the children. But then this would be something kind of a paradigm shift....
from a event based approach to a object approach where the parent draw code, would calls children draw code. Which is cool (btw, not against it) but we don't have this kind of instance relationship (parent/child) included in the core engine.

I can be talking nonsense... but this is not a "particular to my game problem".. that could affect all top down games... and even side scrollers too.

Once again just trying to give some feedback ;) (not to start a war!) :D

::: EDIT :::
Using an analogy here, this is like: "Giving ears to everybody (event driven) and then saying the solution is too put earplugs on everybody and make one hearing instance controller the others (object driven)".

I'm not against one or another... but just was looking for a more coherent core system.

This kinda leads to the ideia of having another type of resource/asset (in the resource tree) much like an object (but lighter and faster) that doesn't have events. The ones with events would be the managers/controllers... and the rest would be just data/method holders... calling methods like:

lighter_instance.draw()
lighter_instance.update()
lighter_instance.destroy()

Now that I think of it.. it would be an approach that would make GMS2 compatible with GMS1 games and still bring something new to the table ;)
I know you can workaround it with arrays but... it looks just like it sounds.. a workaround... gives me the feeling I'm trying to hack GMS into doing something it is not suppose to do :).

Last edited:
L

Lemth

I see the same thing. Haven't managed to get 3D (vertex buffers) working in Studio 2 HTML5 from the beginning.

However, the latest Studio 1 EA build works fine with 3D in HTML5. So I expect Studio 2 will catch up at some point. (Same for box2d in HTML5 -- that works in Studio 1 EA, but not Studio 2 HTML5.)
Good to know it isn't just me not knowing how GMS2 3D works (though I did get it working on Windows.) Filed a bug that mentioned that HTML5 + any 3D function doesn't work. Hope that helps.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.
So those of us who have active accounts on the old Mantis YYG bug tracker should use that as first choice? I'm fine either way. I just want to file bug reports in the most effective way.

@chance - Please file a bug with what you have found as Studio 2 HTML5 is further ahead than Studio 1 EA so we may have introduced a bug without knowing.
Done. I filed a bug report about 3D in HTML5. (And earlier I filed one about box2D behaviour in HTML5.) I used the internal bug tracker that launches from within the Studio 2 IDE. Not from my Mantis account. Hope that's the right avenue.

Cpaz

Audio groups are fixed. As far as i'm concerned this update has been made for me.

But there was a bug I found in the room editor. When using the "pick tile on layer" tool and pick a tile on a layer that isn't the current layer, GMS 2 stops recognizing mouse inputs completely. I have to go into task manager and force quit.

I'm still experiencing high cpu load on my laptop (fans are on max speed and very noisy). Even when just idling in the IDE.
I know a few versions ago this was a known problem and it was supposed to be fixed, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Anyone else still having this same problem?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm still experiencing high cpu load on my laptop (fans are on max speed and very noisy). Even when just idling in the IDE.
I know a few versions ago this was a known problem and it was supposed to be fixed, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Anyone else still having this same problem?
Same here! but I'm on a Mac running on Virtual Machine.. so I can't complain too much xP

Same here, it's so bad that my laptop restarts due to overheating.

Fern

Go to Power Saving settings in the preferences and you could set it to 50% for everything. Should reduce usage. It'll also run at what feels like half the framerate but hey, it'll lower usage!

Bee

Before I experienced a game corrupting crash after the update, I was also having problems with sprites not drawing correctly. I'm not using layers. I have a grid with tiles and some of the tile types overlap, so they are drawn at a closer depth to draw over top of the tile above them. However they were being cut off as if being draw at a lower depth.

S

Schotti

I updated today and the new runtime (2.05.47) isn't working for me and I experience a lot of render problems. If I enter a new room, the objects seem to be created with a huge time delay and they seem to flicker if I move the player in the room (see gif). I changed the runtime back to 2.0.4.42 and everything is fine again without any delay and flickering. What could it be?!

Cpaz

Are you not supposed to be able to use mouse wheel to scroll in the script editor???

Because you can't. It's weirding me out.

T

Toomuchbob

How often are updates released? Because of the bug I reported with vertex shaders I'm unable to continue working on my main project. Is it fairly often?

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We have made a quick patch update for 2.0.5 - 74 http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html
http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html
This is mainly an IDE and exports stability release, fixing a number of the issues we've had reported.

However, we have also added new Gesture events to allow simple detection of taps, double-taps, drags and flicks, which vastly simplifies interaction on touch-screen devices. On desktop devices, the mouse will also act as the first finger, allowing you to test single-touch events.

There is also a new layer compositing system in the Image Editor, which allows for more accurate compositing and better layer effects in the future.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
There was a problem with our upload and the associated runtime with the fix was not made public at the same time, I have fixed the issue on the server directly and if you do not have runtime version 2.0.5.49 then please restart and download the runtime directly.

Apologies for this

Russell

Thanks to the team for their hard work!

One small issue: I am getting a series of errors when I run my game as of the last update. I tried clearing my cache but that didn't help. The game still runs correctly after I press "OK" to get rid of all the error messages. It's not a big deal since it doesn't seem to be causing any issues, but figured I'd post the errors here.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
There was a problem with our upload and the associated runtime with the fix was not made public at the same time, I have fixed the issue on the server directly and if you do not have runtime version 2.0.5.49 then please restart and download the runtime directly.

Apologies for this
Got it. And everything appears to work fine. I haven't done thorough regression testing, but the box2d fix for HTML5 seem to works fine. I'm VERY VERY happy to see this working (it was broken in the last couple of 1.4 releases).

Still no 3D in HTML5, so I hope that's coming soon. Anyway, well done guys!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
3D should work in WebGL on HTML5 but it will not come to Canvas (mainly because it is too complex) - what specifically do you think is not working???? (given that it needs to be WebGL to get 3D)

Russell

gnysek

I've tried to install it at work, and it keeps installing runtime since hour (2.0.5.49). Any ideas ?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
3D should work in WebGL on HTML5 but it will not come to Canvas (mainly because it is too complex) - what specifically do you think is not working???? (given that it needs to be WebGL to get 3D)
WebGL works fine for drawing primitives -- i.e. using draw_vertex_texture() in the DRAW event. But when I build a 3D object using vertex buffers, and then submit that buffer in the DRAW even, I see a blank screen. However, it draws correctly in test/Windows mode.

3D vertex buffers (using vertex_submit) works fine in HTML5 GM 1.99EA.

(I submitted a bug report a few days ago, with an example using a simple vertex_buffer.)

Ednei

I found two problems in the Android Module:

The first problem is that the Android module is not generating the keystore file correctly:

View attachment 7223

This problem has already been covered in this topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-gm2-android-module-setup-and-keystore.18558/

The second problem is this:

Code:
:com.efn.over:lint
Ran lint on variant debug: 64 issues found
Ran lint on variant release: 64 issues found
Wrote HTML report to file:///Y:/com.efn.over/build/outputs/lint-results-debug.html
Wrote XML report to file:///Y:/com.efn.over/build/outputs/lint-results-debug.xml
:com.efn.over:lint FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':com.efn.over:lint'.
> Lint found errors in the project; aborting build.

Fix the issues identified by lint, or add the following to your build script to proceed with errors:
android {
    lintOptions {
        abortOnError false
    }
}

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 31.182 secs

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe DONE
C:\Windows\system32\subst.exe /d Y:

C:\Windows\system32\subst.exe DONE
System.Exception: Build Failed
   em Igor.AndroidUtils.CreateAPK(Dictionary`2 _env, String _apk, String _arch, Boolean _exe)
   em Igor.AndroidBuilder.Deploy(Boolean _exe)
   em Igor.AndroidBuilder.Run()
elapsed time 00:01:25.1005719s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.47/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\ednei\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff"  -- Android Run started at 02/22/2017 20:44:54
FAILED : Run Program Complete
In the previous version my project was running correctly on my Android tablet, now it is showing lint problem.

Thanks.

Ednei
The same problem persists in version 2.0.5.74.

I've reported these issues as a bug.

Ednei