OFFICIAL Stepping down as Community Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Hello Everybody!

I often reflect on just how much I owe to GameMaker. Every major step and success in my career can be traced back to this software. From my very first job as a junior designer at Ubisoft Reflections landed from a uni project written in GM, to my first Steam release as an indie, to my YouTube tutorial channel, to here as Community Manager for YoYo Games.

I’ve had an awesome couple of years at YoYo Games and I’ve been super happy and proud to represent the company. As a veteran GameMaker user I used to think I knew quite a bit about the tool and how it works, but the number of things I’ve learned about GameMaker in my time here is mind blowing. YoYo has an incredible, very experienced team and after waiting excitedly myself for GameMaker Studio 2 I was so honoured and excited to be able to play my part in bringing it to the world.

I’ve loved being the bridge between our team and our community of fantastic developers. Getting to see and promote all of the amazing projects being made with this tool and having the privilege to work with developers of some of my all time favourite games has been unbelievably inspiring.

There’s so much about this role I love and I feel so lucky to have been given this opportunity. However, I’ve now decided it’s time for me to step down as Community Manager and return to life as an independent developer.

Working with so many talented developers, seeing and promoting so much amazing work on a daily basis pulls very hard at a place in my heart that knows that where I really belong is among that community as a developer. Developing games is what I live and breathe and is what I’m inexorably drawn back to. I also want to continue to support the GameMaker community with more of the video tutorials I’m perhaps best known for. This is content I have sorely missed making, and that I simply can never give the love, attention and time that it deserves while also performing the full time role of Community Manager. The team here, many of them enthusiastic developers themselves, fully understand my desire and have wished me well.

The 28th of February will be my final day here and I’m going to miss the team enormously. While we have already started to advertise for the position (apply now if interested! I can’t recommend the team in Dundee enough.) YoYo needs the right person for the job and it may be some time before a full replacement is found. In the meanwhile it should be noted that plans have been made to cover all of our major social communications in the meanwhile. Little will change on this front and there will still be plenty of community posts and engagement from YoYo.

I have loved working with this awesome team who I owe so much to, and working with this super enthusiastic community who I look forward to rejoining as another video game developer doing what they love.

-Shaun

S

StuffandThings85

I've been missing your tutorials, can't wait for you to get back into it! I've even started doing some (very basic ones) myself.

hippyman

It feels like you became the community manager only yesterday! I think it's cool that you're going with what you feel most passionate about. I'm pretty sure a lot of your YouTube fans will be glad to see you come back.

G

Greenhawk

Best of luck in your endevours, man! Your tutorials were very helpful in GMS 2!

rIKmAN

Good luck on your new projects @ShaunJS, look forward to seeing your next game.

With regards to the job advertisement, there is no salary range shown on there which is an important piece of information for anyone considering applying for the position.

N

NeoIdea

Shaun, you are an amazing dude. And honestly I have you to thank for really changing my life around. Just watching your asteroids tutorial empowered me. It empowered me with the ability to program and it empowered me in life. I quit smoking, drinking, gave up on poor "friends", even cutting back on sugar. You helped show me that I am capable of doing anything that I truly want to do. With your simple tutorials, you kick started my life to truly change. I hope you understand so you can capitalize on your skill, whether it be to teach others or to teach yourself. Godspeed, Shaun.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I nominate han.
I actually wanted to nominate you instead. Your sharp wit, comprehensive knowledge of GM history and intolerance for made-up crap are what the GMC desperately needs.

Although I don't agree with "nominating han", I do see one merit to your point, though: If he takes over, maybe power users like us would be compelled to devote more time to our work than posting the GMC.

C

Chris S.

Dear Shaun,

Before I watched your tutorials, I'd experiment with GM Drag 'n' Drop. After I watched your videos on YouTube, I decided to actually learn GML and try my hardest to make a game worth playing. You've totally inspired me to program with excellence. In whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck, bro.

Cheers!

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Wish you well!

Are you going to stay active on GMC?
Don't see why I wouldn't.

Sounds exciting. Are you planning to join a small team, or go it alone? Any games on the near-term horizon?
I'm just going back to solo stuff for a while to begin with. I have a project called Calamity that I've been working on and off on and have restarted like 100 times that I really want to give a serious effort. There's not much there to talk about just yet though.

B

Blakkid489

Well Mr.. . .You are the soul reason I wanted to change my ways in the platformer universe. Your tutorials have helped me understand GMS more than anyone on youtube. So honestly, I'm glad you're coming back to the indie side of things lol (not sure that made sense :oops:)

Will you have your Patreon account still for support? If so I'll gladly pledge sir.. . . and welcome back :D

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Noes, who am I going to use as a scapegoat to blame for stuff that goes wrong now? D:

Jokes aside, you've done so much for this community and its members throughout all the years, regardless of what your label was... it's noble and exemplary. You and everything you've done for us will be remembered. :)

Good luck with your future endeavors, and I'm glad you'll still be around!

TehCupcakes

This is bittersweet news. I think you have done a phenomenal job in your position, so I was sad when I read the title! But it sounds like you're still going to be around, just devoting more time towards development. I can't really blame you, and it sounds like a great move for you to focus on what you're really passionate about. Best of luck!

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Well Mr.. . .You are the soul reason I wanted to change my ways in the platformer universe. Your tutorials have helped me understand GMS more than anyone on youtube. So honestly, I'm glad you're coming back to the indie side of things lol (not sure that made sense :oops:)

Will you have your Patreon account still for support? If so I'll gladly pledge sir.. . . and welcome back :D
It's likely to come back in some form but it won't be the same "x tutorials per y, vote on subjects" stuff I did before.

F

Forester

I hope this decision helps you to find time to do what you really want and love to do. The videos were amazing, and I think that it will be great to see you around as a fellow developer. Always follow your dreams...

F

factnfiction101

I just started watching your Youtube tutorials :( Good luck with your game, I know what it's like to restart old projects. I think I'm better at making projects than completing games. I haven't used GM since 2012, I think :?

I

IngoLingo

I was kinda sad when you halted your YouTube tutorials but I am glad you started back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.