• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Notes about getting the Android Module to work for GMS Version 1.4.1763 as of May 1, 2017

Greetings,

the following document is a follow on with a few notes to the main android tutorial, this is specifically about how to get the android module working from scratch and i didnt address many other things you need to know about that are in the tutorial (like what the keystore is which is something you do need to know but does not require setting up anything outside GMS).

this is designed to work on a windows 7 + or above operating system at 64-bits, it will work on 32 bits as well but i just have never used it for compiling an apk

please read the official tutorials before using these notes

here is the android tutorial

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753498-GameMaker-Studio-Android-SDK-and-NDK-setup-

make note of the version support page on the help desk

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753748-SDK-Version-Support

you will now need to download and install a series of files onto your computer. make note that the 32 bit versions of these programs should work regardless of outcome but in a few situations, if you have a 64 but computer, some of the programs can be bumped up and this can assist you in various facets (like to increase the dump cache in java so as to speed up compiling times). i have not tested all combinations but i will make note where i have been successful with 64 bit.

please download the following files and install them in the same order that they are listed

GMS 1.4.1763:
http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/GMStudio-Installer-1.4.1763.exe

JDK:
jdk-8u102-windows-i586.exe (32bit) OR jdk-8u102-windows-x64.exe (64 bit)

both versions will work i recently just tested and confirmed this.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html
(please note that Java might ask you to login/create a login before you download this file, i believe you can use what ever information you wish.)

SDK:
tools_r25.2.5-windows.zip
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r25.2.5-windows.zip

NDK:
android-ndk-r12b-windows-x86.zip
you wont find this directly displayed on the NDK information page but it is in the google repository
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/android-ndk-r12b-windows-x86.zip

take 'android-ndk-r12b-windows-x86.zip', unpack it, and put the contents in a file at C:\android-ndk-r12b

take 'tools_r25.2.5-windows.zip', unpack it, and put it in a file at c:/android-sdk and run "android.bat" (you might need to run as administrator), this will open the SDK Manager.

Now for one of the huge stumbling blocks, while downloading the build tools, API and extras you will not be able to find a support library (as of today) even if you tick the obsolete box. also the suggestions of finding the local maven library also wont turn up anything else useful, i believe it was merged into one of the other files and ill talk about this more later.

you want to download (as of May 1, 2017):

Android SDK tools REV 25.2.5
Android SDK Platform-tools REV 25.0.5
Android SDK Build-tools REV 25.0.2

inside the 'Android 7.1.1 (API 25)' folder
SDK Platform REV 3
Sources for Android SDK REV 1

inside 'Extras' folder

Amazon Fire Phone Build Tools REV 1
Kindle Fire USB Driver REV 8
Android Support Repository REV 47
Google Play Services REV 38
Google Repository REV 47
Google Play Licensing Library REV 1
Google Play Billing Library REV 5
Google USB Driver REV 11

And at the bottom of the list, already installed, should be 'Tools R25.2.5 Windows REV 25.2.5'

if you need access to amazon related file please input the following at 'tools>manage add-on sites>user defined sites'

"https://s3.amazonaws.com/android-sdk-manager/redist/addon.xml"

now once you have all the above installed, go inside of game maker studio and please be sure that in 'File>Preferences>Android>SDK' that you have the following locations lined up:

Android SDK Location : 'C:\android-sdk'
Android NDK Location : 'C:\android-ndk-r12b'
Java JDK Location :
(32 bit) 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_102'
(64 bit) 'C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_102'

and that you check the two boxes direction below the locations to confirm the status of all the programs you just installed.

Finally, go to 'Global Game Settings>Android/Fire' and fill out the following information

Target SDK : 25
Min SDK : 17
Compile SDK : 25

Build Tools : 25.0.2
Support Lib : 25.1.0

i have not covered how to link up an android device to your machine or how to create a keystore, please look at the original tutorial for information on that, otherwise if you followed all of these steps (and have the licenses needed) then you should be able to fully compile any game as needed into an apk file to play on an android device.

Im not entirely sure where the support lib is now stored but it has been updated from its old REV of 23.2.1, you can still use it at that number but you have to reduce the target sdk and compile sdk to 23 to get it to work (after downloading the applicable API 23 files). if you use all the numbers i posted above this should not be a problem and do not need to download any additional files.

if you have any questions please let me know. i sincerely hope this helps someone have a smooth ride getting their system up and running.

have a great day.

Last edited:
Happy to help pushloop and thank you.

please make note that if you are compiling a game for the amazon store and are using the game circle exstention found in the marketplace

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2480/amazon-gamecircle

that you might need to slightly modify the file if you also have extensions in place for the google store as well

please look at the following post for more information (you have to remove/change the name of one jar file and then everything will compile without a problem.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/amazon-gamecircle-build-failed.7806/#post-55383

this only applies as of January 2, 2017 and if the amazon game circle extension is updated after this date (currently the last update was October 15, 2015) it might not apply.

Good luck.

you want to use 32 bit (x86) for everything as of right now, i am sure more combinations do work but at the moment i do not have enough clarification on it and would not dare to speculate without exhaustive testing.

even if you have a 64 bit machine (which i do) you want to use the 32bit (x86) programs.

as for the JDK i suspect that more recent versions do work but we are told to use 8u102 in the support page and my main concern was not in trying to be on the bleeding edge of everything but to simply get the most recent version of gms 1.4 operational for personal use. unlike the concern about the PNGLIB vulnerability earlier this year their is no major demand to update immediately to fix a major problem, the combination above works and that is good enough for me. :)

so until someone more knowledgeable than myself can help shed light on the situation, i would advise to please use the the 32 bit version JDK 8u102 and if you do decide to use 8u112 please also use the 32 bit version of it as well.

happy to help, have a great day.

G

Gabriel

I've followed all the instructions in here, but when I tell Game Maker the "Android SDK Location" it says "Cannot find Android SDK in this location" and "Platform Tools Directory does not exist". As I opened the folder, after installing everything you mention here, there is in fact no folder called "platform-tools". Apparently the install location is now different.

What should I do?

[EDIT]
take 'tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip', unpack it, and put it in a file at c:/android-sdk and run acrobat.bat, this will open the SDK Manager.
Also, a little note: the file name to open the SDK Manager is "android.bat", as there is no such file as "acrobat.bat".

[EDIT 2]
Ok, so I managed to find the installed packages were actually in a hidden folder called "VTRoot\HarddiskVolume2\Android", pointed it as the Android SDK Location and everything's fine. The thing is... when I try to export my apk I get the following error message:
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=118217,9219
Stats : GMA : sp=245,au=103,bk=14,pt=11,sc=12,sh=0,fo=16,tl=20,ob=246,ro=97,da=0,ex=2,ma=2697,fm=0x4D7D26F1
cmd /c "subst Z: "C:\Users\Gabriel\Documents\GameMaker\Cache\Ghost Hitch\Android\Default" && Z: && cd \com.playhouse.ghosthitch && "C:\Users\Gabriel\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\runner\gradle\gradlew" assembleRelease lint "

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Could not create service of type ScriptPluginFactory using BuildScopeServices.createScriptObjectConfigurerFactory().

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
cmd /c "subst /d Z:"
This was already happening before I followed this tutorial and that's actually the reason why I was recommended to come here. But apparently, the issue persists.

Any solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Also, a little note: the file name to open the SDK Manager is "android.bat", as there is no such file as "acrobat.bat".
To open the SDK Manager there is an "SDK Manager.exe" file, do you not have that?

Sounds like you may have some issue with the install, the missing platform-tools foler etc.
Try deleting it and reinstalling?

G

Gabriel

To open the SDK Manager there is an "SDK Manager.exe" file, do you not have that?

Sounds like you may have some issue with the install, the missing platform-tools foler etc.
Try deleting it and reinstalling?
In the previous version there was one, but now that I've installed the one suggested in this post, it is different.
From what I've understood, it is now a component of Android Studio and there is the option to install it individually (without installing Studio), so that's why it does not have an "exe" file.

I can't even find the old version anymore.

rIKmAN

In the previous version there was one, but now that I've installed the one suggested in this post, it is different.
From what I've understood, it is now a component of Android Studio and there is the option to install it individually (without installing Studio), so that's why it does not have an "exe" file.

I can't even find the old version anymore.
I don't have Android Studio and I have Android Tools.exe, but I installed an old version a while ago and have just kept it updated so you may be right.

Here are links for older ADT files which you can try and see if they update.

x86: https://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702.zip
x64: https://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702.zip

G

Gabriel

Have you tried installing and updating SDK Manager from those links?
Does the error change?
Yes, because I deleted the ".gradle" folder (I had another issue prior to this one, so some website suggested I could do that) hoping it would be created again, but that does not happen, which makes me assume it definetly has something to do with permissions.

rIKmAN

Yes, because I deleted the ".gradle" folder (I had another issue prior to this one, so some website suggested I could do that) hoping it would be created again, but that does not happen, which makes me assume it definetly has something to do with permissions.
If I were you, I'd backup my projects (just to be safe), uninstall everything, reboot and re-install everything.

This is the guide I followed to get everything setup, maybe try looking through that as I know it definitely works - I have not tested the guide in this thread personally as I already have everything setup from the earlier guide I linked.

Make sure you use the right NDK for your version of GMS.

G

Gabriel

If I were you, I'd backup my projects (just to be safe), uninstall everything, reboot and re-install everything.

This is the guide I followed to get everything setup, maybe try looking through that as I know it definitely works - I have not tested the guide in this thread personally as I already have everything setup from the earlier guide I linked.

Make sure you use the right NDK for your version of GMS.
I had everything setup too before and all was fine, but the first issue came when I updated Platform Tools to the latest version and from then on, it was like a snowball of issues.

Oh well... thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try.

I

Insur

Very useful guide, worked first try with no errors!

The only problem I'm having is that sound can't be heard when running the app on android. Has anyone had this issue? My audio files are in ogg. When I press the volume buttons on my device, it changes the media volume, usually meaning that there is sound playing.
Edit: silly mistake, fixed it

Gabriel you need to do a completely clean install, wipe out everything start from scratch and try again

i believe this will work but you might also want to use a program like revo uninstaller and look for any artifacts then begin again, i promise you the settings will work but your error looks like its trying to pull up information from an odd location.

help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753708-How-to-perform-a-fresh-install

ill take a look around and try to see if i can pin down what might be causing this on my end

good luck.

G

Gabriel

Nice one, looks like that confirms @Gabriel has something specific to his machine or his method of install that is causing issues.
Gabriel you need to do a completely clean install, wipe out everything start from scratch and try again

i believe this will work but you might also want to use a program like revo uninstaller and look for any artifacts then begin again, i promise you the settings will work but your error looks like its trying to pull up information from an odd location.

ill take a look around and try to see if i can pin down what might be causing this on my end

good luck.
Guys, I found what was causing the issue and it was the much stupidest thing.... ANTIVIRUS!!!

So, apparently my Comodo Antivirus comes with a sandbox mode which runs unknown programs under safe circumstances so my pc is prevent from any eventual harm.
What was happening was:
- When I installed the SDK packages, they were not being installed in the same folder as "tools", and they were being installed in the Sandbox folder instead "VTRoot".
- When I exported my apk, GameMaker needed to download the gradle stuff, but Comodo was forcing every file to get to the Sandbox folder, so no wonder GameMaker was not able to find it in the right place and therefore it reported a build failure.

I spent two weeks going mad, giving up and coming back at it, trying to find out a solution and I still can't believe it was as simple as turning "Sandbox Mode" off on my antivirus.

It really is true when they say that machines are always right.

By any means, thank you so much for trying to help, guys! And do pay attention to your antiviruses before loosing your mind when something goes wrong :cool:

T

Tirnam

Hello
My game maker studio version is 1.4.1760
when i build android target, i see this error in compile window after 1 minute:
Code:

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring root project ''.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':classpath'.
   > Could not download annotations.jar (com.android.tools:annotations:25.1.0)
      > Could not get resource 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/tools/annotations/25.1.0/annotations-25.1.0.jar'.
         > Could not GET 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/tools/annotations/25.1.0/annotations-25.1.0.jar'.
            > Connection to https://jcenter.bintray.com refused

* Try:
Run with —stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with —info or —debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 28.659 secs

Create finished: 07:52:37 p.m
please help me
thanks

Bingdom

Googledom
What SDKs did you install?
What SDKs have you selected in global settings?

Check you have setup everything correctly.
Check that you have an internet connection. First export requires an internet connection.

Last edited:
I

Insur

take 'tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip', unpack it, and put it in a file at c:/android-sdk and run acrobat.bat, this will open the SDK Manager.
There is no such file, you have to run android.bat

G

Gabriel

Hello
My game maker studio version is 1.4.1760
when i build android target, i see this error in compile window after 1 minute:
Code:

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring root project ''.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':classpath'.
   > Could not download annotations.jar (com.android.tools:annotations:25.1.0)
      > Could not get resource 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/tools/annotations/25.1.0/annotations-25.1.0.jar'.
         > Could not GET 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/tools/annotations/25.1.0/annotations-25.1.0.jar'.
            > Connection to https://jcenter.bintray.com refused

* Try:
Run with —stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with —info or —debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 28.659 secs

Create finished: 07:52:37 p.m
please help me
thanks
Don't know if it is related, but have you checked if you have set your IP correctly in Preferences > Web Server?
If you need help with that, check this.

T

Tirnam

What SDKs did you install?
What SDKs have you selected in global settings?

Check you have setup everything correctly.
Check that you have an internet connection. First export requires an internet connection.
thanks
please check my attachment images

Attachments

T

Tirnam

Java version: 1.8.0_72
I don't build with NDK
I build with Android Fire
but my NDK version is r10e

rIKmAN

Is there any reason you are using 1760?
What have you installed in the Extras folder in SDK Manager?
I think you should be using r12b for 1760.

Have you followed the guide in the OP?

T

Tirnam

thanks
that problem is solved
i have new problem
i see this error now:
Code:
> Could not resolve com.android.support:support-v4:.
         > Could not get resource 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/support/support-v4//support-v4-.pom'.
i downloaded support_r23.2 file
and that has these files:
[Attached Image]

i don't know where copy that files

Attachments

T

Tirnam

Check that you don't have an anti-virus blocking game maker from accessing the internet.
No, don't exist any limiting or blocking with anti virus.
i want to know where is address of support_r23.2 files

T

Tirnam

for error on gson-2.7 and universal-image-loader-1.9.5, what's need to update?

rIKmAN

for error on gson-2.7 and universal-image-loader-1.9.5, what's need to update?
Seriously, uninstall the broken mess of SDKs you have now and start again.

Follow through the guide from the OP, nobody else has had the problems you are having and the guide has been confirmed to work by multiple people so you obviously have had something go wrong somewhere.

Start fresh, turn off any antivirus or software that could interfere, make sure you are on an Administrator account and follow the OP through step by step.

@tirnan please start again and follow the instructed i posted, you are doing many things which i don't understand and i don't think are needed to solve your problem, everything is in the post.

@NinjaGMC this actually is not that bad at all you should see how hard it was just a few years ago compared to now, its just for want of some missing documentation and thats why i am trying to provide it.

gmc2 is rather remarkable, it still has some ways to go but if its handled right both on the coding side and on the legal side (not asking for monthly payments or to shell out a cut of your earning) then in many ways this is still an excellent solution, we just need more concise information.

A

Ali Osman

error.jpg

Please anyone can help?? Please..

I did everything as said.. But I am getting this error.
(Sorry for bad english.. I am from Turkiye,Kastamonu)

I have 1.4.1763
jdk-8u102-x86
ndk-r12b-x86
windows 10 x64

Please.. I did format, re-install, etc... Thankful for response..
sdk-a.jpg
sdk-b.jpg

ggs.jpg

T

TheVandal421

Alright guys. I am having a heck of a time with this. TRYING to wrap my brain around it. I have this error.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':com.companyname.dd-tetris-rot:processArmeabi-v7aReleaseResources'.
> com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: org.gradle.process.internal.ExecException: Process 'command 'C:\android-sdk\build-tools\25.0.2\aapt.exe'' finished with non-zero exit value 1

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

My Global settings are in exactly like posted. My vcersions of software are as follows.

GM-Studio - 1.4.1763
Android SDK - 25.2.5
Android NDK - r12b
Java - jdk1.8.0_102

SDK tools 25.2.5
SDK platform-tools 25.0.3
Build tools 25.0.2
Build tools 25.0.1

API 25 complete

wtf.jpg
With the extras as in the picture. I am at a loss and am bald, so I can't pull my hair out.... Any help would be great.

@TheVandal421

did you try using tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip instead of the entire sdk platform? i dont know if 25.2.5 works and the tutorial was running on 25.2.3

you are having some kind of gradle error could you pull up the lint log and take a look at it, another odd possibility, if the name of the game is com.companyname.dd-tetris-rot try removing the dashes "-", in the past i have had problems when using characters other than letters.

@Ali Osman

you are posting all over the place the advertisingbase.java file i dont believe fits under this catagory, you likely have to completely update your android module but for now just look at all these pages (yes i know you posted in a couple of them but this is the most obvious

https://encrypted.google.com/search...dvertisingbase.java"+site:forum.yoyogames.com

failing all this try doing a completely clean install,

good luck

T

TheVandal421

Thank you for the reply. It's driving me nuts. When I get home from work, I will check out the name thing. I originally downloaded r25.2.3 but somewhere along the line, it updated I do believe. I only used the links in this thread.... after failing on my own and then uninstalling everything that is.

T

TheVandal421

@JML THANK you very much for the help. I just got home from work, restarted and then changed the internal name of the game as you suggested and it compiled the first try!!!!! Excellent.

A

Adam Martinez

Doing a fresh re-install now.

About this... "take 'tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip', unpack it, and put it in a file at c:/android-sdk and run acrobat.bat, this will open the SDK Manager."

Is this "acrobat.bat" file supposed to be in the tools folder? I can't find it ;(

Also... I made a new empty folder C:\android-sdk and put the "tools" in there. Is this right?

A

Adam Martinez

@Gabriel "Also, a little note: the file name to open the SDK Manager is "android.bat", as there is no such file as "acrobat.bat".

Just seeing this now. Thank you.

skeddles

Issues:

1.)
Your link for the Java JDK doesn't have a download for the version you mention. I believe this is the correct download. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html#jdk-8u102-oth-JPR

2.)
also you wrote

I do not see an acrobat.bat. Did you mean android.bat? Running android.bat opens the Android SDK Manager.

3.)
Inside the SDK Manager, I do not see these downloads in the extras folder, even with obsolete checked
  • Amazon Fire Phone Build Tools REV 1
  • Kindle Fire USB Driver REV 8
4.)
I don't see Tools R25.2.3 Windows REV 25.2.3 anywhere

Last edited:
yes its android.bat, not acrobat.bat, apologize about that mistake i will correct it right now

amazon fire and kindle are seperate entities from the sdk manager system (ie not part of google) you can pull up a download link for them

and rev 25.2.3 has been updated to 25.2.5.

ill go fix those now.

thank you

and updated, when i have more time i should really go back in and clean up the writing so its easier to browse through.

also i posted a link to the amazon add on up above, if you use the following link you can get those fire and kindle files to download into the android sdk manager

https://s3.amazonaws.com/android-sdk-manager/redist/addon.xml

good luck :)

Last edited:
greetings,

just shamelessly self bumping this in case someone might find it useful, we are still running on 1.4.1763 so all the information here should work fine if anyone is having a problem.

when i have some free time ill try rewriting it from scratch to help clarify everything.

J

JJ The Jetplane

I am unable to open the SDK Manager by clicking android.bat...When clicked, a terminal pops up and disappears but that's it. I have these tools downloaded: tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip, found at this link: https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#downloads, using your tutorial as well as this one: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001368727-Setting-Up-For-Android...

I originally tried to use just your tutorial but then after doing everything, when I opened GameMaker and "check"ed the link to my SDK, it gave the error "KeyStone file not found".